Tags, tags, tags

Features wanted...
rclkrtrzckr

Tags, tags, tags

Post by rclkrtrzckr »

Hi all

Oh my God, how my love for xyplorer grew these days! Big :appl: to the dev and the forum :D

Anyway, as a person that heavily depends on tags, I'd have a few suggestions to make.

1. Related tags

Maybe as a derivate of the "click and search: tags", I would consider this very useful: If one clicks on a tag (not the checkbox), the tags list could highlight related tags, maybe even using stronger colors for stronger related tags. Example:

File: one.txt, Tags: System A, Documentation, y:2017, s:in progress
File: two.txt, Tags: System B, Documentation, y:2016, s:final
File: three.txt, Tags: System C, Documentation, y:2016, s:in progress

Clicking on the tag "Documentation" would then
  • show the files in the tab (as it does today)
  • highlight "y:2016" and "s:in progress" in the tag list strongly
  • highlight all other tags a bit less strong than the more common ones
  • maybe even highlight common tasks in the file list (see below)
Highlighting could be done by changing the background gradually, by indenting, regrouping, ... What tools like QlikView do is grey out values that are not related.

2. Visualize tags in the file lists

The tags in the file list panes could use some highlighting, really. Only a small box around would already help. I'm using dots and colons to group my tags, and I can barely differentiate them from commas. This could also be used with #1 above.

3. Make them interactive

Ideas:
  • "ctrl-click -> find related". This should differentiate whether the file list is already a tag search or not. If yes, it should add the clicked tag to the search list to narrow down the search result. If not, it should start a search.
  • "click on tag -> remove tag", which brings me to #4 ;)
4. Tag-undo!

This should actually be #1. Ctrl-Z FTW!

5. Autocomplete

Some simple autocomplete like in Evernote would help a lot.

Please tell me what you think.

Cheers

André

highend

Re: Tags, tags, tags

Post by highend »

3 & 4 could be scripted (but not with custom menus on click, but toolbar buttons, keyboard shortcuts, etc.)
5 Could be done with an external application

I'm just making suggestions on how you could get some of these features now...^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rclkrtrzckr wrote:Oh my God, how my love for xyplorer grew these days! Big :appl: to the dev and the forum :D
Thanks for the :appl: , and thanks for your (numerous ;) ) suggestions!

BTW, currently there is a cool way to show your love in public: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17015

Yes, tag-undo would be nice, but it can create a vast amount of data quickly. I still waiting for a good idea how to handle this...

rclkrtrzckr

Post by rclkrtrzckr »

admin wrote: Thanks for the :appl: , and thanks for your (numerous ;) ) suggestions!

BTW, currently there is a cool way to show your love in public: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17015
Been there, done that :) #34 is me.
Yes, tag-undo would be nice, but it can create a vast amount of data quickly. I still waiting for a good idea how to handle this...
For the time being, a safety net would be fine. Like "oops, all tags gone? Undo, undo!".

I have more suggestions in the back of my head. I noticed, for example, that there's a difference between menu commands and toolbar button commands. I would have liked to hit buttons with a keystroke.

Anyway, keep it up! :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are always two natural safety nets:

1) Unless you constantly press "Save Settings" (or enabled Configuration | Startup & Exit | Autosave settings after this many minutes, which I don't really recommend to enable exactly for this reason), none of your changes are saved to disk. So if anything dramatically goes wrong you can always use "File / Restart without Saving" which is functionally like "Revert to Saved" in some editors.

2) An at least 24 hours old "last good" backup of tag.dat (the tags database) is always kept in the path <xydata>\AutoBackup. This is if Configuration | Startup & Exit | Backup settings on save is ticked, which is highly recommended.

Thanks for voting! :tup: