Labels and Tags stored in extended attributes

Features wanted...
mbuchichio

Labels and Tags stored in extended attributes

Post by mbuchichio »

Hi everyone, first post here.
Loving XYplorer, by far one of the best File Managers for Windows.
How much can Microsoft cripple the native Explorer so much is beyond me.

One thing that I just learned is that XYplorer stores Labels and Tags in a centralized database.
Wouldn't it be possible to store those as extended attributes in each file or folder?
I'm thinking about portability, and the fact that if a file is moved outside XYplorer (Windows Explorer) the link between the file and the database is lost.

Regardless of this, having labels and tags is a long sought after feature for me.

Thanks a lot.

pleiades

Re: Labels and Tags stored in extended attributes

Post by pleiades »

Hi mbuchichio, are you talking about sidecar files? If it is then I'm + 1 with the wish.

I found this tagspaces that uses sidecar files
https://www.tagspaces.org/products/pro/ ... ecarSaving

mbuchichio

Post by mbuchichio »

Well, no, it is not what I was thinking about because it also relies on XYplorer to move files around to keep the files toguether.
If you move a file with metadata added with sidecar files outside of XYplorer you are in the same situation in wich the sidecar files will be left behind if move for example with Windows Explorer.
I think is much more robust solution to use extended attributes when possible in supported file systems.

In filesystems that do not support extended attributes I think the user should have the option to use sidecar files instead of a centralized database for portability.

Cheers!

pleiades

Post by pleiades »

Okay, I check it out and its saves metadata directly to the file, will these metadata change the hash value of the file?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Maybe this could be of interest? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8587
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]