HoverBox improvements

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: HoverBox improvements

Post by admin »

That's really strange. All my rotation test images come out okay in the hover box.

Could you send me one of yours for testing?

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

Sorry for not answering right away.

Here is a JPG that misbehaves in a HoverBox. I also attached an image that shows its display in a HoverBox and the thumbnail view.
Displayed corrently in the thumbnail
Displayed corrently in the thumbnail
HoverBox_Display.png (671.7 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Wrong_Orientation.jpg
Wrong_Orientation.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3358 times
Keep in mind that my operating system is Windows 7 Pro. This operating system does not natively support photo orientation adjustments.
The attachment Wrong_Orientation.jpg is no longer available
PS: My system is dual boot with Windows Vista on drive C and Windows 7 on drive E. It is currently booted into Windows 7.
PSS: I couldn't upload the second example Wrong_2.jpg because of the size limitation. In the hoverBox it's displayed upside down like in the Window Explorer.
Attachments
Windows Explorer get is wrong.
Windows Explorer get is wrong.
Windows_7_Pro.png (439.06 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's clear now: Contrary to other previews in XY HoverBox uses the thumbnail handler to preview images. And whatever is installed as thumbnail handler on your system does not support auto-rotation. This is a rare thing. What is your thumbnail handler?

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

I haven't installed any additional thumbnail handlers. Therefore my system is using the standard Windows 7 handler, which is, as we all know, not capable of auto-rotation. I don't know of any free thumbnail handler extensions for Windows 7.
I could write my own handler that would read the picture orientation, rotate to image in memory and hand it off to the default thumbnail handler. But I'm afraid I wouldn't have time for this.

With this situation, the HoverBox doesn't seem to be such a useful tool on my Windows 7 system after all.
I take lots of pictures on my iPad and since I'm left handed use it in a way where the home button is on the left side. Hence, all my photos are upside down.

Now, this is the wishes section of the forum. Would it be possible to include an auto-rotation feature for the HoverBox, just to satisfy the Window 7 user? Something like I mentioned above, where XYplorer would read the orientation information, adjust the image before calling the registered thumbnail handler. Would be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I did not know that. And I'm surprised that I did not get any such reports from other Win7 users. Actually, I find it hard to believe.

Of course, I can make auto-rotation happen if needed. I will add something to the next version.

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

Not necessarily. The HoverBox is pretty new and only displays pictures on Win7 machines incorrectly, when the image is rotated and the correct orientation is stored in the EXIF information block. Most photos on the internet are orientation corrected and have their EXIF data removed.
That's also the procedure I would choose to correct my problem. Rotating the image but leaving the orientation information intact would cause all kinds of problems leading most likely to wrong renderings.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next version should fix it.

Are we only talking about *.jpg pics?

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

Yes, I only ran across this problem with JPGs. The problem comes with the orientation information in the EXIF data block that might be filled in by a digital camera. According to the EXIF standard, this tag can also be included in TIF files. However, I don't know any digital camera that outputs TIF files. Do you?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AFAIK, TIF (don't known any camera either) and also NEF (Nikon Raw Image) files have it. I'll cover those for now.

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

Very good, thank you. I'm looking forward to this.

Wugs

Post by Wugs »

Very well done. Thank you. It works perfectly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leito wrote:Hi,

I think it would be neat if the following improvements could be made to the Hover Box:
  1. Support more formats than images. I'm thinking about text files in particular.
Hover Box support for text files comes in next beta! :cup: :cup: :cup:

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

admin wrote: Hover Box support for text files comes in next beta! :cup: :cup: :cup:
hope to see video thumbnails in hover box

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Coming... :cup:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I believe this has been asked before, but since you are on a roll with HoverBox improvements (and a very good roll it is), any possibility for gif movement in the HoverBox? :ninja:
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440