Image Preview - Fit Large Only

Features wanted...
SkyFrontier

Image Preview - Fit Large Only

Post by SkyFrontier »

It may be already available under some config combo, anyway I'd like an easy way to fit large images when they exceed the preview pane to a zoomed down version - xnView has this and it's one of the most smart ways to view a handful lot of images, multi-resolution-wise.

A smarter variation would be some way to scale up smaller to x,y pixels, preserve anything beyond that res at their original resolution, fit large as described above. How to name this? 'Comfortable View', would be a proper name. Thanks in advance - much needed.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Re: Image Preview - Fit Large Only

Post by SkyFrontier »

I'd like an appreciation on this wish, as the lack of this makes multi-res screening a very painful experience...
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

jupe

Post by jupe »

SkyFrontier wrote:I'd like an easy way to fit large images when they exceed the preview pane to a zoomed down version
It may just be me misunderstanding, but the preview pane already zooms images down to fit for me, and this is how the help file describes the function:
XY Help File Page 354 wrote:Previews are horizontally and vertically centered in the pane. There is a 16 pixels padding on all
sides. No zoom or so, you always see the whole image optimally scaled to the available space.
SkyFrontier wrote:A smarter variation would be some way to scale up smaller to x,y pixels
And if you right click the image there is a "Zoom to Fit" option for smaller images, which seems to be what you are describing here.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Hi, jupe, thanks for the input...

Yes, images are scaled down when larger, but the smaller ones are my concern here.
SkyFrontier wrote:And if you right click the image there is a "Zoom to Fit" option for smaller images, which seems to be what you are describing here.
'Zoom to fit' and other configs are useful when used against 'static resolutions', see? Try to mix smaller, medium and bigger sized ones from na (net or local) image search and quick preview all of them in a row... I guess a minimum control over those multi-sized images, specially when it comes to the smaller ones, would be a nice addition to XY previewing capabilities. Left as it is, I must confess I am often avoiding XY for image picking - which is a painful pity.

Otherwise each image is needing a manual zooming which is quite a PITA... :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You want to zoom smaller images to fill all the available space? The quality goes down when scaling up...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:You want to zoom smaller images to fill all the available space? The quality goes down when scaling up...
No, no...
Bearing in mind that the purpose is to quickly traverse a good amount of images in search of something that's often quite similar to other shots, it would be really useful having the option to predefine a minimum zoom up as a decent view port (suggestion for a hardcoded solution: 1/3 of max zoom port) for such smaller images so they could be better spotted in such details while sacrificing a bit of quality, specially when a mix of thumbnails is forcibly present under such screening scenarios, branch viewed mainly.
Thanks for joining...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, I find this a bit too special (weird).

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Try the current setting for yourself, simulating the described situation. Soon you'll change your mind...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

One last argument, this time trying to illustrate it better:

View port: 1920x1020
Anything beyond that is scaled down to fit view port res (current behavior).

Minimum view port: 640x320 (1/3 of view port; could be user defined...)
Anything below that will be scaled up, preferrably keeping original proportions (sidekick suggested behavior).

Anything between view port and min view port will have preserved original resolutions.
Visual comfort and effective functionality in a single operation of multi-res, multi-location preview. What's not to like about it?