Please add "Cycle tabs in recently-used order"

Features wanted...
sanguinelemon

Please add "Cycle tabs in recently-used order"

Post by sanguinelemon »

I've been battling to work out how to make XYplorer tabs cycle in "recently-used" order, like ALT-TAB does in Windows, and CTRL-TAB does in many other apps. That is, pressing CTRL-TAB once takes you to the previously-viewed tab, and pressing CTRL-TAB multiple times (ie. holding down CTRL and pressing TAB more than once) cycles through the tabs in the order in which they were last viewed.

There is an option under "Tabs" called "Cycle tabs in recently used order", but ticking this option does not seem to affect CTRL-TAB behaviour. Is that a bug?

The above option doesn't seem to affect CTRL-TAB behaviour.

Then I spotted the CTRL-TAB keyboard shortcut, which is set to "Cycle Tabs Forward". However there is no keyboard shortcut for "Cycle Tabs in Recently Used Order. There IS, however a "Open Previous Tab" shortcut - this seems like a silly option, since just implementing "recently-viewed" order would make that option redundant. Recently-viewed is how many other professional apps work.

So please implement "recently-used" order - either as a Settings option, or (probably better) replace the silly "previous tab" keyboard shortcut with a "recently used order" shortcut. After all, with recently-used-order, pressing CTRL-TAB once does exactly that - it shows the previously viewed tab.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Please add "Cycle tabs in recently-used order"

Post by admin »

sanguinelemon wrote:There is an option under "Tabs" called "Cycle tabs in recently used order", but ticking this option does not seem to affect CTRL-TAB behaviour. Is that a bug?
Are you sure? It works fine here. :?

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

Hi, I'm just trying the program out, but having the same issue. Version 20.90.0700

Table and Panes -> Tabs -> "Cycle tabs in recently used order" is ticked. However, Ctrl-Tab always cycles tabs left-to-right.

This is a new installation, so I can't think of any other info to provide to replicate the issue.

Any advice to get it to cycle in RUO?

Edit: Here's an example of Ctrl-Tab "left-to-right" in action, regardless of which tabs were last viewed:

Cheers!

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

FYI I've made a script which implements an MRU tabbing scheme, with the help of AutoHotkey.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21970

It's not perfect, but I'll update it with improvements when I have time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fizzybiz wrote: 18 Jul 2020 10:10 Hi, I'm just trying the program out, but having the same issue. Version 20.90.0700
Are you expecting that it does 3-2-3-2-3-2-1 or so? Well, that is not the way it is implemented. Each tab can only have one certain position in the memorized order.

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

admin wrote: 21 Jul 2020 13:10 Are you expecting that it does 3-2-3-2-3-2-1 or so? Well, that is not the way it is implemented. Each tab can only have one certain position in the memorized order.
No, if you see the gif above, it just didn't seem to "remember" the last viewed tab. In the gif, I'm clicking a couple of tabs with the mouse in an order, say 1-3-1. So now I'm on tab 1. Pressing Ctrl-Tab once "should" take me back to tab 3, but it goes to tab 2 instead, then 3.

Another example: There are 2 tabs open, and tab 2 is active. I click Ctrl-T to create a third tab, and now tab 3 is active. When I press Ctrl-Tab it "should" go back to tab 2 (the last viewed tab) but instead cycles around to tab 1.

Basically it was working like "Cycle tabs in recently used order" was turned off, but it was definitely ticked.

So I got the urge to fiddle and tried making a script for it. Not perfect, but helps. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, I think what you want is the function "Cycle Tabs Backward" (Ctrl+Shift+Tab). If you prefer it that way you can assign Ctrl+Tab to this function via Tools | Customize Keyboard Shortcuts... (Shift+F9).

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

admin wrote: 22 Jul 2020 13:11 Ah, I think what you want is the function "Cycle Tabs Backward" (Ctrl+Shift+Tab). If you prefer it that way you can assign Ctrl+Tab to this function via Tools | Customize Keyboard Shortcuts... (Shift+F9).
Ok tried that, but as expected it did not perform as I expected. :) I don't know, the way XYplorer decides which tab to show next is a mystery to me. :) It sometimes seems to work, sometimes not.

Example 1: 4 tabs open. Mouse click on tab 4 (rightmost tab). Mouse click on tab 2 (second from left). Hit Ctrl-Tab and, for some reason, it takes me to tab 1. Expected result is tab 4 - the previously-viewed tab.

Example 2: Following on from above, 4 tabs open, tab 1 is active. Mouse click tab 2. Hit Ctrl-Tab and bingo, it goes back to tab 1 (last viewed tab), that works. Then mouse click tab 3. Hit Ctrl-Tab and it goes back to tab 1 (last viewed tab), works again. Now mouse click Tab 2, then mouse click tab 4. Hit Ctrl-Tab and it goes back to tab 1 - wrong! It should have gone back to tab 2 which was the last viewed tab.

See what I mean? :) It seems to sometimes not add the current tab to the "queue" of last-viewed tabs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It works all fine here. Have you read my previous post?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

UPDATE: Okay, I see a possible issue now: When you move between tabs via the "Cycle Tabs Backward" command then the tab MRU is *not* updated, else you would just jump back and forth between the last two tabs. Does that explain your irritation?

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

Not irritated, just baffled. :) Yep, tried cycle backwards, same thing happens when changing tabs with the mouse as described above. The impression I got was that XY sometimes doesn't update its "queue" of last viewed tabs when using the mouse. It's not a big deal, just works weirdly here for some reason, thought it might be a bug.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm all open to the idea, but I just can't see a bug here. :)