dark theme

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: dark theme

Post by admin »

Gosh, I love that glowing-blue selection rect...
Attachments
XY-Dark-20181213-glow.png
XY-Dark-20181213-glow.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 2586 times

hari3

Post by hari3 »

Why don't you consider a blue theme,it will look even good

hari3

Post by hari3 »

Speed commander is also providing 3 to 4 variations of blue theme

Leito

Post by Leito »

Good job Don, thanks for this beta! :beer:
hari3 wrote: 14 Dec 2018 03:23 Why don't you consider a blue theme,it will look even good
hari3 wrote: 14 Dec 2018 05:33 Speed commander is also providing 3 to 4 variations of blue theme
Can you please create another post and keep this one on the subject of the dark theme?

Leito

Post by Leito »

First of all, thanks for the hard work on the dark mode Don! It is a very welcomed feature. :beer: :beer: :beer:
I can now remove my sunglasses when I'm coming to work. 8)

Code: Select all

v19.40.0160 - 2018-12-13 19:54
      - This was a lot of work with lots of changes in the code. I expect an 
        avalanche of glitch reports now. Let them come...
Ok, let me start the hostilities! :ninja:
  1. After changing the "☑ Enable dark mode" option and validating the configuration dialog, wouldn't it be more user-friendly to prompt the user to restart the application now?
  2. Tab bar background isn't dark when Tabs and Panes → Tabs → Visual Style = Windows Theme Style:
  3. I don't really like that white border around tabs:
    Could be my opinion only, but I think it distracts from the dark theme and has an unfinished look to it.
  4. There's a grayish 1px background around each button:
    According to this, it seems fixable.
  5. Code: Select all

- Some elements could not be darkened:
            - Scrollbars in small lists. The main Tree and List scrollbars 
              backcolor, however, could be darkened.
    No hope for the scrollbar grip and up/down buttons?
    No hope for horizontal scrollbars?
  6. Code: Select all

- Some elements could not be darkened:
            - Menus      
            - Buttons
    That's sad :( , and even sader than Windows 10 does it now (context menus are dark if your OS theme is dark). Is this definitive or can we hope for dark menus and buttons?
  7. Collapsed comboboxes: can they be dark?
  8. On the inactive pane, the columns forecolor of selected items is black. This isn't really readable and they should stay white IMO.
  9. I never noticed this as I'm using the "Windows Theme Style", but the following is also true with the "XYplorer Classic Style" on the light theme: when all items are unselected, the previously selected item has a blue border. This blue border respects Tools → Customize List → ☑ Full Row Select with "Windows Theme Style", but not with "XYplorer Classic Style". Can this be fixed?
  10. Code: Select all

- Due to certain Windows shortcomings or lack of documentation I was 
            forced to use a workaround to control the text color of checkboxes and 
            option buttons. The looks are perfect but the functionality lacks a bit:
            - You cannot click the caption to alter the state of the checkbox/option 
              but must click the checkbox/option itself.
            - No accelerators.
    So how did you do? Draw a label besides a checkbox with an empty text? If so:
    • Can't you implement the label_Click event to modify the checkbox?
    • Can't you set an accelerator on the label (like it's done on labels associated to comboboxes for instance).
    (no criticism here, I'm just trying to find ideas :kidding: )
  11. Code: Select all

- In Dark Mode the setting of "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Lines, 
            Planes, Dark Mode | Selections" is ignored. Internally it's set to 
            "XYplorer Classic Style" as Windows Themes have to overwritten Dark Mode 
            as far as possible.
          - Same story with "Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | Visual style".
    Can this be mentioned on the Configuration window in order to prevent confusion?
  12. Code: Select all

- It's a smart Dark Mode. You don't have to configure anything (and you 
            can't). Your current color configuration is automatically converted into 
            its dark sister.
    I'm not such a fan of that. I would prefer being able to choose a light and dark variant for each color (text and background) (Breadcrumb Bar, Color Filters, Labels...).
    • For instance, look at this screenshot:
      For me, the "archives" folder name on the dark theme is not readable. We could argue for several days that: colors could be darkened more, but then some would be too dark; text could be automatically written black instead of white on some light backgrounds, but that wouldn't work for every 16 777 216 possible colors. And, more importantly, everyone will have their preferences and we will never find a good-enough solution for most of the users.
    • Background colors should be darkened, yes, but text color should be lightened.
    That's why I think it would be better if we could choose a different color (text and background) for the light theme and the dark theme.
  13. Items with a Color Filter set to Text = some color, Back = White are displayed with a gray background, whereas the goal of such a Color Filter is to display the item without any background:
    That's another point in favor of 12., because it wouldn't happen if we could choose separately the colors for the light theme and the dark theme.
  14. Columns for items with a Color Filter aren't colored:
That's all for now. :mrgreen:
Don, that may be a lot, but don't take me wrong, I appreciate the move toward a fully supported dark theme. Thanks again! :biggrin:

PS: Don, if you prefer one post per issue, instead of discussing all issues in this post, let me know and I'll edit.
Last edited by Leito on 14 Dec 2018 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

datacenter

Post by datacenter »

I have tested the Beta and it seems fine, just one ugly white I have found ... the scroll bars :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Leito Well... :mrgreen:

1. After changing the "☑ Enable dark mode" option and validating the configuration dialog, wouldn't it be more user-friendly to prompt the user to restart the application now?

