Sorting by Size

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Sorting by Size

Post by admin »

I'd like to have the folders always at the bottom when I sort by Size. What about you?

TheQwerty

Re: Sorting by Size

Post by TheQwerty »

Not really.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Make it optional. This does have its uses. When you want to quickly find the largest/smallest file in the current folder, and don't care about subs.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that was my idea. However, it turns out it's not as easy as I thought. I could add "Configuration | Sort and Rename | Sort | Mixed sort on size columns" easily but that's not the same as my original wish. I simply have no way currently to keep all folders at the bottom. And no time to add it now.

So, sorry, needs more meditation...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:So, sorry, needs more meditation...
I love that as the OP you're apologizing to yourself here. :lol: :P

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LOL, guess I was in Japan too often...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I don't. For me, folders should always be at the top of the list.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

zer0 wrote:I don't. For me, folders should always be at the top of the list.
It was the same for me before for a long time. But I have been using folders and files mixed for more than 2 years now.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

LittleBiG wrote:
zer0 wrote:I don't. For me, folders should always be at the top of the list.
It was the same for me before for a long time. But I have been using folders and files mixed for more than 2 years now.
Fair enough. My workflows, when it comes to sorting by size, keep and treat folders and files separately.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

Extra idea related:

I would like to see a thick horizontal dividing line between folders and files and a button (Can be in the # column) to go quickly to this line, with the purpose of locating the last folder and the first file or vice versa from the file list. When there are hundreds of folders and files, it is required to move the scroll bar too many times

Good idea?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

CompSystems wrote:Extra idea related:

I would like to see a thick horizontal dividing line between folders and files and a button (Can be in the # column) to go quickly to this line, with the purpose of locating the last folder and the first file or vice versa from the file list. When there are hundreds of folders and files, it is required to move the scroll bar too many times

Good idea?
Well... I use this (via CKS) to achieve similar effect:

Code: Select all

$cnt = gettoken("<allitems>", count, '" "');
   $sp = $cnt \ 2;
   if (get("focusedPos") >= $sp) { sel 1; #1049; } elseif (get("focusedPos") < $sp) { sel $sp; #1049; };
-fine tuning is required to meet your setup config. I guess I managed it better, since <allitems> is available (yes, I'm outdated).
Last edited by SkyFrontier on 22 Mar 2017 22:33, edited 2 times in total.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:I'd like to have the folders always at the bottom when I sort by Size. What about you?
admin wrote:Yes, that was my idea. However, it turns out it's not as easy as I thought. I could add "Configuration | Sort and Rename | Sort | Mixed sort on size columns" easily but that's not the same as my original wish. I simply have no way currently to keep all folders at the bottom. And no time to add it now.

So, sorry, needs more meditation...
In the meantime, setting a label to desired files, sorting by it, and doing a secondary sorting by size allows to achieve this.
Hacky but joyful.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

CompSystems wrote:Extra idea related:

Good idea?
I used this for years to achieve something similar:

Code: Select all

#1033;sel +, 1
Create a user button for it.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I am using the old script for size circles. I set up the custom column as Trigger: List, Item Type: Files and Folders. But when I enter a folder, only the file sizes circles appear, I have to refresh the column to show the folder circles too. I don't consider this as a correct working. By the way, I have the Cache Folder Sizes on, so I can always see something in the Size column.
Edit: the same is true for the bar size.
Attachments
2017-03-23_15h39_53.png
2017-03-23_15h39_53.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, tricky! :maf: 2 hours... But I think I got it. :cup: