HoverBox improvements

Features wanted...
Leito

HoverBox improvements

Post by Leito »

Hi,

I think it would be neat if the following improvements could be made to the Hover Box:
  1. Support more formats than images. I'm thinking about text files in particular.
  2. Display the top-left part of hover box at the end of the "Name" column when in Details view in order not to hide other items names in the list.
Last edited by Leito on 11 Feb 2019 17:18, edited 7 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hover Box improvements

Post by admin »

1. Yes, this is kind of planned.
2. It's the standard position for Info Tips. I think it would be confusing to pop them far away from the cursor.

Leito

Post by Leito »

1. Great to know!
2. QTTabBar does it, and I find it better because you always have to look at the same position (even if you move your cursor left-right) when you're quickly searching for a picture. See in action :

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, this looks so similar to HoverBox! :shock: I really thought I had invented something new... :roll:

OK, I admit it looks not bad, but about other views (List, Tiles, Thumbnails...)?

Leito

Post by Leito »

Aha, don't worry, you invented plenty of new! :D

For every other view, the preview is displayed next to the name. The name of the file is never hidden, even partially, by the hover box (or "preview" as it is called in QTTabBar). I tried to capture all the different views on this video.

What I prefer in the QTTabBar "preview" as well is that there is no flickering when hovering several files quickly. But maybe that's the dark background of the HoverBox that's causing this flickering effect?

Here are some screenshots of the QTTabBar "preview" options, if that can give you some ideas for other improvements (let me know if "advertising" another software here is not allowed).

admin
Site Admin

Re: HoverBox improvements

Post by admin »

Thank you, good stuff!

(I'll check that flicker...)

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:2. It's the standard position for Info Tips. I think it would be confusing to pop them far away from the cursor.
As the person responsible for pointing out that HB didn't match the Info Tips when introduced...

I just wanted to chime in to say I'm not opposed to the positioning shown here, but I do feel that when it should apply to both HB and Info Tips.*
My point was just that they should be consistent, not that the Info Tips' position was correct.

There is certainly a polished slickness on display in that GIF which is both appealing and missing from XY's tips.

*Along similar lines I'd like to see HB and Info Tips adopt more consistency - perhaps replacing the old tips with the new style - but I'm not invested in pushing this at present. ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tricky. (But not impossbile)

1) I cannot control the position of the normal File Info Tip (it's always where the mouse is). So when the position should be consistent then I have to dump the whole File Info Tip and do Hover Box with or without preview always.

But then what with the cropped filename tips? They should be in the traditional position. So they should remain normal File Info Tips.

2) Conc. that flicker. What's your setting for Configuration | File Info Tips | Initial delay in milliseconds?

Leito

Post by Leito »

admin wrote:2) Conc. that flicker. What's your setting for Configuration | File Info Tips | Initial delay in milliseconds?
I set it to 0 ms.

Leito

Post by Leito »

Just to be clear about what I mean by "flicker" here : there's a flicker when hovering over several files quickly that is not present using QTTabBar "preview".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leito wrote:
admin wrote:2) Conc. that flicker. What's your setting for Configuration | File Info Tips | Initial delay in milliseconds?
I set it to 0 ms.
Ok, you can say bye-bye to the flicker in the next beta.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I finally (or: for now) decided to move the HB only some pixels to the right. It already yields a massive usability plus, you will see...

In a later phase (the feature is still young) one can think about merging Info Tips and HB into one.

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

This might not be an issue with Windows 8 or higher but with Windows 7 the HoverBox does not display photos correctly. When a HoverBox is created it doesn't use the orientation information for the display of photos unlike the thumbnails or previews. It would be a great plus if this could be implemented in a similar way for HoverBoxes.
Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What with the other image previews in XY?

- Thumbnails
- Preview tab
- Preview Pane
- Floating Preview

Same problem?

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

No, the image orientation is only wrong in a HoverBox.

- Thumbnails - okay
- Preview tab - okay
- Preview Pane - okay
- Floating Preview - okay

Something must be implemented differently in the HoverBox image mapping.
BTW I would have voiced a small complaint if image rendering would have been corrupted elsewhere before.

PS: I'm a senior software engineer myself.