Where is all the good stuff?

Features wanted...
zer0

Where is all the good stuff?

Post by zer0 »

I am keen to know when we are going to get the good stuff like folder sync and custom event actions.

I have clicked back through releases and the last version that had a feature added that I actually use is 16.7 with pizza button for folder sizes.

Now I know that not everyone will like and use every feature that is released, but it does seem like sync and CEAs have been on that roadmap for years and years.

Sorry that this is a bit of a moan but it does get a bit frustrating when you keep reading release notes of one version after another and ask yourself "who actually needs this stuff?".

What are the reasons for prioritising the look of the list over sync and CEAs?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Re: Where is all the good stuff?

Post by admin »

Hmm, you must be kidding. When I look at https://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php I see lots of glorious stuff in the last 12 months that's become life-changing for me (and a few others I hope).

Sync... how boring is that?! ;) (No worries, it will come.)

Borut

Post by Borut »

I don't think zer0 is kidding at all.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure. I was kidding.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I was not kidding.

I am not the kind of person who looks at a new thing that is introduced/improved and thinks to oneself "how can I adapt X to improve what I do?". This approach leads one to create imaginary problems for oneself and then try to shoehorn solutions.

Like I said, I am happy for those who found features released in the past 1.5 years useful. But my file management needs changed little over the years, so I look for tools to solve the challenges I already have.

Sync may be boring, but automating something that I currently have to do manually -- even if via a script -- would always be welcome.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

highend

Post by highend »

even if via a script
Write one, quicksearch() can already deliver the most relevant sync-related metadata (size|all three dates|attributes)
in no time?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

There's even syncselect() with all these options : SelectMatches, SelectUniques, SelectNewer, SelectDifferent, SelectUniquesAndNewer, SelectUniquesAndDifferent, SelectSelected

highend

Post by highend »

syncselect()
The question is, if it's really faster (I doubt that)
- You need to switch both panes into branch view mode if you want to sync folder trees correctly
This alone can take a while, especially on hard drives (obviously depending on the number of files / folders as well)
- Filters can get into the way as well (visual, ghost, etc.)

The main part of filtering can be done by formatlist() and regexmatches() / regexreplace() (to make it as fast as possible)

This kind of syncing has one drawback, trying to use time differences (older / newer than) would require loops...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I already have scripts for a bunch of stuff. But scripts shouldn't be used as a substitute for a properly designed and implemented product feature.
Windows 7/10

highend

Post by highend »

But scripts shouldn't be used as a substitute for a properly designed and implemented product feature.
Absolutely! Better use them for fun stuff, like "Lore ipsum" generators... :beer:

Thanks Don for adding the metadata option to v17.60.0006! :appl:

dietmarvar

Post by dietmarvar »

What are the reasons for prioritising the look of the list over sync and CEAs?
I guess priorities are different for everybody. For me all the options for customizing lists and other parts of the user interface are extremely useful because it allows me to make it look exactly like I want it to look. I couldn't even dream that this flexibility would ever be implemented for Microsoft Explorer. On the other hand I don't need folder sync and I don't even know what CEA is.

Sebbel

Post by Sebbel »

admin wrote: Sync... how boring is that?! ;) (No worries, it will come.)
Which year? :roll:
Switched back to Total Commander because of that missing feature. :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sebbel wrote:
admin wrote: Sync... how boring is that?! ;) (No worries, it will come.)
Which year? :roll:
Switched back to Total Commander because of that missing feature. :cry:
Please check out this post:
viewtopic.php?p=151987#p151987

Which method of sync do you need? (Please reply in that other thread.)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Is the Custom Event Actions part, dead?
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

For the Syncing crowd, have you tried SyncBackPro (https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html) (or even their freeware version) ? I have been using this software for years on every machine I own. Very inexpensive and super flexible/customizable. I currently have quite a few profiles for various backups and mirrors that go either to a different drive on the machine, my NAS or my Amazon Glacier account. Some profiles are setup to have revision control, some are full backups and most are fast backups.

In all my years of using it, I've only ever run into one issue (recently). On one profile, I have it set to run when a program exits. When Vivaldi x64 runs, it spawns a tons of processes (like other Chromium browsers) and SyncBack doesn't yet have the ability to either recognize the "parent" process or wait until all processes are closed before triggering the profile. Really not a deal breaker, I just schedule it to run differently.

Syncing built into XY may be nice; however, no matter what options are there, I'd be hard pressed to move away from SyncBack (just as I could never move away from XY now).

Oh, and for the good stuff. This last year has been tremendous for features that I personally find useful. A few have solved some of my file management problems, but more of them have greatly increased my productivity and have allowed me to disable at least 4 other apps that I was using to perform tasks that I can now do in XY.