Multiline tabbar

Features wanted...
ChristianRR

Multiline tabbar

Post by ChristianRR »

Reviving the idea of a multiline tabbar.

Many of us have the problem of a lot of tabs in dual pane, including some named tabs, pushing the latest ones completely outside the window, making it impossible to right-click them. This especially bothersome when XYplorer is not fullscreen, as when drag-n-dropping within another application. When such an invisible tab is already selected, the Tabs dropdown doesn't bring other invisible tabs into view anymore.

I realize this is complicated, but I believe a multiline tabbar would simplify things. It is very convenient and shouldn't be too hard to implement (then again, what do I know?) Along with "tab min width" and "tab max width" parameters, it seems it could solve many problems and extra clicks and gestures, we could have all tabs show the whole path, etc.

Filehero

Re: Multiline tabbar

Post by Filehero »

Not exactly what is asked, but addressing the same issue -> viewtopic.php?p=155076#p155076
Last edited by Filehero on 13 Feb 2018 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Also not exactly what you asked for, but you could check out tabsets in the meantime if you haven't already, they might benefit you:

https://www.xyplorer.com/release_10.70.php#tabsets

you can paste individually the following items into the XY address bar for more information if you are interested:

Code: Select all

help "idh_scripting_comref.htm#idh_sc_tabset";
help "idh_tabsets.htm";

ChristianRR

Post by ChristianRR »

Filehero wrote:Not exactly what is asked, but addressing the same issue -> viewtopic.php?p=155076#p155076
Scrollable tabs would be a great alternative.

jupe

Post by jupe »

ChristianRR wrote:Along with "tab min width" and "tab max width" parameters
You probably already know about it, in which case just ignore me, but the max tab width setting is already available if it helps you in the meantime:

Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | Maximum tab width in pixels

adyy

Post by adyy »

Expect this function to be implemented.
like this :P

hari3

Post by hari3 »

I too want this feature,can you add this feature at least in 1 or 2 months as many people have many tabs.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

If you have to many tabs to fit on one line then you should probably look at tabsets and session manager script.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

Other ideas organized by different characteristics, see attached image

for example

color map to a partition or section of the hard disk

highlight the name with a different color

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Albeit having a whole set of themes-related scripts as a considerable part of what I did here, I must admit that I dislike the colorfulness of what CompSys suggests...

...except for the crude fact that it seems the most effective way one could have to quickly spot groups of tabs, which adds to productivity, which in turn makes me think twice specially if we are given the ability to fine tune those colors as it is the default when it comes to XY interface.

Specially useful if another long-time wish is brought to life: the possibility to quickly activate two predefined tabs (which can be more than a single set of those 'twins'), one on each panel, as often current-and-ooposite strictly relate.

Back to the OT, multiline tab-bar can be the final answer to the old dilemma that is needing to have a reasonably width-wise number of tabs (because ou their meaningful captions) and the never satisfactory overflow method that that implies.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

hari3

Post by hari3 »

RalphM wrote:If you have to many tabs to fit on one line then you should probably look at tabsets and session manager script.
With tabsets i can't get a multi line tabbar and i don't want this through scripting.

highend

Post by highend »

and i don't want this through scripting
Then there aren't any (more) relevant options atm...
I only use relevant tabs and switch them on the fly if I need a different set (own plain simple tab switch script)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Odylg

Post by Odylg »

What I'd love to see is something like the Doc Switcher in Notepad++. I like having lots of tabs open, but the more I have open the more difficult it is to read the name of a tab. Namely it's just easier to keep what I currently have open organized in my mind. Especially with duplicates, though I wish I had the option to avoid duplicates for tabs other than locked

highend

Post by highend »

Use a simple script as a tab switcher or the tiny arrow down button at the end of the tabbar (if it is visible):

Code: Select all

end compare(<xyver>, "18.80.0000", "v") == -1, "This script requires at least v18.80.0000, terminating now!";

$menu = "";
    $curTabIndex = tab("get");
    while ($i++ < gettoken(get("tabs", <crlf>), "count", <crlf>)) {
      $path = tab("get", "path", $i);
      if ($i == $curTabIndex) { $menu .= "$path||$path|1<crlf>"; }
      else { $menu .= "$path||$path|<crlf>"; }
    }
    $index = popupmenu($menu, 5:=1, 6:=<crlf>, 7:="|");
    if ($index) { seltab $index; }
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Odylg

Post by Odylg »

That is the type of list I'm looking for, I was looking for something dockable (like the catalog for example) instead of something that only shows at the press of a hotkey or click of a button. Is there any way to make the list always shown? I have no experience with XYS scripting (and a little with AutoHotkey) so I've no idea if it's currently possible.