Yes

2. Tab bar background isn't dark when Tabs and Panes → Tabs → Visual Style = Windows Theme Style:

Cannot reproduce. :?

3. I don't really like that white border around tabs

Cannot reproduce (unless Tabs → Visual Style = XYplorer Classic Style, in which case it's desired I guess).

4. There's a grayish 1px background around each button:

Part of the Windows theme. Cannot chamge that.

5. No hope for the scrollbar grip and up/down buttons?

No hope AFAIK. Only when MS starts documenting again...

No hope for horizontal scrollbars?
Well, I will try to remove them next version...

6. That's sad :( , and even sader than Windows 10 does it now (context menus are dark if your OS theme is dark). Is this definitive or can we hope for dark menus and buttons?

7. Collapsed comboboxes: can they be dark?

8. On the inactive pane, the columns forecolor of selected items is black. This isn't really readable and they should stay white IMO.

Ah, that's a bug with Full Row Select. Fix comes...

9. I never noticed this as I'm using the "Windows Theme Style", but the following is also true with the "XYplorer Classic Style" on the light theme: when all items are unselected, the previously selected item has a blue border. This blue border respects Tools → Customize List → ☑ Full Row Select with "Windows Theme Style", but not with "XYplorer Classic Style". Can this be fixed?

Yes, fix comes.

10. So how did you do? Draw a label besides a checkbox with an empty text? If so:
Can't you implement the label_Click event to modify the checkbox?
Can't you set an accelerator on the label (like it's done on labels associated to comboboxes for instance).

No, this is the best I can do. And I tried hard.

11. Can this be mentioned on the Configuration window in order to prevent confusion?

Well, I think it's kind of expected. If you go dark, you say bye-bye to the Windows theme.

12. I'm not such a fan of that. I would prefer being able to choose a light and dark variant for each color (text and background) (Breadcrumb Bar, Color Filters, Labels...).
For instance, look at this screenshot:

Cannot reproduce.
Could you post a screenshot of your settings on "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Lines, Planes, Dark Mode" ?

13. Items with a Color Filter set to Text = some color, Back = White are displayed with a gray background, whereas the goal of such a Color Filter is to display the item without any background:

That's deliberate otherwise your text colors would not be reable on a dark background.

See 13.

calude

Post by calude »

admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:18

That's deliberate otherwise your text colors would not be readable on a dark background.

See 13.
this grey square is ugly and kills the use of color filters
If one wants to use color filter in dark mode he will accept to have to change some of his color choices, same adjustment must be made for the catalog anyway if you use colors on your captions
its the price of wanting to switch to a Dark Mode

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I think you are right. I will remove the grey square...

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:18 3. I don't really like that white border around tabs

Cannot reproduce (unless Tabs → Visual Style = XYplorer Classic Style, in which case it's desired I guess).
The white border is visible with both styles (Windows Theme and XYplorer Classic). See picture in 1.
admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:18 4. There's a grayish 1px background around each button:

Part of the Windows theme. Cannot chamge that.
Have you seen my link? Some seems to have succeeded in going around that.
admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:18 12. I'm not such a fan of that. I would prefer being able to choose a light and dark variant for each color (text and background) (Breadcrumb Bar, Color Filters, Labels...).
For instance, look at this screenshot:

Cannot reproduce.
Could you post a screenshot of your settings on "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Lines, Planes, Dark Mode" ?
admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:18 13. Items with a Color Filter set to Text = some color, Back = White are displayed with a gray background, whereas the goal of such a Color Filter is to display the item without any background:

That's deliberate otherwise your text colors would not be reable on a dark background.
Unless we could customize the text color for the light and dark theme separately...
calude wrote: 14 Dec 2018 12:59 this grey square is ugly and kills the use of color filters
+1

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried that trick against the grayish 1px background around each button: does not work here. :eh: Needs further research later...
The white border is visible with both styles (Windows Theme and XYplorer Classic). See picture in 1.
Are you on Win10?

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 16:38 Are you on Win10?
Yes: Win10 1809 build 17763.194

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let's see how the next beta works...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fixed that 1 pixel grey margin around buttons bug! :beer: One minute after releasing v19.40.0165... :whistle:

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 16:58 Let's see how the next beta works...
Here we go:

2. :bug: Still present. And now, I have the white background behind tabs with both styles: Windows Theme and XYplorer Classic.
3. :bug: Still present.
5. :tup: Horizontal scrollbars are gone (if not necessary) on the Rename Preview window. Thanks!
    Can you get rid of the horizontal scrollbar on the preview pane as well?
8. :tup: Fixed.
9. :tup: Fixed.
12. :tup: Font is now black on a light background, so that's definitely better. But I still would like to customize my label colors for light and dark modes separately. :biggrin:
13. :tup: Fixed. But I still would like to customize my color filters for light and dark modes separately. :biggrin:
14. :tup: Fixed.
admin wrote: 14 Dec 2018 17:18 Fixed that 1 pixel grey margin around buttons bug! :beer: One minute after releasing v19.40.0165... :whistle:
:mrgreen: