Features wanted...
aferrazlr

Please implement a native 64 bit version

Post by aferrazlr »

Please implement a native 64 bit version

RalphM

Re: Please implement a native 64 bit version

Post by RalphM »

Which is an easy thing to ask - as have many others done before you - but apparently not as easy to achieve for all the reasons you can find in all the other threads about this subject.
I'm working on a 64bit OS too and still can't get all your frustration over XY being a 32bit app and all the "heavy" implications it brings upon all of us!
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

aferrazlr

Post by aferrazlr »

If "many others" have asked before me it may be an indication that it would be a feature valued many by XYplorer customers ;)

Keep the good work! :tup:

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

I'm using x64, but I have to ask this question to those posting: x64 native might be nice but what exact practical advantages are you hoping to get, from having your file manager be x64 rather than x32?

The only benefits I can think of are access to the x64 WIndows Explorer context menu items (or at a stretch perhaps other x64 modules/plugins/software APIs) which won't run in x32 space - and that doesn't need XYPlorer to be x64. It only needs a shim for that one individual part of it. I suppose x64 might make XYPlorer fractionally faster in a tiny way, and it would allow access to >4GB memory space for working, but I doubt that the speed increase would be significant/measurable, or that many people have XYPlorer pushing >4GB of RAM even if using heavy scripts.

So it might help if people posting here or who want an x64 version, could specify the actual advantages they expect to get from it.

Atari800XL

Post by Atari800XL »

Stilez wrote:specify the actual advantages they expect to get from it.
Being able to run XYplorer in a 64bit PE (without the need for WOW64).

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

Atari800XL wrote:
Stilez wrote:specify the actual advantages they expect to get from it.
Being able to run XYplorer in a 64bit PE (without the need for WOW64).
In addition to this, two other primary reasons I want it:

1) Speed. Properly-written / -optimized 64-bit builds crunch text and numbers faster. XYplorer does a lot of both. Hopefully, XYplorer is already taking some advantage of SSE3, possibly AVX, and maybe even the text-processing intrinsics introduced in SSE4. If not, this would be a good time to check them out. All Intel / Intel-compatible CPUs worth mentioning in the last six or so years are capable. (If this would require two or three executables, including one for people running XP on Pentium IIIs, well, that's what decent installers are for.)

Yes, I do see some odd lag and other speed issues in XYplorer from time to time. Some of it I've tracked down to odd network behavior—XYplorer insists on attempting to search the 'network neighborhood' regardless of whether Windows has NetBIOS over TCP and/or the Computer Browser service disabled, for example. The rest of it, I can't explain. These problems aren't present in Explorer, or in Clover, but they are present in XYplorer on several platforms I tested.

2) Security. Before anyone says it: I'm not saying I've found a bunch of specific bugs in XYplorer. I'm referring to the fact that most software on most platforms has major, mostly undiscovered security holes. I was actually going to request the developer turn DEP and ASLR on for prophylaxis, plus a few other safety features. Then I realized there's no x64 build anywhere.

Unfortunately, ASLR in particular is completely defeated by small memory address spaces. The time it takes to scan 4GiB RAM's worth of addresses is next to nothing, so every ASLR implementation I'm aware of is completely useless on either 32 bit-limited platforms or limited binaries on x64 hosts.

XYplorer has a load of great and interesting features, but, for the moment, I'm sticking to Clover.

kinook

Post by kinook »

+1 for a native 64-bit edition. In addition to the above, this would allow

1) Native 64-bit context menu. XY's 64-bit menu is a) noticeably slower to display than the 32-bit one and b) focus leaves the XY main window and goes to the menu, presumably because it's implemented in a separate process.

2) No more

---------------------------
XYplorer 18.00
You need administrator rights to copy files to C:\Windows\System32.
OK

when pasting into C:\Windows\System32. Windows Explorer prompts for elevation in this scenario, but nobody wants to drop down to Explorer.

Since this seems unlikely to ever happen, sadly, it's about time for me to evaluate other file managers again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kinook wrote:2) No more

XYplorer 18.00
You need administrator rights to copy files to C:\Windows\System32.
OK

when pasting into C:\Windows\System32. Windows Explorer prompts for elevation in this scenario, but nobody wants to drop down to Explorer.
Well, this is simply a bug and I'll fix it. You should have told me before... :roll: :whistle:

kinook

Post by kinook »

It was already mentioned and you said it couldn't be fixed.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15253

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kinook wrote:It was already mentioned and you said it couldn't be fixed.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15253
Yes, I just saw that, too. :oops:

So, good luck in your search, and see you back soon! ;)

kinook

Post by kinook »

Or you could hire me to port it. 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well... :biggrin: ... the pressure to do this is pretty low at the moment. XY is doing fine, and I have lots of cool stuff coming in the next versions...

w64bit

Post by w64bit »

64 bit version is necessary.
Using XYplorer 32 bit is like you driving a rusty car with a carburetor.
Please come to this century.

stric

Post by stric »

admin wrote:Well... :biggrin: ... the pressure to do this is pretty low at the moment. XY is doing fine, and I have lots of cool stuff coming in the next versions...
Maybe not THAT fine.
Drag & drop doesn't work with 64bit appications (e.g. UEStudio or Notepad).
64bit context menu isn't that much of a help too. If selecting multiple files from a search result the normal context menu simply doesn't show (instead only Cut | Copy | ... | Selection Stats). So I can't open multiple files in an editor from the context menu either.
It's not that much fun to open multiple files by right clicking each file and "Open with".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing of this is related to bitness.