Feedback- needs touchscreen and high DPI support

Features wanted...
spinedoc777

Feedback- needs touchscreen and high DPI support

Post by spinedoc777 »

I'm enjoying the program but I don't think I'll be purchasing and am posting my feedback for possible consideration. I've used the program on my surface pro 4 and at work on a 4k monitor and have issues with either. On these the scaling is much too small and hard on the eyes.

The main thing I found missing was support for touchscreens, in comparison to the stock windows 10 file explorer. Of course the very small scaling is very bad for touch, compare this to the windows 10 ribbon. Touch functions do not work well, for example in win10 you can scroll anywhere in the window. In XY I cannot scroll by touching inside a window, I have to touch the narrow scrollbar on the side, made that much more difficult by the small scaling.

The spacing on XY seems to be quite compressed as well, although maybe it's due to the scaling. It just makes everything more difficult to touch, and even difficult when using a mouse. My first picture below is seeing them side by side.

Also XY really needs to have the tree view in both panes in dual pane mode, it's just more intuitive. My 2nd picture is a comparison of how I use dual panes. I simply have 2 win10 file explorers open, snapped to each side.

You have an awesome program and I hope you would consider some of these suggestions.
Attachments
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (4).png (463.87 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (489.25 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Feedback- needs touchscreen and high DPI support

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

Did you know that you can increase the font size by Ctrl+MouseWheel? (If that's not possible on a your tablet you can do it in Configuration | Fonts)

Touch support: It's on my list.

Don

spinedoc777

Post by spinedoc777 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I did play around with the font sizes but since the scaling and spacing are off it kind of makes a mess out of things if I increase the font. I'll play around with it a bit more.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure what you mean by "the scaling and spacing are off". On your screenshot it looks okay IMO. If you mean the column widths simply double-click the "#" column header on the leftmost column and all column widths are optimized.

spinedoc777

Post by spinedoc777 »

admin wrote:Not sure what you mean by "the scaling and spacing are off". On your screenshot it looks okay IMO. If you mean the column widths simply double-click the "#" column header on the leftmost column and all column widths are optimized.
The scaling and spacing is too small. If you look at the first picture comparing file explorer with XY you can see how much better the spacing and scaling are. It's a bit tough to use it that way with a mouse and hard on the eyes, but it's that much harder to use it with a touchscreen. You can see how much more space, for example between lines, that file explorer has. That's in addition to the tiny buttons/icons/menu items.

Is the program designed to scale with windows 10? I'm not a developer so am not sure what I'm asking, but I know there are legacy programs which don't scale well but have been updated and windows 10 handles the scaling, and they look great.

spinedoc777

Post by spinedoc777 »

By the way, I'm not sure why my pictures were blown up so much by the forum. But if you could actually see them on my surface pro 4 screen you would see just how difficult it is to use some things.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Line spacing in Tree and List is adjustable as well: Ctrl+Shift+MouseWheel.

I will check if I can make it more adaptive to general DPI scaling...

spinedoc777

Post by spinedoc777 »

admin wrote:Line spacing in Tree and List is adjustable as well: Ctrl+Shift+MouseWheel.

I will check if I can make it more adaptive to general DPI scaling...
Oh awesome, I will check it out, thanks!

spinedoc777

Post by spinedoc777 »

Line spacing helped out a LOT!!! Thanks again. Now I'm back to playing around with it. My next adventure is seeing how configurable the icons/top bar are.

Webhamster

Post by Webhamster »

I am trying XYplorer. Looks great.

At least, it looks great on 1 screen and tiny, microtiny on my other screen. They each have different DPI settings.

Is there a way to get a normal size? I know I can use ctrl+mouse wheel, but that only scales the content, not the menu items etc.

Does XYplorer check the DPI on first startup and never adjust it afterwards?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This should normally just work. ;)

You might try to open XY using a shortcut (*.LNK) and play with the settings on the shortcut's Compatibility tab (right-click the shortcut /Properties / Compatibility.