64 bit XYPlorer

Features wanted...
atarikg

64 bit XYPlorer

Post by atarikg »

I think that what prevents this great tool from being the best out there is the lack of 64-bit support. As a software engineer, I need my tools that are working on 64-bit Windows, in order to make this tool the way I need,I had to deal with Windows registry a lot. If it was me, I would stop all other improvements, and would solely focus on updating this great application to 64-bit. Any news on that?

Thanks,

highend

Re: 64 bit XYPlorer

Post by highend »

There is no 64-bit compiler for VB6 -> No 64-bit version possible
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

@atarikg: Aside from the extra step of invoking XYplorer's 64 bit context menu to access 64-bit handlers and extensions, what are some other specific 64-bit issues you wrestle with in 32-bit XYplorer?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

atarikg

Post by atarikg »

@Jerry: The major problem so far has been icon overlays. I am using Team Foundation Server 2015 Power Tools, and the icon overlays are not showing up on XYPlorer, whereas, they are working fine on Windows Explorer. Also, the same issue applies to Google Drive icon overlays. And, yes, I have enabled the icon overlay setting on XyPlorer.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

atarikg wrote:@Jerry: The major problem so far has been icon overlays.
Ok, I see how that can be a significant issue. I ask about this, because I hear a lot of complaints about XYplorer not being 64-bit but for my particular usage and because XY is mostly about I/O, it's a not a problem at all. Whereas, the 32-bit app that is a big problem for me is Firefox, because of the per-process memory limitation and it's single-process architecture. (I know there's a 64-bit version available, but there you have integration issues with plugins and add-ons.)
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

@atarikg, But even with the icon overlay issue, can you not workaround it with WOW64 or related registry changes? I think you referred to something like this earlier. If so, at least it's not a total showstopper. But it does mean that XYplorer has to be even more worth it (relative to competitors), to warrant this kind of continual intervention, especially if a 64-bit VB compiler never happens.

I think there should be a forum here dedicated solely to 64-bit integration issues where people such as yourself could help work out the issues, and ultimately make available a single registry file for each external software product that others can then load on their respective systems.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Jerry wrote:@atarikg, But even with the icon overlay issue, can you not workaround it with WOW64 or related registry changes?
Only if a 32-bit version of the extension exists.

Typically shell extensions not working in XY boil down to four causes.

1) The 32-bit version is not included with the 64-bit version.
This can usually be resolved by installing both versions.

2) The extension only registers the 64-bit version, but includes a 32-bit version for reasons. :veryconfused:
This can be resolved by manually registering the 32-bit version in the registry.
This is the case for the Team Foundation Server Power Tools.

3) 1 + 2 = The extension refuses to allow both versions to be installed at the same time.
This requires laboriously pulling the 32-bit DLLs (& support files) out of the installer or an installed instance and manually registering them.
Microsoft's Office team loves to do this for some stupid reason.

4) The extension is from Adobe and goes to great effort to not work anywhere but Windows/File explorer.
Adobe sucks - pick one of the better options and use it instead.

Unfortunately issue 1 is going to continue to happen with increasing frequency so long as Microsoft continues to support shell extensions - though they have been making them less-and-less attractive so who knows?

Asta

Post by Asta »

highend wrote:There is no 64-bit compiler for VB6 -> No 64-bit version possible
Hey,

VB6 is dead now. Microsoft support is over since ... april 2008. Time to go to .Net ? Is it possible ?

Thanks

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Asta wrote:Is it possible ?
Yes.

Is it likely to happen? I don't think so - afair, Don had given up his .Net-migration prototyping after only a couple of days.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

.Net is crap. There is no replacement for VB6 yet (there are some hints that MS is working on something, let's see).

BTW, VB is far from dead. For some background info check this: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=VB6

Asta

Post by Asta »

admin wrote:.Net is crap. There is no replacement for VB6 yet (there are some hints that MS is working on something, let's see).

BTW, VB is far from dead. For some background info check this: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=VB6
Humpf.... not really convinced with this. PLM86 was also, in it's time, a very good programming language for Intel 16 bits based chipsets. But all 16 bits progz stop running with W7 or Server 2K8.

Just hope Intel and AMD (and MS ?) will continue for a very long time to emulate x86 architecture. Have a pray !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't forget the danger from meteorites and the climate change. This planet is just a too insecure place to risk wasting $40.

Asta

Post by Asta »

Quod erat demonstrandum

Thanks

Atari800XL

Post by Atari800XL »

When I'm running pure 64bit Windows PE, the tools I miss most are XYplorer and The Semware Editor.

Of course, WOW64 is now possible, even in Windows 10 PE, but a 64bit version surely would be nice.

Movie reference:
Me: "Surely, there's something you can do? Now let's say we had a 64bit version of XYplorer"
Don: "Don't call me Shirley"
XYplorer Beta Club: "We had a 64bit version of XYplorer"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:biggrin: