Real update instead of new features

Features wanted...
ChristianRR

Real update instead of new features

Post by ChristianRR »

I'm starting to see signs of obsolescence in XYplorer, and I think it's too bad. I'm referring primarily to

- Lack of Win64 version. The either-or 32/64 bit context menu is clumsy and introduces bugs: when using the 64bit right-click "Delete" on a file in a XYplorer list, the list does not update automatically (auto-update is ON, of course), and the event is not logged by the Action log/File Operation feature.

- Lack of DPI scaling. The big toolbar is too small, and the tab close "X" is microscopic on a 2880x1620 screen with 200% scaling (actually, I use 184% custom scaling, so the X is even closer to Higgs boson size). There's a post in this forum where it seems, that maybe, possibly, Windows 10 Creator Edition has a better implementation of Compatibility Mode, but that's not the way to go for the future.

If XYplorer is to survive in the next few years, it's about time the great Donald Lessau bit the bullet and upgraded all his systems to Windows 10, possibly keeping a computer for Windows 7/8 testing, instead of the other way around. What the hell, why not simplify further by cancelling guaranteed compatibility with 7/8 if necessary. We need first and foremost a XYplorer with guaranteed full Windows 10 compatibility.

New features are more fun and rewarding to program, but frankly, the latest ones are rather superfluous and the program is in danger of turning from a product into a pet project. Better spend a year transitioning to Windows 10 than adding new bells and whistles. By the same token, the Preferences system could be cleaned up, Beta settings that have been in use for months made accessible in a better organized interface, and the documentation updated, revised, and made truly searchable. After that, I think a 20%-30% price increase shouldn't hurt sales, but I'm no marketing man.

By the way, I probably hate Windows 10 MORE than the next guy. After using practically every version since V1, I regret not having switched to MacOS when I built/bought 2 expensive computers last year. XYplorer is one of the things that makes Windows 10 bearable. After Windows 8 (hate-hate-hate) Update bricked my Surface, I decided to freeze all my Windows 10 Pros to v1511. I'll keep it this way until an essential program requires a later version. I would take this painful step for XYplorer 64bit high-DPI aware fully tested Windows 10 compatible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Real update instead of new features

Post by admin »

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion. ;)

PS: I can already promise you that XY will not fix any of the coming Windows versions, so you should indeed check out some other OS...

eil

Post by eil »

ChristianRR wrote:We need first and foremost a XYplorer with guaranteed full Windows 10 compatibility.
either you have multiple cautiousness or who are We? me personally hate Win8,10 and glad i configured my Win7 to never update.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

prino

Post by prino »

What would most definitely be useful would be a pure 64-bit version of XY, but given that M$ isn't likely to release a 64-bit version of VB, this would (seem to) imply that Donald would have to bite a huge bullet and change to another programming platform, and having myself once gone from Turbo Pascal V3(.01a) to Turbo Pascal V6.00, to find out that the generated code was so different that my little snippets of in-line assembler no longer worked, going from VB to Delhi (or Lazarus(?), really cross-platform?) would be several orders of magnitude harder.

However, it probably would be possible, but Donald would more than likely have to give up a degree of control.

Examples of what's possible are UltraEdit and IDA-Pro, products that were originally developed by single individuals, and that are now, like XY, best-in-class, but both now the products of small companies...

Would Donald be willing to take that step? Only he can answer that question...

And as for full W10 compatibility? Why would a real program as good as XY have to be compatible with a 3GB NSA-keylogger pretending to be an OS?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

highend

Post by highend »

prino wrote: a 3GB NSA-keylogger pretending to be an OS?
Good point! :D
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Asta

Post by Asta »

Debian 9 will released 17 june. Please, have a look.