Batch change MetaData with substitution values

Features wanted...
RVicker

Batch change MetaData with substitution values

Post by RVicker »

Currently I have a standalone utility that hasn't been update for years that does most of this but it would be so much simpler within XYplorer.

I would like to be able to highlight a bunch of *.JPG files and then update the MetaData in all of them with the same information. Such as setting author = "Me" and copyright = "Mine © 2017" in all of them. The extra part I would really like to do is be able to use a substitution in a MetaData item with characters from the file name. Example: set description = "World fair item #%item%" where %item% is derived from the file name positions 5-8.

A Batch Update MetaData form might look like these.

Data

Code: Select all

Variable:  Value:
%item%     %Subst(%filename%,5,8)
MetaData

Code: Select all

Item:        Value:
Author       Me
Copyright    Mine © 2017
Description  World Fair Item #%item%

highend

Re: Batch change MetaData with substitution values

Post by highend »

And the general user interface for such a thing would look like (regarding that there are
different metadata types (Exif, IPTC, XMP, to name only a few) with a multitude of settings and even user
composed ones)?

XY scripting is the only way to do such a specialized task (apart from the fact that XY
can't write the metadata itself but requires an external tool like exiftool or exiv2 to
do that in batch)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

RVicker

Post by RVicker »

The tool I am currently using has a table of item/value pairs that is tabbed by Exif, IPTC, XMP, and custom. The one thing it is really missing is the substitution value ability to pull in parts of the file name and place it as part of the MetaData new value. It hasn't been supported for years, so there is no hope of it being updated to add this feature.

The GUI is what I was trying to portray with the two code sections in the OP. The first was a way to "create" substitution values and the second was where you could plug in the new values for MetaData items.

Scripting is the only way, only if the author wants it to be. XYplorer could itself be the front end to the external tools or included libraries. Both exiftool and exiv2 provide include libraries and command line interfaces for free.

highend

Post by highend »

Everything that XY supports (apart from iFilters) is inbuilt. It doesn't depend on
external libraries. Trying to be "a new frontend" for external command line tools
is not the focus of this app...

Don't get me wrong but you shouldn't count on this wish to be implemented.
XY can do what you want but not by providing a new interface for external
command line tools...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal