color filters for video codecs

Features wanted...
costanza

color filters for video codecs

Post by costanza »

I've found several topics that touch on this, but most of them are requests for previewing videos, and most of those are recommendations to install a codec pack like K-Lite. I'm not interested in previewing videos -- I'm after a way to assign color filters based on codec (i.e. MPEG2, H.264, HEVC, etc.).

I understand this would come with a performance hit since we'd have to query each file to get the data.

Perhaps this is possible with scripting? I'm not familiar with using scripts, but if it can be done this way I'm happy to learn.

If not, any chance we can get this in a future version?

highend

Re: color filters for video codecs

Post by highend »

The shell property "System.Video.Compression" (on my OS #303) gets the MF_MT_SUBTYPE attribute of a file (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... px#encoded + following)

So you could define color filters by property. I did not test it if all codecs are supported / detected!

E.g.:

Code: Select all

prop:#303:{30395056*
prop:#303:{34363248*
prop:#303:{5634504D*
etc.
To find the correct #<ID> you could use e.g. viewtopic.php?p=113138#p113138
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

costanza

Post by costanza »

highend wrote:The shell property "System.Video.Compression" (on my OS #303) gets the MF_MT_SUBTYPE attribute of a file (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... px#encoded + following)
Thanks Highend, for your help and for that great script!

Unfortunately, the script doesn't return anything useful when I run it on a H.264 MKV file.

Can you tell me where you're seeing the property number #303? My property numbers end at #286.

I fear this is because I'm using Win 7 Pro -- are you seeing #303 on a later version of Windows?

(I've looked at all 286 of them and none have anything to do with video or codecs.)

highend

Post by highend »

This system is a Windows Server 10 one. Win 7 has
a.) Less known properties and unfortunately
b.) It supports less filetypes (e.g. .mkv)

Btw, it works e.g. for avi files and the id is #280 ("Video compression")

So you have to wait for Don to implement "something"...

Without color coding you could use a custom column
and tag your files or read it from each one on the fly (slower of course)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

costanza

Post by costanza »

highend wrote:This system is a Windows Server 10 one. Win 7 has
a.) Less known properties and unfortunately
b.) It supports less filetypes (e.g. .mkv)

So you have to wait for Don to implement "something"...
I was afraid of that. I considered using tags before I posted here, but I'm reluctant for a couple reasons:

1. These video files live on a shared network drive, so for tags to be useful, identical instances of XYplorer would have to be maintained on every machine on the network. (I might be able to force each instance of XYplorer to share a single network-based folder, but then those instances would break when disconnected from the network.)

2. Increased risk of human error (i.e. forgetting to tag a file).

Given that your method works for Windows 10, I imagine it's unlikely Don would bother with adding this functionality. I can only hope.