64 bit XYPlorer

Features wanted...
prino

Re: 64 bit XYPlorer

Post by prino »

Asta wrote:
highend wrote:Time to go to .Net ? Is it possible ?
A more(?) logical avenue to explore would be Delphi. It would make XY also available on iOS and Linux.

Obviously it would be a huge undertaking, I surmise that Donald has more than a fair amount of non-VB routines to make XY faster than a speeding bullet, and converting those into Delphi-equivalent ones may be far from trivial!

Hell, even converting a program in one dialect from Pascal (Virtual) to another (Free) of the same language has so far proved to be impossible for me due to subtle differences in the way variables are stored. (Not to mention the fact that the FP IDE is a, excusez-les-mots, crock of crap, compared to the VP one, making debugging the problem even harder...)
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

The thing that would improve the most with a 64-bit version is being able to interact with my 64-bit programs. I can't drag & drop anything between any MS Office app, 7-zip, or any other 64-bit app. Makes it super frustrating that I have to install 32-bit versions of everything just because I prefer using XYP.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

If you read all the other topics on this forum regarding 64bit you will have noticed that it is not due to Don (the developer) not being willing to make a 64bit version of XYplorer but rather technical reasons which still could only be addressed by switching to a completely different language altogether.
Understandably this is not something any programmer would do easily.

As for the the inconvenience to install 32bit versions of apps, M$ once recommended to use the 32bit version of office unless you really need to deal with very large files, thus needing the 64bit version.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Leito

Post by Leito »

Broham32 wrote: 04 Jan 2019 00:25 I can't drag & drop anything between any MS Office app, 7-zip, or any other 64-bit app.
I have no issue of the sort, so there may be a way for you to solve this with the existing 32-bit XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leito wrote: 04 Jan 2019 08:31
Broham32 wrote: 04 Jan 2019 00:25 I can't drag & drop anything between any MS Office app, 7-zip, or any other 64-bit app.
I have no issue of the sort, so there may be a way for you to solve this with the existing 32-bit XYplorer.
Same here. Bitness is not relevant here. If dragging to other apps does not work it must have another cause.

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

admin wrote: 04 Jan 2019 10:45
Leito wrote: 04 Jan 2019 08:31
Same here. Bitness is not relevant here. If dragging to other apps does not work it must have another cause.
Hrm, it seems you're right. I installed 32-bit versions of Office, 7-Zip, & other progs & I still have probs with drag n drop. Any ideas how this might be resolved?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you already try to tick this? (or untick if it is ticked already)
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Drag and Drop | Use standard shell drag and drop

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

admin wrote: 07 Jan 2019 08:58 Did you already try to tick this? (or untick if it is ticked already)
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Drag and Drop | Use standard shell drag and drop
I did check that. I have XY on 2 different machines. The settings are the same on both machines, but one of them doesn't work, wtf lol?

highend

Post by highend »

Dragging from where to where, 7z to XY or XY to 7z and under which privileges are both apps running (admin vs. normal user)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Hi Broham32,
Not sure if this applies to you or not. I had a similar problem like this a long time ago and I narrowed it down to one of the applications were started with "Run as Administrator" ticked in the shortcut and the other was not. If one was ticked and the other not, drag and drop (and other things) was wonky. This was on Windows 10 x64. My local account is part of the Administrators group and I just run apps w/o any special run-as settings applied.

I am not using the "Run as Administrator" option in my shortcuts any longer and can drag and drop between any application to/from XY and with mixed architectures, e.g. x86 and x64. Matter of fact, it amazes me how well XY picks up the drag and drop the moment it enters the window (the new tooltip is pure bad-assed-ness).

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

VeeGee wrote: 09 Jan 2019 00:37 Hi Broham32,
Not sure if this applies to you or not. I had a similar problem like this a long time ago and I narrowed it down to one of the applications were started with "Run as Administrator" ticked in the shortcut and the other was not. If one was ticked and the other not, drag and drop (and other things) was wonky. This was on Windows 10 x64. My local account is part of the Administrators group and I just run apps w/o any special run-as settings applied.

I am not using the "Run as Administrator" option in my shortcuts any longer and can drag and drop between any application to/from XY and with mixed architectures, e.g. x86 and x64. Matter of fact, it amazes me how well XY picks up the drag and drop the moment it enters the window (the new tooltip is pure bad-assed-ness).
That was it, VeeGee! As soon as I turned admin mode off of XYPlorer it now works. Stinks that I can't run XY as admin, but oh well. This solves so much. Thank you!

highend

Post by highend »

Stinks that I can't run XY as admin
Ofc you can. But obviously any drop-receiving application must be running with the same privileges^^
At least as long as they aren't modifying the User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) message filter...

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

highend wrote: 10 Jan 2019 09:26
Stinks that I can't run XY as admin
Ofc you can. But obviously any drop-receiving application must be running with the same privileges^^
At least as long as they aren't modifying the User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) message filter...
That would work but, unfortunately, Outlook doesn't offer a "compatibility" tab on the properties dialog. Any tips?
https://ibb.co/8xM2d3W

highend

Post by highend »

Use a batch file to start it?

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF & COLOR 0F & CLS

REM ### Admin Check ########################################
REG QUERY "HKU\S-1-5-19" >NUL 2>NUL && GOTO :ENDUAC
SET "vbsFile=%TEMP%\~getAdmin.vbs"
IF "%1" NEQ "" (FOR /F "tokens=*" %%I in ('ECHO %*') DO SET "param=%%~I")

ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^)> "%vbsFile%"
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "cmd", "/c """"%~s0"" ""%param%""""", "", "runas", ^1>> "%vbsFile%"
CSCRIPT "%vbsFile%" //Nologo
IF EXIST "%vbsFile%" DEL /Q "%vbsFile%" >NUL 2>NUL
EXIT /B
:ENDUAC

START "" "<path to outlook>\Outlook.exe"
And if you don't like the command prompt window / the icon, compile it...
http://www.f2ko.de/en/b2e.php

Broham32

Post by Broham32 »

highend wrote: 11 Jan 2019 09:13 Use a batch file to start it?

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF & COLOR 0F & CLS

REM ### Admin Check ########################################
REG QUERY "HKU\S-1-5-19" >NUL 2>NUL && GOTO :ENDUAC
SET "vbsFile=%TEMP%\~getAdmin.vbs"
IF "%1" NEQ "" (FOR /F "tokens=*" %%I in ('ECHO %*') DO SET "param=%%~I")

ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^)> "%vbsFile%"
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "cmd", "/c """"%~s0"" ""%param%""""", "", "runas", ^1>> "%vbsFile%"
CSCRIPT "%vbsFile%" //Nologo
IF EXIST "%vbsFile%" DEL /Q "%vbsFile%" >NUL 2>NUL
EXIT /B
:ENDUAC

START "" "<path to outlook>\Outlook.exe"
And if you don't like the command prompt window / the icon, compile it...
http://www.f2ko.de/en/b2e.php
Perfect! Thanks for the tip!