support 64-bit iFilters for content search

Features wanted...
xyplorerköln

support 64-bit iFilters for content search

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thanks for the excellent software. I enjoy using XYplorer more and more each day as I discover new and hidden functionalities.

After some research and discussion in the forums, I believe it's the case that XYplorer utilizes 32-bit iFilters to perform searches on complex documents such as Microsoft Word docs.

I would like to request that XYplorer include support for 64-bit iFilters. All of the machines I work on include a 64-bit OS and mostly 64-bit software such as Microsoft Office, which come preconfigured with the correct 64-bit iFilters. It is increasingly difficult to find 32-bit iFilters that are recommended for install in such a software environment without special "workarounds," and it would be much easier for end-users if XYplorer simply worked with the 64-bit iFilters available on the system.

highend

Re: support 64-bit iFilters for content search

Post by highend »

XY can't use 64-bit iFilters, it is a 32-bit application. And this won't probably change...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Hi highend -

I would like to encourage you and the development team to look into this further.

In fact, 64-bit filters, drivers, apps, etc. can be used in 32-bit application contexts. It happens all the time and is performed using a "bridge" built by the developer of the 32-bit host software or a third-party bridge developer. This technique is used frequently in enterprise applications (where legacy 32-bit software must interface with new 64-bit drivers and formats) and also quite a bit in media production software (where legacy plugins for audio and video are sometimes vital to content creators but need to be adapted for a 32-bit/64-bit environment).

I believe it would be fairly straightforward (perhaps even trivial) to implement such a 64-to-32-bit iFilter bridge for XYplorer.

highend

Post by highend »

I should have said: directly.

XYcopy.exe is what you would call "a bridge". In fact it's nothing more than an additional
peace of software. IFilters are not only used for searching office / pdf / etc. content
but even for displaying them (preview pane, etc.). So I don't know if this is really that
trivial to integrate that. If it were I'm sure Don would have taken that route long ago...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal