Post by admin »

What recently was done for Tags ...
Configuration | Information | Tags | Save changes to disk immediately
... should that maybe also (optionally) done for some other things, like:
- FVS
- Favorites
- Catalog
- UDC

I would then add a checkbox Configuration | Startup & Exit | Save changes to disk immediately, along with an Apply To button containing this list:
- FVS
- Favorites
- Catalog
- UDC
- Tags
... and remove that checkbox Configuration | Information | Tags | Save changes to disk immediately.

Hm?

klownboy

Re: Immediate Save To Disk

Post by klownboy »

So there would be a separate Apply buttons or check boxes for each item the list, not one for all the items? I ask because some people may want some items like UDC and Favorites but not FVS to save immediately. Just checking to be sure.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Exactly.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Great.
(the first thing came to my mind was: if you can add support to sc setting/settingp, even better.)

edit. AutoBackup might become rather useless. it should backup config based on time periods, something like all changes since last hour? 30 minutes? a day?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

+5

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:edit. AutoBackup might become rather useless. it should backup config based on time periods, something like all changes since last hour? 30 minutes? a day?
Yes, AutoSave is a different approach to the same topic. Yes, there are overlaps. That might be even confusing and generate support needs. Never liked it anyway. Maybe this would be the time to get rid of it?
backup config based on time periods
Hmm, still don't like it. Not a friend of auto...

prino

Post by prino »

admin wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:edit. AutoBackup might become rather useless. it should backup config based on time periods, something like all changes since last hour? 30 minutes? a day?
Yes, AutoSave is a different approach to the same topic. Yes, there are overlaps. That might be even confusing and generate support needs. Never liked it anyway. Maybe this would be the time to get rid of it?
backup config based on time periods
Hmm, still don't like it. Not a friend of auto...
Add, as a default, ISO8601 timestamp to the backup filename, but allow users to specify their own pattern, and, dreaming don't cost nothing :mrgreen: , automagically (and user-requested) delete a timed backup if only "user" settings (open tabs etc) have changed.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, this is not about backup, it's about saving (some of) the settings to the normal settings files. The filenames are fixed.

eil

Post by eil »

i like this feature very much! i had some situations in past for ex to lose many tags due to crash of Windows or sudden power off, so saving such important things right away, especially with list what to save - is Great!

and right after reading log, i thought about backups(as i see in topic, i'm not alone). Don, i know you always have things to do, but as you mentioned above that current backup is less useful, maybe it's time for little overhaul?

how about similar checkbox to make auto-backup, plus ability to state how many backups will be saved. algorithm example:
V "Save changes to disk immediately"
V "Make backup of old settings"
Number of backups [5]
say we have Tags and User-Defined Commands marked in "Apply to..". each time there are changes to these, algorithm copies current/not yet saved files with date+rime in name to backup folder, checks if number of such backups became more than 5 - deletes the oldest one if needed, and finally saves changes.
yep, that may involve a lot of backups creating+deleting, but i think those to ever lose important things will welcome such extra safety belt. maybe smb has more smooth idea?
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great you like it. :beer:

But your backup idea looks complicated. There should be something easier.

eil

Post by eil »

i fine with easier way, i just need numerous backups of important XY data to prevent all variants of loses. and i'd wish it to be smart, as everything in XY. :)
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Exactly. Let me say as the instigator of the backups discussion, I was just suggesting some possible adjustments in order to not render the autobackups practically useless.

(I personally don't for it at all, as now my <xydata> is a (badly) auto-updating git repo. :ugeek: )
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'll think about it.

For starters I would remove "Configuration | Startup & Exit | Autosave settings after this many minutes". In the past it had lead to many confusions and support work. Anybody unhappy?

highend

Post by highend »

Nope. Makes sense now that an immediate (and configurable) autosave exists
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Nope.

[Now, I already had this post typed for submitting]

Code: Select all

- The "Favorites" option includes Favorite Folders and Favorite Files.
        And since there is no separate disk file for Favorites but they are
        kept in XYplorer.ini, XYplorer.ini will be written on changing a
        favorite.
So changing favorites data automatically saves all other configs. This is a case for concern even for those who don't have automato-phobia.

Please consider updating the favorites section separately and adding another immediate save option for the rest of <xyini>.
[ this user is asleep ]