Audio "Mouse Down Blowup"

Features wanted...
FluxTorpedoe

Re: Audio "Mouse Down Blowup"

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’

Reading the following news:
admin wrote: 24 Sep 2019 09:25 […] at CEDEC 2019 they discovered some interesting XYplorer features for audio file management: https://gamebiz.jp/?p=248769
gave me the incentive to resurrect the current thread! :whistle:
BTW, it was great to see XYplorer and Reaper in the same sentence! They share a lot (but that’s another topic entirely)…
———————————————————————————

So, back to the topic: XYplorer is indeed extremely useful and powerful as an audio/musical file manager, thanks in part to its audio previewing functionality, and especially via left and right-click MDBU (or Quick Audio Preview as you called it here).

Yet, using this function a lot (also for midi "scores"), I keep experiencing some quibbles, which I post here since they’re all preview-related.
System: Win10, K-Lite codec pack.

1. Musical files are not QAPed (in statusbar) the same way as they are in the preview pane, not a problem per se, but:
   — 1A. Midi files are not QAPed at all, statusbar displays "playing failed:" —whereas they work when pane-previewed
   — 1B. some* QAPed MP3 files display wrong duration —but correct duration is displayed when pane-previewed
      * all joint-stereo files output by lame encoder, at least.
      Notes: The wrong durations (~1.8 the right durations) don’t seem to match any property whatsoever. This occurs with or without a codec pack. This can be avoided with K-Lite by forcing the use of LAV splitter (regardless of LAV decoder) and some force-resetting (took me a lot of trial and error to figure this out, I can detail if needs be).

2. Midi Type 1 files previewing is very long to start (perceivably): more than 2 sec (whereas Midi Type 0 files start previewing very quickly). By comparison on the same system, both types are previewed nearly instantly by MPC-HC, and less than 1 sec by WMP (both exhibit no difference between Midi Types).

3 (opt). MP3 files can manifest glitches ("knacksers"!) on start when using sound enhancers, but especially when LAV decoder is used (and those glitches do not occur with other players). Well, this point is definitely not a priority, since it doesn’t occur without sound enhancers.

4. Strong wish: Instant Right-Click MDBU preview whatever the pane (active or inactive).
   Currently, a simple (fast) Right-Click to MDBU an item in the inactive pane is "eaten" to activate the pane, whereas the same RC-MDBU works consistently in the active pane. (Although I’m aware that MDBU preview works in the inactive pane if the RC is held).

Well, those were not-so-glamorous matters, so thanks —a lot— for your attention! :)

Flux

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> Midi files are not QAPed
Will work in next beta. (Yeah!)

> some* QAPed MP3 files display wrong duration
Can you send me one or two?

> Midi Type 1 files previewing is very long to start
Can you send me one or two?

> MP3 files can manifest glitches ("knacksers"!)
Hmm, I don't think I can do anything here. (And it does not happen here.)

> Instant Right-Click MDBU preview whatever the pane
What, image preview? Does seem to work here. :?

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

>> Midi files are not QAPed
> Will work in next beta. (Yeah!)

Wow, that was a fast answer, thanks! :D

>> some* QAPed MP3 files display wrong duration
> Can you send me one or two?

Will send in PM (with more info).

>> Midi Type 1 files previewing is very long to start

Wowww… You can write that out!
While trying to choose "ideal" files to send you, I discovered that the (XYplorer + MidiType1) issue was only partially true: in the end, I could only replicate this with exports from (old) Cakewalk software, I was misled because I encountered it a regularly —because, well, I have a bunch of old backups…
But I tried each and every kind of Midi export from my current DAW (Reaper!), even from the imported problematic midi sources: each midi file previews flawlessly in XYplorer.
So just forget this point, not worth investigating (on my side, I’ll just find a way to batch convert those mids).

>> MP3 files can manifest glitches ("knacksers"!)
> Hmm, I don't think I can do anything here. (And it does not happen here.)

Well, let’s forget it, too reliant on system-specific settings. I just pointed it out since it might have been related to the way the audio-preview was started.

>> Instant Right-Click MDBU preview whatever the pane
> What, image preview? Does seem to work here.

I was still talking about audio but didn’t mention it because the behavior is the same with pictures.
Here I can reproduce it easily:
— fresh XYplorer, Configuration > Mouse Down Blow Up >
   — On right mouse down: Check
   — Stay up: Check

With these settings, a simple —as in fast, not held— right-click on an item in the inactive pane will only activate the pane, not the MDBU (be it the picture popping up or the audio being previewed). Note: personally I use the QAP on file icons in the list/details, but the "Enable blow up on file icons as well" makes no difference to this issue.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’

And first and foremost, thanks for your attention and dedication! :appl:
Well, I post here since attachments (>250kb) weren’t accepted in PM.

>> some* QAPed MP3 files display wrong duration

Here are two files, which manifest two weird behaviors, including a new one I just discovered:

TLDR; the wrong durations of VBR MP3 seem (somehow) related to the bitrate used by lame encoder!
Important reminder: the "wrong duration" issue does not occur with LAV splitter activated.

