next-gen tabset functionality needed

Features wanted...
xyplorerköln

next-gen tabset functionality needed

Post by xyplorerköln »

OK, after using XYplorer extensively for awhile now, I feel I can justifiably say that the Tabset feature needs some work.

First, it just feels "weird" in use. A few examples:

1. Let's say that I create a tabset TIGERS. I then want to open the same tabset in the other pane, but XYplorer won't let me open TIGERS in the other pane (ostensibly because the same flat files can't be used at the same time and you don't want to have forking tabsets). So I'd have to open a clone of TIGERS. Now you're putting users into engineering mode.

2. Let's say I have TIGERS open and close a couple tabs, then realize I want to reopen the original set of tabs. If I just try to "Open" TIGERS again, nothing happens. But I haven't yet saved TIGERS minus the two tabs, so as a user, I would expect that selecting to open "TIGERS" would reopen the closed tabs. But no... XYplorer makes me choose "Revert to Saved" which feels counterintuitive to me.

3. For some unknown reason, I have Tabsets named "1" and "2" available via the "Open" menu. But these tabsets cannot be opened, deleted, etc. It seems like this might have something to do with the default "there must be at least 2 tabsets" rule, but now I'm stuck with two unuseable Tabsets, some sort of remnant. It would make more sense to abstract the feature so that 0 (no) tabsets could exist, and then the user can create as many (or delete back down to zero) tabsets as the user desires. You require a minimum of two tabsets for engineering reasons, but I would suggest abstracting the technical requirement from the user so they can manage tabsets without needing to keep an arbitrary 2 around.

4. If I choose to "Open" a tabset from the menu, I am shown a popup menu which shows all available tabsets for a pane. But if I left click the Tabsets toolbar button, it only shows me a subset of tabsets. This subset varies depending on which pane I select. That's bizarre - what does it mean?

Those are just a few examples. I have some suggestions:

First, there should be a better way to manage Tabsets without having to mess with editing Lists. I appreciate having file-level access to Tabsets via the flat-file system, but when I need to work quickly, sometimes I would prefer a GUI management tool. So instead of just open/save/rename functions, I'd like to see a tool which also allows for tabset deletion which would also remove the tabsets from all Lists, etc. automatically.

Second, I'd like to see Tabsets be more intuitive. If I've saved a tabset previously, don't make me "Revert to saved"; if I simply choose "Open" again, I as the user expect the Tabset to revert because that's how files work, in common experience. I'd get rid of "Revert to saved" entirely and just let the user open a tabset again. (Having "Open" do nothing in this scenario feels bizarre, like something is broken.)

Further, I think there is an opportunity to perhaps create a variant feature based on tabsets that is more useful to users like me. After messing with current Tabsets, I get the engineered idea: a tabset can't be opened in two panes because then the tabset forks into two instances, raising questions of which one should be saved later, etc. But I propose that in certain scenarios (like mine), the average user doesn't care about the fact that flat files are sitting there and each tabset can only be opened at one time. The average user, instead, just wants to create a predefined set of tabs (not exactly a tabset as you've defined it) and simply pop those tabs open in either pane at any time. This would be more like web browser bookmarks, where you might have a folder of locations saved and you open them all up in tabs at once to create a browser workspace. I think the main difference, conceptually, between what you've coded and what I'm talking about is that a given pane wouldn't be thought of as in a "tabset state" like you have it now. The user could create a tabset (saving what's currently open as a tabset, or manually creating a tabset, etc.) at any time, and pop that tabset open at any time. They want to save another tabset? Go ahead. They want to delete tabsets? Go ahead. Reopen the tabset you previously saved, in both panes? Go ahead. Does this make sense? This idea is more like bookmarks for panes.

I understand that Catalogs can be used in this way, but then I'd be mixing use cases (workflow types) in the Catalog and it could get confusing. I use Catalogs for groups of similar locations that I need to refer back to. I'd rather have a separate function for opening a tabset-specific workspace, if that makes sense. So perhaps there could be some variant on Tabsets that works more like I described?

admin
Site Admin

Re: next-gen tabset functionality needed

Post by admin »

OK, sounds reasonable.

But: tabsets is a BIG feature that needs BIG time. I don't see this coming very soon.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Understood. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this topic.

By the way, I'm really thankful for your approach to responding to the continuous onslaught of requests you receive. Please know that I am generally EXTREMELY happy with XYplorer and am blown away by the amazing thought and attention obviously put into the product. You've built a game-changer - I often wonder why a gigantic corporation like Microsoft couldn't come up with this stuff but you can in solo. Truly excellent.

So with that, because you've created such a top-notch tool, I think your users naturally feel invested in helping it become better and better... hence all the great requests. Without your excellent engineering, many of us would be stuck doing pointless workarounds. Thanks for all you do to help make our work lives better!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! Actually I think Microsoft could easily come up with a brilliant file manager that would blow away all the alternative file managers, XY included. But they are smarter than that. They build an environment where such things can evolve. Windows is not just a product, it's a living world. This is cool, and in the long run it's a win win win. Obviously I'm grateful for it.