REQ : Catalog Updates

Features wanted...
VeeGee

REQ : Catalog Updates

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I started playing around w/Catalogs this morning. Mixed results so far, mainly trying to find a reason to use them for my setup. One thing I noticed when using the 'Favorite Folders' and 'Favorite Files' catalogs is that they do not auto-update/refresh when new 'favorites' are added. I may have mentioned this in another thread.

If I use the menus to add new favorite folders or files, the 'star' toolbars buttons update, but the catalog doesn't. This doesn't seem right to me. If I add a favorite something, it should refresh or update wherever that data is used.

For a request, is it possible to have it update the catalogs when new favorites are added via menu commands, etc. ? Seems like something that would be easy to implement.

Without this updating feature, using these 2 types of catalogs seems pointless to me (unless I am completely missing something).

VeeGee

Re: REQ : Catalog Updates

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I am still struggling to see the point of the Favorite Folders/Files Catalogs. It doesn't appear that there is any connection between the Catalog and Favorite Folder/File icons on the toolbar. In a pane, I can easily toggle a favorite item and it immediately appears on my toolbar (in the dropdown); however, the Catalog doesn't update. Also, updating the Catalog doesn't update the icons on the toolbar. IMO, if something in the app is marked, added, flagged, etc. as a favorite (folder or file), it should appear everywhere where the term Favorite Folder/File is referenced/used.

For now, I've removed the Catalogs and am using the toolbar icons and the custom hamburger (thanks again for this :tup: !).

Am I better off not using the Catalog and sticking to the button ? or am I just flat missing something ?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Bump.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Importing favorites to the catalog creates a static version of your favs there. For highly dynamic favorites this is probably not the best approach, the probably only advantage being that you can manually sort them in any order.
While I got the buttons on my toolbar, I really use the right mouse click on white space in tree the most to access my favorite folders, unless you tweaked this to do something different.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for your reply. I haven't fully given up on catalogs yet, I do have the label and tag ones enabled. What I found I can do, is build my list of favorite folders and files and then remove/re-add those catalogs back. Doing so, "refreshes" the list. I just have to remember to do that if I update a favorite.

I'll look through other posts with catalog examples and see if I can find any that are useful for me/my setup.