Support for APE audio format

Features wanted...
Jerry

Support for APE audio format

Post by Jerry »

At least, to see the Bit Rate, Sampling Frequency, Channel Count in tooltips.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Support for APE audio format

Post by admin »

Not before there's a sign of interest (in the form of orders) from the lame audio community. The culture of taking without giving seems to be the default with those folks. Only my personal experience. Need no more proofs of it at the moment.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm not familiar with the experience with audio community folks, but given your bit rate formula -- is the obstacle with APE and other formats knowing the API to determine the elapsed time in seconds?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a lot of work to look up a file format, understand it (and all its variations), parse it. Currently I have no desire for this.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:It's a lot of work to look up a file format, understand it (and all its variations), parse it. Currently I have no desire for this.
I understand, and I certainly consider it outside the scope of XY to support every audible format out there. [Just like XY shouldn't have to support every previewable document format]. But FLAC and APE are the 2 most common lossless audio formats on Windows machines. Personally, I prefer FLAC and always convert any other format to FLAC, except APE, only because I come across it too frequently.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

My .02 for what those pennies are or aren't worth... .ogg, .shn, and .ape are a shadow of their former popularity, the leader in compression formats amongst the trading communities appears now clearly to be FLAC (as it should be).

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

JLoftus wrote:My .02 for what those pennies are or aren't worth... .ogg, .shn, and .ape are a shadow of their former popularity, the leader in compression formats amongst the trading communities appears now clearly to be FLAC (as it should be).

Well, it probably depends on the community and type of music, and FLAC is certainly more popular and preferred by most, but a lot of APE still comes my way, unfortunately. At some point I'll just have to do a mass conversion to FLAC.