wish: autoscroll like in firefox

Features wanted...
autocart

wish: autoscroll like in firefox

Post by autocart »

for any place where it is applicable, but esp. lists with vertical scroll bars.

Just to be clear: I am wishing for an autoscroll feature outside of drag and drop. Just like in firefox, e.g., with holding the middle mouse button and then moving the mouse up or down. Thx for reading.

jaywalker32

Re: wish: autoscroll like in firefox

Post by jaywalker32 »

+1 :tup:

This is something that I also have wished for the longest time. It would make scrolling large lists so much easier.
Everything Search has a good implementation of that feature for the list of search results.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't understand. :|

jupe

Post by jupe »

I think they are referring to when you click the middle mouse scroll button and it comes up with a round circle and then moving the mouse cursor up and down in that state scrolls without having to use the wheel.
scroll.png
scroll.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 1695 times

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

Yes, that's the one. However, the beauty of it is that you don't have to do the click-release-move, then click again when you find what you're looking for; you can just mousedown-move (drag) and release when you find what you're looking for.

The way it's implemented in browsers and the way it's implemented in EverythingSearch is a bit different. I think the method used in Everything fits much better for auto-scrolling possibly large lists of files.

I think effectively, when you middle click and drag in the list, it simulates you actually grabbing scrollbar and dragging. Sort of a 'scrollbar-anywhere' type of thing. So, you don't have to locate and focus on the scrollbar to scroll. You can... scrollbar anywhere, while keeping your focus on the list of files. Helps lot with workflow.

lol, I don't know if I'm making sense. Maybe OP can elaborate.

autocart

Post by autocart »

I think, everything has been said.
If there are still open questions, best would be to download and install Firefox (which is free) and try it out.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Isn't that the standard function of the middle mouse button? Works in many apps here, not only in firefox. Anyway, XY does not support that.

highend

Post by highend »

Works in many apps here, not only in firefox
Iirc e.g. the Logitech mice driver software provides such a feature
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have MS intelli mouse (or so) and it works in many apps. I know this feature for a long time, already had it in XP.

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

Don't think it's the standard function in windows app tho. Just in browsers. I suppose there are specific mouse drivers that have this feature, like you guys mentioned. But don't think most do.

You can however get a half-decent version of this functionality with a third party app called 'X-Mouse-Control' with the 'Change Movement to Scroll' option for a particular button.

But I guess the wish was for XY native support.