Audio "Mouse Down Blowup"

Features wanted...
ThomasHelzle

Audio "Mouse Down Blowup"

Post by ThomasHelzle »

Hey,

Mouse down blowup is one of my most used features and I love it.
Now I also work with a lot of audio and always wanted to have something in my file browser to preview audio as direct as that.
Today I wondered: Wouldn't it be cool to preview audio like images by simply click-and-hold on the file icon with the left mouse button, just like with images?
This way one could go through audio files quickly and directly without opening the preview pane and it would end playing as soon as I let the mouse go, not play on until the file ends.
For more extensive previews I use Resonic Pro, but for quickly checking a certain file, XY would be more direct.

Thanks and cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Mastodon

admin
Site Admin

Re: Audio "Mouse Down Blowup"

Post by admin »

Wow, sometimes somebody else has to lift your deepest wishes into awareness. This is revolution stuff! And, well, I played with it a bit and it seems to work nicely! :biggrin:

Looks like we got a new killer feature here. :beer: :tup:

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle »

admin wrote:Wow, sometimes somebody else has to lift your deepest wishes into awareness. This is revolution stuff! And, well, I played with it a bit and it seems to work nicely! :biggrin:
Looks like we got a new killer feature here. :beer: :tup:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Fantastic!!!
Thank you very much for looking into it! :D

I just found out that XY even plays back multichannel 5.1 FLAC on my surround system (which is the default audio device on windows 8.1 x64 here, using a Focusrite 18i20 and VB Audio ASIO Bridge to make multichannel ASIO available as Windows Sound Device). Strangely, a 5.1 WAV did not play back with a "can't decode" warning. I guess that depends on installed codecs somehow? What does XY use for playback?

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. could also be interesting to extend this to video playback... :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XY uses quartz.dll for playback. Yes, the right codecs will help.

I sure knew that the wish for video would be around the corner. And it will come, but a bit later.

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle »

admin wrote:XY uses quartz.dll for playback. Yes, the right codecs will help.

I sure knew that the wish for video would be around the corner. And it will come, but a bit later.
Ok, will have to investigate what codec is needed then. I thought Windows could deal with multichannel wav out of the box.

Hehehe - audio is much closer to my heart for this feature, so video is more like an added bonus - no pressure there :kidding: :wink:

Cheers,

Tom

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Great new feature, yes, killer indeed! I would like to suggest an enhancement to this... "Fade in" ... when I MDBU'd a file, the audio preview started very abruptly and scared me almost as much as my cat :)

Could you consider adding a tickbox "Fade in" so the audio takes maybe a second or two to get to 100% volume?

Thanks!

Jeff

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) Seriously? (I don't think I want to do that, sorry)

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle »

Yeah, different levels can be an issue, but I personally would not want a fade in that isn't in the file when looking at samples, so it would need to be optional.

Related question: ATM Resonic is one of the very few audio players that supports single-cycle audio files (which are commonly used as oscillator waveforms and wavetables in synths) by smoothly looping such short files without introducing crackles etc. These are usually between 256 and 2048 samples long and create for instance a sine wave (and of course more interesting basic timbres taken from real instruments or generated algorithmic).
Is hickup-less looping of such short waves something that can be done with the quartz.dll?

Example files:
http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wavefor ... waveforms/

Cheers,

Tom

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dunno. As this is quite a different topic you should open a separate thread for it here under Wishes. ;)

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle »

admin wrote:Dunno. As this is quite a different topic you should open a separate thread for it here under Wishes. ;)
Ok :oops:

highend

Post by highend »

It would get really interesting, when (after mouse down) a left/right movement mouse movement would allow to move (fast forward/backward)
through a audio/video file :)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:It would get really interesting, when (after mouse down) a left/right movement mouse movement would allow to move (fast forward/backward)
through a audio/video file :)
Ha, actually I coded that already, and it works. But I decided against it because without an interface it is rather unsatisfying ("Where am I???"), and I don't want an interface here.

highend

Post by highend »

But a transparent progress box (anywhere between 50-80%) under the current cursor position wouldn't harm so much, would it?
And this "interface" could only be displayed when the mouse get's moved left/right while still holding down the left button)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle »

Well, one could get fancy and show the full waveform in real MDBU fashion and allow to move through it then, but that sounds like a bigger thing...

Cheers,

Tom

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@highend: Not convinced ATM, you got more ideas? :)