Save Settings issue

Features wanted...
pixelsearch

Save Settings issue

Post by pixelsearch »

Hello,
A little problem I encountered in Configuration => StartUp & Exit => Save Settings on Exit (ticked)
Now, when "Include most-recently-used lists on Save" is UNticked, you shouldnt be allowed to modify the Items that shall be remembered across sessions, after having clicked the "Apply To..." button

The normal behavior found in other programs is :
* When you untick the main option ("Include most-recently-used lists on Save") then you can consult the items (which become greyed) but not tick/untick them
* When you tick the main option, then you are allowed to modify the sub items.
The same problem appears in "Save changes to disk immediately", its "Apply To..." button and its items list etc...

The easiest way to fix this could be to disable the "Apply To..." button when "Include most-recently-used lists on Save" is UNticked

Anyway, what a terrific Explorer, I just discovered it a few hours ago (I wonder why it is named XY ?)
Thanks for the great work Donald !

admin
Site Admin

Re: Save Settings issue

Post by admin »

Thanks! :D
pixelsearch wrote:The normal behavior found in other programs is :
* When you untick the main option ("Include most-recently-used lists on Save") then you can consult the items (which become greyed) but not tick/untick them
* When you tick the main option, then you are allowed to modify the sub items.
Yes, I know, but I wonder why this has to be like this. I might want to change a sub-setting for later use. Why should I be forced to enable the super-setting first?

pixelsearch

Post by pixelsearch »

Thanks for asking why :)
I can tell you exactly what happened to me here before I opened this thread, while checking the configuration :
* "Save settings on Exit ?" of course i keep it ticked because noone wants to check the configuration each time XYplorer is used.
* "Include most-recently-used lists on Save ?'' i unticked it because i'm not used to keep lists of what has been explored, also i'm not used to it as it doesn't exist in Windows Explorer
* Then I clicked on "Apply To..." and unticked all... except the Tabs option, so I can quit XYplorer with my 5 Tabs opened on C:\temp , D:\Internet Sources 2 , E:\ , F:\ , G:\Temp
* I saved the configuration, quit XYplorer, launched it... and only 1 Tab appeared, not 5 :(
* I thought "my bad", I should have ticked "Tabsets" too maybe (?), so now I had Tabs & Tabsets checked, saved config, opened the 5 tabs again, quit, launched XYplorer... and only 1 tab showed :(
* Only then I understood I had to tick "Include most-recently-used lists on Save ?'', it worked and I opened this thread.
Now you know why :)

pixelsearch

Post by pixelsearch »

Maybe the easiest way to satisfy everybody ?

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote:Yes, I know, but I wonder why this has to be like this. I might want to change a sub-setting for later use. Why should I be forced to enable the super-setting first?
Because it's more intuitive thus user-friendly to disable the sub-setting when the super-setting is unchecked. This allows the user to understand without any doubt that the sub-settings won't be taken into account when he unchecks the super-setting.

IMO this is a bigger advantage than the drawback you mention (which is still true).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, that was kind of convincing. I will disable those Apply To... buttons then.

Leito

Post by Leito »

Thanks! :tup:
After all, this is already the behavior you've chosen for sub-checkboxes. :biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

... for *some* sub-checkboxes. I will keep it a bit lax with settings that are not related to possible data loss.

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote:... for *some* sub-checkboxes.
Indeed. Why not all though? Why not be consistent?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For the reason I mentioned before: I don't want to inhibit the user more than necessary.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PS: The real cause of the problem lies in the indifference of Windows to two different states:
1) is ignored / not used
2) cannot be modified

Both are just "disabled" in Windows ever since.