TouchScreenMode

Features wanted...
syntanjey

Re: TouchScreenMode

Post by syntanjey »

Dear author. Currently i do not use your excellent program for one reason
it is difficult to remember the meaning of the icons
So here i want to ask you to add in the customize toolbars a feature to show text under icons
This can also helps to touch the buttons in touch mode

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello and welcome!

Well, there is not much space for text. Because of the needed space it would reduce the number of buttons you can see at the same time (without scrolling).

Tip: Do you know that you get a tooltip when hovering any button with the mouse? The tooltip tells you how the button is named.

Don

syntanjey

Post by syntanjey »

Dear author.

Yes, the buttons with a text under consumate more space. But you'll have to choose which button you would like to display or not, like in situation when you enable big buttons for the finger operation.

Also you have the scrolling toolbars, so there is nothin to worry about space!

Tooltip do not makes any sense. You dont like to dig to the tooltips, you want to see all the tools what is available via buttons at one sight, to decide, what you can do with the current object/state

Another point to make a text under the buttons is what in this case you don't need to add another icon sizes or vector icons to make buttons siutable for finger operation.

Please believe me, absence of text names under the icons is really a lack in the user interface of the program.

You can find a post earlier by dietmarvar » 03 Sep 2017 22:14 where the user even paints his own icons with the letters, because he can't remember a function for the each button.

This is a common situation, the need of text names for the buttons can be illustrated by modern tendencies in the user interface construction, when the toolbar being replaced by the ribbons which have the names. This is because human can't remember the meaning of each button, and this sutuation making a buttons useless.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I know the ribbon, and I know toolbars with captions, and frankly I'm not a fan of either. For me icons work much better than text, they are clearer, bolder, faster to find and process to the eye, and I have no problem to remember their meaning. The world today is full of icons, emojis, logos -- and they all work without caption. Well, whatever, I have no immediate plans to add captions to the XYplorer toolbar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, actually I changed my mind about it. I had forgotten the noobs. I see that it can take a while to learn the xyconography. So, yep, I will add it. Already coding...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Done. Next version has a Toolbar with optional button captions. 8)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Though I'll hardly ever use them, the implementation of Captions looks really nice. :tup: