Other types of mini-Tree

Features wanted...
DmFedorov

Other types of mini-Tree

Post by DmFedorov »

Today's mini tree is the tree of most visited folders.
I do not use this mini-tree. For me it is uncomfortable.
But it would be very convenient to have other types of mini-Tree.
------------
Some can immediately say: Paper Folders. They do almost the same thing.
Paper Folders do not create a tree for me. I can not move through the folder tree.
Tree is much more convenient.

So far there are two offers:
1) A mini-tree of favorite folders.
The idea is understandable without explanation, only it is necessary to be able to create several variants of such a tree, each of which would have its own name.
One tree to work for example with the registry files that are scattered all over the computer.
Another tree for working with translation projects.
The third is for working with photos.

2) Mini-tree from folders containing files that have been changed in the specified time range.
Such a tree would be very useful in case there was a problem in the computer.
The approximate time of occurrence of the problem is not difficult to detect.
It is difficult to see the tree from the folders in which the files changed in this time range.

Of course, if the author likes the idea, it can be developed for some specific purposes.

For example, separately for the favorite Tree, for which I can manually specify the required folders
But it can be a combined version.
If I specified a folder, then the whole folder is shown. If I selected one or more files from a folder, then the contents of the whole folder do not interest me, and only the files I have specified will be displayed in it.

And separately for the file tree, which (in my example) is the result of filtering the folders by the file modification time.

SkyFrontier

Re: Other types of mini-Tree

Post by SkyFrontier »

DmFedorov wrote:2) Mini-tree from folders containing files that have been changed in the specified time range.
It is difficult to see the tree from the folders in which the files changed in this time range.
I'm not much into custom columns as I should, since I lost two setups and retreated from forums due to other circumstances but from what I am seeing, I can think of a reactive column writing into a file (I am badly needing this logging capability, actually) the desired targets as well as feeding a mini-tree with those. Long ago I wrote some MT related scripts, have to visit any notes I may have to further develop these ideas.
DmFedorov wrote:1) A mini-tree of favorite folders.
AFAICR scripting could easily allow building & loading as many MTs as you'd possibly need, or am I missing something here...?

DmFedorov wrote:Such a tree would be very useful in case there was a problem in the computer.

I've been there... :roll:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

1) A mini-tree of favorite folders.
The idea is understandable without explanation, only it is necessary to be able to create several variants of such a tree, each of which would have its own name.
I suggest to start with Highend's great script called MiniTreeSwitcher. I would lock the tree, then extend the script with a new menu item to add the currently selected folder to the MiniTree. So it would be possible to build a custom tree.

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

LittleBiG and SkyFrontier i thank you for the desire to try to make this a reality.
I will not be able to do it using scripts.

When I wrote the message, I did not think about scripts.
I thought that the mini-tree of favorite folders can be done using Paper Folders, and filtering a tree by date can be done (and easiest to do) only at the code level of the program.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mini Tree is fully accesible by scripting, so feel free to create your own mini trees.

(@DmFedorov: Note that I read everything. Please do NOT email me to force me to reply to a forum thread. This was the last time I reacted to this. Peace. )

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

admin wrote:(@DmFedorov: Note that I read everything. Please do NOT email me to force me to reply to a forum thread. This was the last time I reacted to this. Peace. )
Peace & friendship. I accept this. I really thought that you did not read.
I wrote this offer (this topic) for you, and you did not answer.

If you read everything, you noticed:
DmFedorov wrote:LittleBiG and SkyFrontier i thank you for the desire to try to make this a reality.
I will not be able to do it using scripts.
In addition, LittleBiG and SkyFrontier, too, can not just write this. It's complicated.

And to be honest (against the background of recent changes in the form of circles for graphical display of size), it seems to me that my offers are much more useful for the program.
They are large and give real comfort.
This is like searching to within a second in your program.
Maybe you do not attach importance to this, but this was the main point for me when I stopped on your program.

I still do not know how to make a tree in the form of a filter (by the time the file was modified) using a script.
Are you sure that this is possible?

highend

Post by highend »

A mini tree displays folders (by default) - But ofc the links part of it could be misused to show
files...

Ofc you could create a mini tree that contains only those folder that contain files that have
been modified lets say "in this week". But their contents would show all files again (unless
you apply a filter to them).

So I'm unsure what you're expecting right now...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For many users the Mini Tree is already at the very limit of what they can understand and use productively. I don't want to move even farther away from the traditional folder tree.

More advanced users can do all they want with scripting.

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

highend wrote:So I'm unsure what you're expecting right now...
I would like to have a folder tree with only those files that have been changed in the specified time period.
The rest of the files in the folders (where there are files changed in the specified period) I would not like to see.
If necessary, I would look at them in another file panel.

