microsoft photo viewer

Features wanted...
patstyles

microsoft photo viewer

Post by patstyles »

When I am using File Explorer and choose to open a photo or image, it opens the built in photo viewer/editor. And I can move forward and backwards among the photos in that directory by simply pressing the left and right cursor buttons.

When I do the same thing in XYplorer, the cursor keys do not work the same way (at all) within the photo viewer. I can only presume that File Explorer starts the viewer in some way that is different from how your application starts the viewer.

It would nice to be have this same convenience in XYplorer.

.p

highend

Re: microsoft photo viewer

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

patstyles

Post by patstyles »

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how the other thread applies. That thread seems to be about making the Windows Photo Viewer to be the default file association.

In my case, the WPV is the default file association. It's just that the arrow keys do not work when opened from XYplorer but they do work when opened from File Explorer.

thanks,
.p

highend

Post by highend »

That thread seems to be about making the Windows Photo Viewer to be the default file association
No, it's about making it a portable file association (PFA) in XYplorer. It would look like this (in a fresh;
instance of XY):
pfa.png
pfa.png (20.85 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

Code: Select all

"Windows Photo Viewer" {:Image}>::run """%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe"" ""%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll"", ImageView_Fullscreen <curitem>";

afrihagen

Post by afrihagen »

I want to do the same thing as the original poster: to walk back and forth in the photo viewer, picture by picture, that is in the same directory.

I do not understand how the portable file association has anything to do with this, but i follow the advice from the expert.. :-)

So; I copy the text in the box, open "Scripting", selects "Run script",
I get the result:
error ´ ´ is not a valid script command

Am I wrong somehow?
Is the script wrong?

af

highend

Post by highend »

Menu - Tools - Customize File Associations

There is even an image in my last posting where you can see how it will look like

acicovic

Post by acicovic »

This is definitely not the photo viewer used by Windows 10 but it works for left-right keys, where the default Windows 10 photo viewer does not seem to work unfortunately. It's strange though... any idea why would it work for Windows Explorer and not XYplorer ?

highend

Post by highend »

No clue, sorry. Getting information about what MS changed internally in 10 (and from version to version)
is... sometimes impossible :mrgreen:

trongvnau

Post by trongvnau »

It works for me, thanks.
I am using XYplorer 19.40 Pro on Windows 10

Wublide

Post by Wublide »

acicovic wrote: 31 Oct 2017 20:23 This is definitely not the photo viewer used by Windows 10 but it works for left-right keys, where the default Windows 10 photo viewer does not seem to work unfortunately. It's strange though... any idea why would it work for Windows Explorer and not XYplorer ?
yeah, the current default viewer on windows 10 is Photos app
@highend it's possible to adapt your script to that?

edit: the photos app dir is:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2019.19031.17720.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\