Different mousewheel scroll lines delta for each View (Details, List, Thumbs)

Features wanted...
medder

Different mousewheel scroll lines delta for each View (Details, List, Thumbs)

Post by medder »

Hello, does XYPlorer have any option or tweak where the user can choose how many lines are scrolled on one mouse wheel move?

It would be nice XYPlorer would scroll (for example):
3-5 lines in Details View
but only 1 line in Thumbnails view (like in ACDSee or other photo viewers).

I checked, when I change "the number of lines to scroll" option in my mouse driver configuration utility,
the number of lines, scrolled by XYPlorer and Windows Explorer, also changes.

I've checked further with SysInternals FileMon, and the only thing my mouse utility does,
it changes the Windows registry option: "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WheelScrollLines" to 1, 3, or 6 (as i choose).

Unfortunately XYplorer reads this value once, so the restart of XYplorer is needed every time,
when I need switch to Thumbnails View and scroll them more precisely, like in ACDSee.

With "WheelScrollLines = 3", with large Thumbnails and with "Find Files" panel opened
XYPlorer can skip through one line of thumbs, not showing the files. It's not very comfortable.

On other hand having "WheelScrollLines = 1" in Windows is not comfortable either
(in the XYPlorer's Details Mode and in all other applications).

It would be nice if XYplorer would allow users to setup mouse wheel behavior separately for each mode
(Details View, Thumbs View...).
The values can be: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 lines and "windows default" (from HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WheelScrollLines).

In "General > Mouse, Menus, Safety" or in the form of tweak in the configuration file.

Or at least one simple Tweak: "Scroll one line in Thumbnails View on mouse wheel".
(or "Single line mouse wheel scroll in Thumbnails View")

For example Firefox Browser has numerous mouse wheel settings (even for different modifier keys: Alt< Ctrl, Shift, Win)
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:Mouse_Wh ... 9_or_later

XYplorer doesn't need such detailed preferences as in Firefox, but using the same default Windows scroll settings
for two completely different views (Details and Thumbnails) isn't comfortable either.

medder

Re: Different mousewheel scroll lines delta for each View (Details, List, Thumbs)

Post by medder »

Thank you for adding the "Wheel scroll lines" option (WheelScrollLines). But the way it is implemented it serves no purpose.

There should be at least two different settings, not one.

When we use Details mode we need to scroll quicker (for example 3 lines).
Each text line takes small amount of vertical space.

But the settings should be different for Thumbnails mode.
In this mode each lines takes a large portion of the screen.
The 1 line per step is the most convenient way (as ACDSee taught us).

The "3 lines per step" setting is bad for Thrumbnails mode (with big thumbnails some lines can be skipped during scrolling).
While the "1 line per step" is bad for Details mode (the scrolling is too slow).

Please add at least one extra setting for user to be able to manage text/image modes differently.

In that case one value can be used in Details, List, Icons modes, (for example 3 lines per step)
And the other value can be better fitted for Thumbnails/Tiles modes (where each line takes more vertical space) (1 line per step)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Different mousewheel scroll lines delta for each View (Details, List, Thumbs)

Post by admin »

Wow, I was not aware I was fulfilling a wish from 27 Dec 2017 22:50! :ninja:

I like the idea of 1 line per notch in thumbnails and tiles views. :tup:
But I don't like the idea to add even more checkboxes or input fields to the configuration dialog.

So, can't we just do it the hard way? So, from now on the wheel does 1 line per notch in thumbnails and tiles views? Trust me, it feels totally natural right away.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote: 25 May 2019 10:57So, can't we just do it the hard way? So, from now on the wheel does 1 line per notch in thumbnails and tiles views? Trust me, it feels totally natural right away.
From my point of view this is the best solution. :appl:
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 25 May 2019 10:57 So, from now on the wheel does 1 line per notch in thumbnails and tiles views? Trust me, it feels totally natural right away.
It's not natural to me. I'm used to looking or scanning through all the pictures displayed on the page and scrolling to the next page, not having to scroll for each line / row of thumbnails. In my opinion it means a lot more unnecessary scrolling. I have my system set to 15 lines which is usually half page of text and with my XY scrolling set to "0", I still only get 1 line of thumbs at 240x240. The note beside the scroll factor in Config states to set to "0" to use system settings. Shouldn't I get the equivalent of a page since we can't scroll more than a page. I shouldn't have to set my system to "page" to force XY to scroll a page. Sorry but I think this change should have at least left the capability of scrolling a page allowed for all those using it for years...unless I missed a tweak.

Edit: Even setting my system setting to scroll a page at a time doesn't yield me a page when the XY scroll setting is set to "0". (i.e I still get a line). I think the fact that this original request was that old and no one else jumped on it in favor should tell you something. :)
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

At least I'd think it's relative easy to scroll a page (or more) if a notch is one line, but try to scroll 1 line (or a few) if a notch is one page.

So both have it's usage, but one is more universal, I think.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote: 25 May 2019 12:40 I think the fact that this original request was that old and no one else jumped on it in favor should tell you something. :)
I think the fact that I like it should tell you something. :biggrin: (sorry, CNR)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, found a way to enhance it without adding anything to the interface. klownboy, next version you enter this: 0;0

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

The fact the you like it now is of utmost importance, but you've had the program set such that you can scroll a page since day one. So I really appreciate it Don and I don't think this would be for me only. There has to be plenty of users out there that are accustomed to scrolling thumbnails a page at a time. Thanks.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

medder

Post by medder »

admin wrote: 25 May 2019 10:57So, from now on the wheel does 1 line per notch in thumbnails and tiles views? Trust me, it feels totally natural right away.
admin wrote: 25 May 2019 15:06 OK, found a way to enhance it without adding anything to the interface. klownboy, next version you enter this: 0;0
Wow, thank you, both variants work perfectly well for me. The second one is the best solution possible.
3;1 setting is pretty comfortable with large thumbs. 5;2 can be used to speed things up.

Maybe, there could be some info in the tool-tip (or a comment in INI), so that other users can enjoy this useful setting.
Something short like this: X:Y, where X stands for lines in Details and other text modes, Y for Thumbnails and other image modes. 0;0 for system default value.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the "X;Y" format is only optional, there is also the simple "X" format. So the tooltip would have to be even longer. I rather leave this to the Help file.