Vertical lines in the grid

Features wanted...
BNyzjrCWDf

Vertical lines in the grid

Post by BNyzjrCWDf »

Hello.

Would you give option to display a vertical lines in the grid, please?

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Vertical lines in the grid

Post by admin »

Looks a bit bloaty to me. And outdated.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Funny timing. As I add more and more columns, I found myself clicking in the wrong one all the time. I would set a Label when I wanted a Tag, etc. I turned on the grid and the color has helped a little; however, on longer lists I find myself still clicking in the wrong column area and/or file (getting old is not very fun).

Here is an example, if I want to add a tag near the bottom, right now I hover the mouse where I think the "tag" column is, then scan my eyes up to confirm and then back down and then click. This picture is cropped. The actual length is ~3 times this.
2018-02-28_13-35-19.png
2018-02-28_13-35-19.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
To work around this for now, I added a catalog w/the tags and labels. Now I can select the file first and then move over to the catalog and apply a tag or label there. Working directly in the file list is slick and quick and I'd like to use it more. I am also taking some time today to go through all the tree and file visual settings to see what I can do w/what we already have. I did think vertical lines or boxes or something would be cool, came to the forum and found this post.

I do feel a little bloaty today and lately I do feel outdated :( .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:biggrin:

Hmm, indeed that's a good reason for a vertical grid...

jupe

Post by jupe »

VeeGee wrote:I am also taking some time today to go through all the tree and file visual settings to see what I can do w/what we already have.
Although not ideal, if you sort by the Tag column, and have this setting enabled:

Tools | Customize List | Highlight Sorted Column

it will sort of give you close to what you want, although the sort order probably won't be what you want, the color can be customized via, Configuration | Colors and Styles | Colors | List, if it is too dull for you as standard.
clip-01_03_2018.png
clip-01_03_2018.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
@Don: This is slightly off-topic, but in a custom column with a trigger of Click, is it possible to make the Play button either change color when clicked, or disappear instantly so that you are alerted to it being clicked? I find that if I have a script and it takes a while to produce a result (like on a slow NAS) I don't know if I have pressed the button or not, and because of the same reasons as the OP I am not 100% I have clicked in the right cell to trigger it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next version comes with optional vertical grid lines.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Just enabled the Vertical Lines - PERFECT ! Thank you very much for adding this. It looks clean and fits in perfectly, great addition ! It is very subtle, but highly noticeable when I working in the file list. BONUS - no accidental tags or labels yet :biggrin: !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote:@Don: This is slightly off-topic, but in a custom column with a trigger of Click, is it possible to make the Play button either change color when clicked, or disappear instantly so that you are alerted to it being clicked? I find that if I have a script and it takes a while to produce a result (like on a slow NAS) I don't know if I have pressed the button or not, and because of the same reasons as the OP I am not 100% I have clicked in the right cell to trigger it.
I tried something (next beta):

Code: Select all

* Custom Columns: Now columns with trigger "Click" give a subtle visual 
      feedback when being clicked: The white-on-green arrow button in the column 
      turns a little darker while the triggered job is processed. A 100 msecs 
      delay had to be added else the effect would be too fast to be visible.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Sounds good, look forward to trying it.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Just tried it, and like it, but a couple things I noticed, before I could click multiple cells and although I didn't know if I had clicked them or not, when they had done their thing the results would show, but now I can seem to only click 1 item at a time, clicking on more than 1 triggers the color change only, and aborts the 1st item calculations sometimes too and it is required to wait until the first one is finished before clicking another, if this has/is a hassle I am ok with it like this or returning to the same as before, I just thought I should let you know.

Also is it meant to look like this with the light green stripe at the top:
play_col.png
play_col.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean you clicked multiple cells one after another, while the first had not yet returned?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes.

I'm ok with it as it is though, I just hope everyone else is, I think currently it was more functional before. Here's an animation showing new version and old (I used cells that calc quickly just for example) you can see now if you have your timing off it doesn't produce a result, you just get the color change.
Attachments
XYnew.gif
XYnew.gif (52.31 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
XYold.gif
XYold.gif (28.89 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot reproduce your original behavior (before I added the visual feedback), even if I remove the new code. What does your script do? Can you post it here?

OK, I think I could fix it. It was not directly related to the new code. Check next beta.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Checked next beta, result = :D

Thanks for this.
Attachments
XY.0112.gif
XY.0112.gif (48.21 KiB) Viewed 1829 times