Default font for Regular Expressions and Edit Text

Features wanted...
elqasar

Default font for Regular Expressions and Edit Text

Post by elqasar »

In recent versions of Windows and other recent Microsoft applications (e.g. Visual Studio) plus several other text editors, Courier New has been replaced by Consolas which is a more modern monospaced font.

Maybe you want to think about changing the default font setting from Courier New to Consolas in XYplorer?

bdeshi

Re: Default font for Regular Expressions and Edit Text

Post by bdeshi »

maybe it's for backwards compatibility with older OSes.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

Consolas is included with Windows even going back as far as Windows Vista, which is is no longer supported by Microsoft. In other words all the currently supported operating system include Consolas.

I know you will say: Xyplorer still supports XP.

But remember the world has moved on from XP, and it is not supported by Microsoft anymore. In my opinion it is not a good reason to still use Courier New as the default monospaced font as it doesn't even support any of the modern font rendering technologies in modern Windows, especially the changes in Windows 10 Creators Update.

Anyway, I changed the font long ago in XYplorer. I only mention this to possibly benefit new users who will use the default.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

valid points. I wasn't plotting any arguments against. :)
Sure Don could do a check for os version on first run to pick between courier and consolas. Maybe courier is simply the default monospace font chosen by vb and there was no drive for change.
elqasar wrote: I know you will say: Xyplorer still supports XP.
Yes, and No. Soon it could well be a great niche selling point for XY, but I'm never going to see this as justification to avoiding feature development.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

I see that Segoe UI which is the other default font in XYplorer, was also included only from Vista onwards. So there must already be some way that XYplorer uses different fonts when running on XP.