Hotkey for show/hide folder tree ???

Features wanted...
spinner

Hotkey for show/hide folder tree ???

Post by spinner »

I recently came across the F12 hotley to show/hide the "Info Panel" in TV3. I like it a lot because it improved visibility of the "List View" pane on the top-right of the screen.

Is there something like this to show/hide the "Tree View" on the top-left of the screen?

It would be WONDERFUL to be able to see more columns in the List View and a hotkey to show/hide the Tree View could be a good way of doing it.

Please say it is already in TV3 or that it will be included in the near future! :-)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hotkey for show/hide folder tree ???

Post by admin »

spinner wrote:I recently came across the F12 hotley to show/hide the "Info Panel" in TV3.
Congratulations! It's just seven years that I built it in :)
spinner wrote:Is there something like this to show/hide the "Tree View" on the top-left of the screen?
Ever tried the vertical splitter?

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

I support spinner's request too.
admin wrote:Ever tried the vertical splitter?
1) In this way you can not hide folders tree completely, but only minimize its width up to 2 cm or so;
2) spinner, as I can see from his posts, prefers keyboard to mouse, and me too;
3) if you have a shortcut, you win an option hide folders panel by one keyboard press and then to restore it immediately just with width you have pre-set.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Convinced! Actually, it looks really cute without the tree.
You'll find a new menu item (Ctrl+Shift+F12) in the next BETA. 8)

Manifold

Post by Manifold »

Good job, Admin.

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Thanks!

spinner

Post by spinner »

Nice job on the review there! Tnx :D

RalphM

Hotkey for show/hide folder tree

Post by RalphM »

Hi Donald

This works wonderful and I really like that hotkey, but wouldn't it be nice - especially with the new startup switch for the ini to use - to extend the view properties settings in config with a switch for this hotkey?

Thanks
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hotkey for show/hide folder tree

Post by admin »

You mean to remember "hidden tree" in the INI?

RalphM

Re: Hotkey for show/hide folder tree

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:You mean to remember "hidden tree" in the INI?
Yep!
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Donald,

Thank you again for this new option to hide folders tree. But it naturally brings new whishes, as one could guess. :-)

When folders tree is hidden it becomes to be obvious, that one thing is absent in files pane. I mean a link to the parent directory (folder).

Could you add this – and, if it is possible, not only standard "..", but to include the parent directory’s individual name, for example as this:
<..> [C:\Windows\Temp\AAA]

Alternative variant is to add editable address bar (as in Windows XP's Explorer) under (or above?) columns tabs for the same purposes.

Another wish. Now the result of hiding folders tree is hard-coded: the whole files panel entirely moves to the left to fill in additional space and we can see the last column(s), if they were behind the right margin of the window. But indeed some user may not wish to use this released space in order to view just the last columns, but would rather prefer to use this additional width to expand some other column, e.g. filenames column (usually this is the first column) or the paths column, etc. etc. Surely you can move columns splitters in any way by mouse, but is it possible to automate this process?

P.S.
Are you sure that Ctrl+Shift+F12 is the best choice for shortcut? Have you considered Ctrl+Shift+H?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:When folders tree is hidden it becomes to be obvious, that one thing is absent in files pane. I mean a link to the parent directory (folder).
Ha! You don't know the Windows standard key to move up to parent directory: BACK-key!
Leopoldus wrote:... include the parent directory’s individual name
Look at the window's title bar...
Leopoldus wrote:Another wish. ... Surely you can move columns splitters in any way by mouse, but is it possible to automate this process?
Sure it is possible. But it's not necessary :D
Leopoldus wrote:Are you sure that Ctrl+Shift+F12 is the best choice for shortcut?
Yes, F12 is the boss visibility key.

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:Ha! You don't know the Windows standard key to move up to parent directory: BACK-key!
Yes, I do!
But
1) it is for keyboard funs only, not for mouse, and
2) it does not solve visibility needs.
Current path showing in Tracker's window title solves more or less the visibility needs, but this path is not editable is it is in Windows Explorer, is it?
admin wrote:
Leopoldus wrote:Another wish. ... Surely you can move columns splitters in any way by mouse, but is it possible to automate this process?
Sure it is possible. But it's not necessary :D
This is essentially the same discussion we had recently concerning shortcut for hiding folders tree. If an user can do some thing manually, why he needs any options to do the same thing automatically? But indeed any task some software does for us we could do ourselves manually (an abacus insead of Calculator, typewriter instead of word processor, Windows Explorer instead of TrackerV...) But is this the correct approach?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:This is essentially the same discussion we had recently concerning shortcut for hiding folders tree. If an user can do some thing manually, why he needs any options to do the same thing automatically? But indeed any task some software does for us we could do ourselves manually (an abacus insead of Calculator, typewriter instead of word processor, Windows Explorer instead of TrackerV...) But is this the correct approach?
Yes, you're absolutely right -- from your point of view. If given enough time, I could write a self-starting Leopoldus.exe that does everything Leopoldus wants to do fully automatically while Leopoldus is out playing football.
What you always forget is that every feature has a price: it takes my time and my energy to implement it, it makes the software bigger and slower, it makes code maintenance harder, it has principally the potential to introduce unforeseen complications (bugs) to a working program, it makes the help file fatter and the feature list longer, which is scary for some users (believe or not: a main development goal for TrackerV3 is simplicity).

Actually I'm planning to take some features out of the program! And I would be interested to hear from you all what you think is totally superfluous and should be removed from the app.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:Current path showing in Tracker's window title solves more or less the visibility needs, but this path is not editable
Ctrl+G