As far as I know there are only two script commands related to the tree
loadtree [pathlist], [modify=0]
showintree [path]
where modify =
0: [default] fresh Mini Tree from scratch
1: add paths to current Mini Tree
2: hide paths from current Mini Tree
3: reduce the Mini Tree to just the paths of all tabs in the current pane

And I have no idea how to specify this filter in them. Directly there is simply no such possibility.
Not one word about time. No example about how to make a filter using time.
And I have not a single thought in my head

highend

Post by highend »

This is a (scriptable) two step process:

1. You need to find all files that match your condition (e.g. modified in the last 8 days)
2. You need to set a visual filter (same, 8 days old)

Again, the mini tree shows folders and while it could show only the correct folders,
filtering files is totally unrelated to the content of the tree

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

admin wrote:For many users the Mini Tree is already at the very limit of what they can understand and use productively. I don't want to move even farther away from the traditional folder tree.

More advanced users can do all they want with scripting.
You just wrote what I thought, only in other words. Most users (like me) try to use a mini-tree and then refuse.
Uncomfortable.
But the favorites are used by everyone. All. No one refuses.
You just need to give these users the opportunity to name (without any scripts) this mini tree as they want.
Then they will have several of such trees.
And believe me the reaction will be wow!
As for the mini-tree in the form of a filter. Its need was confirmed by such experienced users as LittleBiG and SkyFrontier.
And both of them, despite their talent and the fact that they really needed it, still do not have such a tree.

You will have to decide Don.
I still think that using scripts, I'll get only a pathetic likeness of what is really needed.

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

highend wrote:This is a (scriptable) two step process:

1. You need to find all files that match your condition (e.g. modified in the last 8 days)
2. You need to set a visual filter (same, 8 days old)

Again, the mini tree shows folders and while it could show only the correct folders,
filtering files is totally unrelated to the content of the tree
Do you know how long it will take? Have you thought about that?
Instead of drawing me a tree faster than usual I'll sit and wait from an half hour to two to have a result.
At least normal search will lead me to this.
Added:
You understand that such a tree is in principle necessary in special cases, when there were troubles with the computer.
And in these cases I need the entire tree of the disk on which Windows is located.

highend

Post by highend »

As for the mini-tree in the form of a filter. Its need was confirmed by such experienced users as LittleBiG and SkyFrontier.
And both of them, despite their talent and the fact that they really needed it, still do not have such a tree.
Where do you read that? They were making suggestions, they didn't say: Holy cow, we need a mini-tree as a filter?

The only way to display what you want is by using paperfolders loaded into the tree. They can show exactly those
files (without setting a filter) that match the conditions.

Otherwise you could only load those folders that match the criteria and add a visual filter to the pane to achieve the
same...
Do you know how long it will take? Have you thought about that?
Instead of drawing me a tree faster than usual I'll sit and wait from an half hour to two to have a result.
At least normal search will lead me to this.
That solely depends on which destinations need to be scanned. Doing it on a whole drive? Can take a few seconds
Why do you think that "a filtered mini-tree" would take less? All data must be read and process by your criterias as well^^

And the whole thing could be speed up by a lot when using Everything...

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

highend wrote:Where do you read that? They were making suggestions, they didn't say: Holy cow, we need a mini-tree as a filter?
From here: He was in such situation, he was there...
SkyFrontier wrote:
DmFedorov wrote:
DmFedorov wrote:Such a tree would be very useful in case there was a problem in the computer.

I've been there... :roll:
And he need folders mini-tree too, but does not have it.
SkyFrontier wrote:
DmFedorov wrote:2) Mini-tree from folders containing files that have been changed in the specified time range.
... I can think of a reactive column writing into a file (I am badly needing this logging capability, actually) the desired targets as well as feeding a mini-tree with those. Long ago I wrote some MT related scripts, have to visit any notes I may have to further develop these ideas.
Fast same with LittleBiG. But yes he did not talk about the filter to the tree.

-----------------
Ok I checked. On the search for the whole disk, it takes me 30 seconds not 30 minutes.
However, when I draw a tree through a system method, such a profound information is not required.
Therefore, this should happen well, very quickly. As the folders are opened - yes, some work will be done and will take time.
Another thing is if I give the command to show in the tree all folders containing the modified files.
But such an action can not be easily performed by a normal tree too. There will be problems.

In the end, it all depends on how it will be done.
I agree to wait 30 seconds, then "freeze" the search results, put them in some database (for example, in paper-folder) and all in order to after these 30 seconds have the opportunity to work quietly with this mini-tree.
But I can not do it myself. I do not believe in my abilities.

However, a "living" tree with a filter would be much better.
-----------------------
As for the tree of favorites - I also thought that it is easier to make such a tree through the paper-folders,
It can even be done with scripts entirely, with nuances.
For Don I proposed to implement this offer inside XY only because nobody would refuse this candy.

highend

Post by highend »

However, when I draw a tree through a system method, such a profound information is not required.
It needs the modified time of all files in the search path^^ Otherwise something like "show me all files
modified in the last 7 days" wouldn't be possible. That can be a huge amount of information depending on file count...

I have a very fast nvme pci-e ssd here and reading that info takes about 4 seconds (115k files) in XYplorer.
Using Everything in that case doesn't help much, it takes 3 seconds to export it with es.exe

+ Post processing time...