Show deletion type on custom delete prompt

Features wanted...
ksarnelli

Show deletion type on custom delete prompt

Post by ksarnelli »

The native Windows delete confirmation shows a different message depending on whether the files are being sent the the recycle bin or being permanently deleted. Can the custom XY prompt incorporate this? Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Show deletion type on custom delete prompt

Post by admin »

I would if I could. But there is no clear way to decide what kind of delete will happen.

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

admin wrote:I would if I could. But there is no clear way to decide what kind of delete will happen.
So I'm not sure if there is a method in the Windows API that let's you get the recycle bin status for a particular folder, but if there is maybe someone could chime in as that would be easiest :) .

Assuming there isn't a method in the API, I was able to come up with a list of a few things to check:

- If shift-delete then it will always bypass the recycle bin.
- If [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]\NoRecycleFiles = 1 then the recycle bin is disabled globally.
- [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\Volume] contains a list a GUIDs (some for predefined locations and some for drives). Each key contains a DWORD called NukeOnDelete, which if set to 1 bypasses the recycle bin for that location/drive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is one more:
- Items longer than 259 characters never go to the recycler.