HoverBox improvements

Features wanted...
Leito

Re: HoverBox improvements

Post by Leito »

What I meant is, how will we see the dotted border if the hoverbox background is dark (for instance, worst case, same dark as the hoverbox frame)?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There will always be a visible difference between the frame and the content background.

Leito

Post by Leito »

Visible enough to see that small dotted line?

(Not criticizing here, just an honest question. :) )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It should be enough, yes. In dark you have a much smaller color spectrum, so differences are smaller. But the brain gets used to it. No distinctions should get lost in dark mode when it's well designed.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote:I think we can do better than those 3 dots. What about this way to show that the list longer than can be shown:
Looks good to me. So the small bottom grid appears if you can scroll more files/folders into view. Will it disappear while you're scrolling and only reappear if you stop and there is still more scrolling that can be done?

By the way, any reason why you have the top and side borders as thick as they are? I think the Hover Boxes would look more refined and a bit less "fat" if they were slimmed down (or possibly make them capable of losing weight via or tweak or option). :)
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:
admin wrote:I think we can do better than those 3 dots. What about this way to show that the list longer than can be shown:
Looks good to me. So the small bottom grid appears if you can scroll more files/folders into view. Will it disappear while you're scrolling and only reappear if you stop and there is still more scrolling that can be done?

By the way, any reason why you have the top and side borders as thick as they are? I think the Hover Boxes would look more refined and a bit less "fat" if they were slimmed down (or possibly make them capable of losing weight via or tweak or option). :)
1. Yes. When I add scrolling it will appear also at the top when you can scroll up. But I'm not totally happy with the looks. I will wait until I find something better...

2. The HoverBox started out for images, and the fat frame makes them look better IMO. Looks almost iconic to me in the meantime. I won't touch it for now (and won't let you touch it ;) ).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:Tree: When "Full row select" is checked, then hover over icon apparently does not show the box. I would not expect that.
Sure, fix comes.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

HBOFmore2.png
I (or you) might come up with something better later, but you get the idea...
I like this better than the 3 dots.

Borut

Post by Borut »

klownboy wrote:
Borut wrote:List: When "Show info tips only when hovering file icon (File Info Tips)" is checked, then - when in tiles or thumbnail view - I would rather expect that tile/thumbnail "takes the icon role", and not its text.
Honestly if that were to happen when viewing in thumbnail mode we have the Hover Box popping up incessantly and quite annoyingly all the time when not desired due to the large areas covered by the thumbnails. It does come up on the "filenames" and "folders". There's another setting under Thumbnails to "Show icon on thumbnail". I'd say only show a Hover Box on that icon if someone has that set, otherwise only on the filename or folder as it does now.
I basically agree. But for instance on ::fresh, it took me a while just to realize that - on computer level - in tiles view hover over drives is working at all!

Maybe some kind of solution would be (easily?) possible, that would suit all, for instance:
  • Some kind of a special option for hover box over folder tiles/thumbnails only, or
  • Automatically enabling this for folder tiles/thumbnails only when image file type is not selected for a hovering box.
  • Perhaps some tweak?
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem is we don't want a too large area where things pop up when you hover it. It would be too poppy.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hari3 wrote:Also, there should be a toolbar icon for hoverbox to toggle it,by which one can just clicking this icon can enable/disable hoverbox
without going to settings every time.
More people think so? I mean, is there still space on the toolbar?

hari3

Post by hari3 »

Why do you think like that? As people will only put those icons on the toolbar which they require and not everybody will use all of them,so
there will be space.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, my humble assumption is that there are so many useful buttons now that everybody's toolbar is full.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote:
klownboy wrote:

1. Yes. When I add scrolling it will appear also at the top when you can scroll up. But I'm not totally happy with the looks. I will wait until I find something better...

2. The HoverBox started out for images, and the fat frame makes them look better IMO. Looks almost iconic to me in the meantime. I won't touch it for now (and won't let you touch it ;) ).
Maybe using some much thinner blocks or lines. I don't know if you could get mini arrows that small (up or down).

No problem. The boxes with the fat borders do have a retro look to them...like I'm watching a Jean Harlow movie.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) My original idea came from Polaroids. Retro glory!