Self update

Features wanted...
Patrick Schönbach

Self update

Post by Patrick Schönbach »

Hello,

could we please get the self update functionality also for the update check at application startup? At this point, there is still the old update dialog.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Self update

Post by admin »

Not sure. I personally would find this quite annoying. What do others think? You would get a popup on every startup until you finally opt to upgrade...

Patrick Schönbach

How about a kind of dismissal option until the next version?

Patrick Schönbach

Maybe even implicitely when you decline to update.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That would be a possibility. I'll think about it.

pleiades

Post by pleiades »

i think this should be optional because it will disturb the user, and as a file manager it should not change too often

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Not sure. I personally would find this quite annoying. What do others think? You would get a popup on every startup until you finally opt to upgrade...
As someone who rarely relaunches XY -- only when updating, frozen, restarting the machine -- I would prefer for XY to both periodically poll for updates and also prompt me if one is available next time I launch it. Then, if I dismiss a prompt within the current session, XY would not prompt again until the next restart.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Anthraquinone

Post by Anthraquinone »

As someone who rarely relaunches XY -- only when updating, frozen, restarting the machine -- I would prefer for XY to both periodically poll for updates and also prompt me if one is available next time I launch it. Then, if I dismiss a prompt within the current session, XY would not prompt again until the next restart.
This is a good idea but at the same time I would like a link to the Waht's New web page so I could see what I was getting before I install

AQ

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Anthraquinone wrote:This is a good idea but at the same time I would like a link to the Waht's New web page so I could see what I was getting before I install
I created a substantial thread about this a while back -- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7201 -- and it was proposed that the changes in a given release are displayed in a text window of the pop-up to save needing to go anywhere.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build