Switches for TrackerV3?

Features wanted...
spinner

Switches for TrackerV3?

Post by spinner »

I would like to launch TrackerV3 from another application. The best which the other application permits me to do is to use the 'SEND TO' option in the context menu. While in this application I am not able to access the shell context menu entry to launch TrackerV3 (which the TrackerV3 config option puts into folders context meus viewed with Window Explorer).

QUESTION ONE. I would like to be able to send a fully qulified file name (i.e. with path) to TrackerV3 and for TrackerV3 to open at that file and folder.

Total Commander works like this but Windows Explorer does not even launch because it demands only a folder name and not a file name.

Can I do this with TrackerV3? At the moment when I try TrackerV3 opens with its previous settings.

I have tried passing a parameter by putting this command
"C:\Program Files\TrackerV3\TrackerV3.exe" %1
into XP's shortcut entry which I have placed in WinXP's 'SEND TO' folder. Unfortunately it doesn't help. Are there some other switches I can use with TrackerV3 to get it to open at the folder for that file?

QUESTION TWO. In fact, it would be wonderful if I could (perhaps using some other switch settings) to get TrackersV3 to actually preview that original file, which is usually a JPEG in my case, with its inbuilt viewer. Can this be done?

Thank you very much for any help. Keep up the good work!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Switches for TrackerV3?

Post by admin »

spinner wrote:QUESTION ONE
Done! 8)
spinner wrote:QUESTION TWO
Done! 8)

Very nice idea, spinner! Thanks :D

Upload coming up soon...

spinner

Post by spinner »

admin wrote:
spinner wrote:QUESTION ONE
Done! 8)
spinner wrote:QUESTION TWO
Done! 8)

Very nice idea, spinner! Thanks :D

Upload coming up soon...
Thanks! It would be useful. I think the viewer feature of TrackerV3 is liaible to being overlooked and underused. It is a fast viewer and I like the idea of being able to call it up direct by passing it a JPEG to display.

if you don't mind, do please let me know when the latest version of Tracker contains these changes. I have got 3.60.0104 Beta and it is not in there. I guess that Beta was uploaded on the same day but before you posted this.

Nice to see you are so responsive! :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

spinner wrote:I have got 3.60.0104 Beta and it is not in there.
What? It should be in there... so it does not work or what?

spinner

Post by spinner »

admin wrote:
spinner wrote:I have got 3.60.0104 Beta and it is not in there.
What? It should be in there... so it does not work or what?
Unfortunately I am unable to get it to work. I can confirm that I am using 3.60.0104.

ONE: SEND TO TrackerV3

I use the SEND TO option on the context menu and in the SEND TO folder I have place a shortcut to TrackerV3 which has the following command:
"C:\Program Files\TrackerV3\TrackerV3.exe" %1
However, TrackerV3 always opens up with the Find File parameters from the previous usage and with the left pane's focus on the desktop.

TWO: Have TrackerV3 view JPEG automatically

I am not sure if you expect if I use SEND TO on a jpeg then TrackerV's viewer will automatically be selected (it doesn't work for me) or if I have to set some special switches when calling TrackerV3.

Sorry to be a bit slow! :-(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

remove the %1 (and the blank before it)

spinner

Post by spinner »

admin wrote:remove the %1 (and the blank before it)
Yay! SEND TO works now! TrackerV3 opens at the right directory and it has selected the file which I "sent". :-)

However my TrackerV3 does not seem to be picking up the fact that i am sending a jpeg and so TrackerV3 does not automatically switch to its preview tab to show that graphics file.

Instead TrackerV3 displays the same file information tab as when TrackerV3 was last used to select a file.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, the tab is remembered.

So, if you really want to use TV3 as a picviewer: create an independent 2nd installation (by simply making a copy of your current one -- OH, isn't it nice to have programs independent of the registry! 8) ), where the preview tab is always selected, and direct your sendto link there.

spinner

Post by spinner »

Donald, thank you for your responsiveness in this thread.
admin wrote:Yes, the tab is remembered.

So, if you really want to use TV3 as a picviewer: create an independent 2nd installation (by simply making a copy of your current one -- OH, isn't it nice to have programs independent of the registry! 8) ), where the preview tab is always selected, and direct your sendto link there.
I can easily use that. Thanks.

I believe the difference between the two installations you refer to in the quotation above is that the INI file has different settings.

Can I put forward one small possible change. What about being able to call TV3 and then, optionally, to specify a different INI file than the usual default INI file.

So, for example, one could have a custom INI file which is stored as a second INI file in the main TrackerV3 folder and, optionally, it could be called at the same time as TrackerV3.EXE is called.

The syntax could be something like :

"C:\Program Files\TrackerV3\TrackerV3.exe" "" "C:\Program Files\TrackerV3\TrackerV3_preview.INI"

I have put the blue "" in the command above to act as a position holder because my experiments show that the first parameter TrackerV3 expects to recieve is a file name which it would go to when it launches. So using the blue "" makes the INI file reference into the second parameter.

This method would mean that if one has two INI files then whenever TrackerV3 is updated then there would be no need to update the TrackerV3 program file in a duplicate installation.

Just my two cents worth. :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I think this is a cool idea! I will think about it for a while.... What do other readers of the forum think of it??

think think think ... :D

RalphM

Start parameters for TV3

Post by RalphM »

Hi Donald
admin wrote:OK, I think this is a cool idea! I will think about it for a while.... What do other readers of the forum think of it??

think think think ... :D
I was just wondering, if you gave that idea enough thinkin'...

I guess I stated my appreciation for the idea in a couple of the other threads and would like to hear, how far away from the "top ten" it might be by now...

Thanks
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Start parameters for TV3

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:I was just wondering, if you gave that idea enough thinkin'...
:D I've been waiting to see how the find files templates went down. You, Ralph, were the only one that showed a reaction -- so I assume everybody is happy. So the "idea" is within the top ten by now...

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Hi Donald
admin wrote: I've been waiting to see how the find files templates went down. You, Ralph, were the only one that showed a reaction -- so I assume everybody is happy. So the "idea" is within the top ten by now...
I've been a bit lazy with my posts in the past weeks.
But nevertheless I'm still looking forward to TrackerV3 accepting a couple of other start parameters, as my suggested "quick find".
Checked out the one to set the .ini to be used and it works fine. I was just wondering, why you have to state it that way, wouldn't it be easier (and maybe more common) to state it like "...TrackerV3.exe /i myini /f /p c:\daten /t F-D"
Switches in this example:
/i xxx = Set another than the standard ini file to be used (as already implemented) with xxx being the name of the ini file in startup directory
/f = automatically start search on program startup and display results
/p xxx = Set another selected path, with xxx being the name of it
/t xxx = Set the tab to be selected, with xxx being an identifier for the tab, here "F" for "Find Files" and "D" for "Date"

The usage of different .ini files is a great way to meet significantly varying customization needs, but if you want to use mostly the same settings in all your .ini's it might be easier to change the look and behaviour with start parameters.

What do other users think of that approach??

Thanks
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

RalphM wrote:What do other users think of that approach??
Is there really nobody out there interested in this post?!?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:Is there really nobody out there interested in this post?!?
Patience... users can be slow sometimes... :wink:

BTW, did the network get any faster?