UDC key assignment

Features wanted...
graham

UDC key assignment

Post by graham »

With the new UDC is it possible to have on the UDC window a button to jump straight to the CKS window for User

zridling

Post by zridling »

A good idea, since this is the very next place I'm going; that is, to define a keyboard shortcut to most of the 6-10 UDCs I'll create.

admin
Site Admin

Re: UDC key assignment

Post by admin »

graham wrote:With the new UDC is it possible to have on the UDC window a button to jump straight to the CKS window for User
No, not the way I designed it. An architecture that allowed this kind of direct jumping between interfaces (similarly wished in other areas before, for example List Management) would have a price I don't want to pay: XY would be bigger and slower. So let's keep it simple.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Instead of a separate thread, I'll just ask a dumb question here: Why is the udc.dat file not saved when one says "OK" in the dialog? If you created a UDC and then XY was closed unexpectedly, the command would likely be lost...I'm still having "issues" with 'Save settings on exit' applying to items that are not within the Config area...yes, they are settings in a way, but since they are stored in other files, then in a way, they are not settings, if that makes any sense. :roll:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Instead of a separate thread, I'll just ask a dumb question here: Why is the udc.dat file not saved when one says "OK" in the dialog? If you created a UDC and then XY was closed unexpectedly, the command would likely be lost...I'm still having "issues" with 'Save settings on exit' applying to items that are not within the Config area...yes, they are settings in a way, but since they are stored in other files, then in a way, they are not settings, if that makes any sense. :roll:
Think of the advantage: if you made a mistake in UDC, you simply "Exit without Saving" and nothing is lost.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

At this point, being so used to settings applying right then and there and thus being saved in other app's, having XY defer the save is kinda non-standard, I hate to say...so might there be maybe a way that the save settings could be qualified further? Such as INI vs KS vs UDC? So one could live, (shall we say) dangerously with UDC but stay safer with INI and KS?

Just a thought...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:At this point, being so used to settings applying right then and there and thus being saved in other app's, having XY defer the save is kinda non-standard, I hate to say...so might there be maybe a way that the save settings could be qualified further? Such as INI vs KS vs UDC? So one could live, (shall we say) dangerously with UDC but stay safer with INI and KS?

Just a thought...
Yes. The whole File | Configuration File submenu lacks some logic. It's on my list...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Just to be clear: udc.dat does not behave any differently than any else. What jc describes here is true for everything else in XY (Config, Catalog, CKS, MRUs, ...) so while it may seem "odd" to some, it is logical.

BTW, because of this I think a "Save Config" button would be nice on the Toolbar, with File|Configuration File as its ctxt menu.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Just to be clear: udc.dat does not behave any differently than any else. What jc describes here is true for everything else in XY (Config, Catalog, CKS, MRUs, ...) so while it may seem "odd" to some, it is logical.

BTW, because of this I think a "Save Config" button would be nice on the Toolbar, with File|Configuration File as its ctxt menu.
I just improved that menu.

Good idea with TB button. But I'm running out of icon ideas... I'd also like a button for UDC, but again... no idea. :evil: I'd like to tribute it to Che Guevara (User-defined Comandante!), but in 16 pixels he does not look good. :)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Good idea with TB button. But I'm running out of icon ideas... I'd also like a button for UDC, but again... no idea. :evil: I'd like to tribute it to Che Guevara (User-defined Comandante!), but in 16 pixels he does not look good. :)
I don't know for the Che, but for the Save Config button, the usual floppy icon to mean save would be enough, maybe put a smaller version of the Config icon on it to show it related to the config, maybe...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:Good idea with TB button. But I'm running out of icon ideas... I'd also like a button for UDC, but again... no idea. :evil: I'd like to tribute it to Che Guevara (User-defined Comandante!), but in 16 pixels he does not look good. :)
I don't know for the Che, but for the Save Config button, the usual floppy icon to mean save would be enough, maybe put a smaller version of the Config icon on it to show it related to the config, maybe...
Yep, had the same idea and it's already done in the meantime. 8)