1. (mid2mp3) RealDur20s - PaneDur20sec - QAPDur26s.mp3
   Midi from here imported in Reaper and exported via Lame library to MP3 VBR, with Q=0, quality=90.
   » Pane preview duration is correct (as with hundreds of similar files I’ve exported)
   » QAP duration is incorrect (also consistent with hundreds of similar files I’ve exported the same way)
   Note: behavior not linked to lame version (it’s been like this for a few years).

2. (mp32mp3) RealDur38s - PaneDur1.17s - QAPDur1.17s.mp3
   MP3 from here exported via… XYplorer script, using different Lame exe+library to MP3 VBR, Q=0, V=0.
   And now, that’s new to me, Pane and QAP durations match but are both incorrect!!!
   » Pane and QAP duration: 1.17sec, instead of 38sec
   Note:
      — The original and export files are 24Khz and not 44.1 (but that may not be relevant)
      — New discovery: the wrong durations change drastically depending on lame quality setting!
         Both durations V0 (highest): 1.17sec; V3: 56sec; V6: 50sec; V8 (lowest): 39sec

I’m trying not-so-successfully not to burden you with too much info… But don’t hesitate if you need more data!
Attachments
MP3 wrong durations.zip
(1006.57 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the files. Expecially for naming them in a perfect way for easy debugging! :tup:

MP3 durations: I'll upload a new beta in a minute. It's a tricky business to determine the length of MP3 files, one would not believe it, but MP3 is still a growing format, work in progress, and that for many years. The result is complexity to put it politely.

Right-Click MDBU: I'll check this later...

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Wow!

:appl: + :appl: + :appl:

> Midi files are not QAPed
   Done/Fixed!

> some* QAPed MP3 files display wrong duration
   Done/Fixed!

> Midi Type 1 files previewing is very long to start
   Done/Fixed!

+++ Best of all:
   Midi preview —of all types— is now nearly instantaneous, terrific!!! :biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool! :biggrin:

Instant Right-Click MDBU preview will work in next beta. :cup:

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Not that I had any doubt, but you nailed it! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Code: Select all

v20.40.0020 - 2019-09-29 19:39
    * Mouse Down Blow Up: Right-Click MDBU preview (staying up) (incl. Quick 
      Audio Preview) will now come up instantly on the inactive pane[…]
It might seem benign, but this is HUGE!!!
(I should have asked earlier… ;) )

All of this, AFAIK, makes XYplorer the fastest previewing tool for audio, midi and pictures!!!
Especially thanks to the following settings that I encourage everyone to try out.

• UNIVERSAL INSTANT PREVIEW of your pictures and music by right-clicking on their icon:

Code: Select all

Menu Tools > Configuration… > Mouse Down Blow Up
   On right mouse down ✔
      Stay up ✔
   Enable blow ups on file icon as well ✔
   Audio preview ✔
* Universal = whatever the view (list, details, icons, tiles…) so no questions asked, it always works.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

cough cough… :ghost:
I was too pleased by the instant preview, I missed a teeny tiny last glitch regarding the tricky business of MP3 durations: the total durations are all correct, but the counters that display the current time position (in QAP and PanePreview) go much slower than they should… :oops:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I see that here too. This is the good news. But then: I'm on it for some hours now . Let's say it's *interesting*... :cup: :cup: :cup:

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Well, I didn’t know MP3 had such complex innards (if I may say)!
So here’s another :cup: for you…

I spent some time using the latest beta to get a better feeling of this duration conundrum’s state.
The fact that there’s an offset when positioning the play head isn’t that bothering by itself.
However, when the play head reaches the graphical end of its progress bar, it makes the audio stop abruptly before it’s finished.

And it can happen quite often :oops: so, unfortunately, it feels like an unexpected :bug:

OTOH, the more I use the instant preview (inc. midi), the more I confirm that it’s terrific! :appl: (What, I said that already!?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should be better in next beta. :beer:

Tough stuff, took me 2 days. There is a complex bug in DirectShow with MP3, a bug that has different non-linear states that I had to compensate. It looks okay now for most files. I still have some weirdos here but I'd say they are just corrupt.

BTW, do you know any reliable online or offline tool that tells me the "truth" about an MP3 file (length, bitrate, bit depth, sample rate)?

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

> BTW, do you know any reliable online or offline tool that tells me the "truth" about an MP3 file (length, bitrate, bit depth, sample rate)?

Well, not sure how reliable they are (and you certainly know the last two), here it goes:
mp3guessenc: the smallest footprint for the more info —it’s a console exe (32 bit) but I guess you don’t mind ;)
— MediaInfo: comes with K-Lite Standard, quite useful with its access via RC on file straight from XYplorer
— MP3 diags: cumbersome, but can also fix some specific issues (haven’t used it in a while though)

Good luck with your hard work! :beer: :beer: :beer:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks!

BTW, the latest beta v20.40.0025 should fix your recent issues. Doesn't it?

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Cool! I just tested the new beta… Here’s the definitely positive verdict in less-than-a-few-words:

:tup:

:appl: :beer: :appl: