Would love an SVG preview option

Post by clarkedesign »

as stated: Would love an SVG preview option in the thumbnails view
Thanks,
Sean Clarke

semicodin

Re: Would love an SVG preview option

Post by semicodin »

There are actually a few free file managers (which I will not mention here :maf: ) that render SVG thumbnails/previews using CADSoftTools Free Plugin. A watermark displays over the thumbnail but it is relatively benign. Most users working extensively in vector graphics (such as myself) use such enabled file managers to quickly select the image . . . and then open it in Inkscape, Draw, Illustrator etc. to do the actual editing. It is curious that XY doesn't have SVG facility given how advanced the file manager is in every other way . . .

Yes, I second the wish.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you have a 32-bit thumbnail handler there shouldn't be a problem.

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

admin wrote:If you have a 32-bit thumbnail handler there shouldn't be a problem.
I'm not certain what you're suggesting because the comment is too ubiquitous. If you're implying that I should see SVG thumbnails in XYplorer — merely because I have "a 32-bit thumbnail handler" — then I can correct your impression: SVG doesn't display in XYplorer. Working with graphics as much as I do I have numerous thumbnail programs from the Commercial (Thumbs+) to the Tiny-and-Free (Tablacus). So far there is only one file manager that has implemented CADSoftTools Free Plugin and it uh . . . :maf: isn't XYplorer.

highend

Post by highend »

E.g. install the 32bit version from https://svgextension.codeplex.com/releases/view/118790
-> .svg thumbnails in XYplorer...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

clarkedesign

Post by clarkedesign »

I have a great solution outside of XYplorer - https://svgextension.codeplex.com/releases/view/118790
Works great inside WIndows Explorer.

But this doesn't work inside of XYplorer.

Be great to get the two working together or to just have native support for SVG inside of XYplorer by default.
Thanks,
Sean Clarke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, as highend said before: install the *32bit version* of it...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

semicodin wrote:
admin wrote:If you have a 32-bit thumbnail handler there shouldn't be a problem.
I'm not certain what you're suggesting because the comment is too ubiquitous. ...
Sorry, I meant to write "a 32-bit thumbnail handler for SVG".

Here is an app that helps you find out what thumbnail handlers you have: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=shellhexview

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

semicodin wrote:I'm not certain what you're suggesting because the comment is too ubiquitous. ...
Sorry, I meant to write "a 32-bit thumbnail handler for SVG". Here is an app that helps you find out what thumbnail handlers you have: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=shellhexview
Ahhh. Nir Sofer! :appl: He joins Sysinternals, Dependency Walker, and a select few other forensics utilities I rely on daily. You get as old as I am and you have Last Activity & Recent Files launch at startup just to remember what you were working on last.
highend wrote:e.g. install the 32bit version from svgextension.codeplex.com/releases/view/118790 -> .svg thumbnails
It may install on Vista-or-Newer but it won't install on XP Professional. I get a RegSvr32 Error (and apparently I'm not the only one).
clarkedesign wrote:Be great to . . . have native support for SVG inside of XYplorer by default.
I'd buy an XYplorer license if it could handle SVG vector images natively (without watermarks), but we can't criticize XYplorer which is, after all, a file manager. Every graphic-like image — ani, ico, swf, flv, ps, raster & vector — is coded in HEX. It is extremely hard to render an SVG preview for the simple reason that SVG images aren't graphics (technically). Take a look at this little beauty:

Then download and open it in Notepad. :shock: That's right. The SVG format is written in text. Oh we classify SVGs as Vector images, but the best feature of the format (imho) is something SVG graphics aren't: resource hogs. The size of this Koi SVG is 0.1 MB. Using the same dimensions, export it as a PNG and you have a raster graphic 53 times its size — 5.3 MG. Enlarge any SVG prior to exporting it as a raster (eg. PNG) and you'll retain 100% of the sharpness, saturation, luminescence, etc. because the format is scalable. SVGs search faster, render faster, display faster, and lose almost all of the overhead that is the bloatware-curse of the HEX-compiled bitmap. This Koi graphic is 53 times the size of its SVG; now imagine the efficiencies you could get if it replaced a YouTube video!
FOGEY.gif
FOGEY.gif (2.44 KiB) Viewed 4658 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WOW, very impressive.

I installed that 32-bit shell extension on Win8.1, but it did not improve anything. No animation. :(

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

It's exquisite isn't it? I tell people that the difference between SVG and a raster graphic (such as PNG) is like the difference between an Edison E27 lightbulb you could fry an :om: on, and a Philips SlimStyle LED. I presume none of us are filthy rich? so a $10 Lightbulb is going to be a hard sell. But then comes Summer and that E27 is roasting you alive. The technology is advanced on an exponential scale, not unlike the staggering efficiencies of an SVG vector.

I have a lamp mounted on the wall directly behind-and-center to my headboard because I read at night, in bed, and often for hours. The first thing that attracted me to the Philips is just the lightbulb itself. It's not only cool to the touch, the design itself is massively totally cool. You can observe G.E. attempting to simulate the Philips design without violating its intellectual property copyright but trust me: one look at this in your local Home Depot and every other design looks . . . orthopedic. (well, I did say I work in graphics lol).

I brought one home in the middle of a heatwave a few years ago and screwed it into my headboard lamp for nighttime reading. Hours later I reached up into my lamp and the bulb was barely even warm! But it's not just that, the bulb turns itself off s l o w l y. After this experience I view incandescent lightbulbs as primarily a heat source. I'm working my way through the last of them which I screw in once the weather gets cold.
EDISON.png
EDISON.png (113.32 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Once Internet Explorer supports it it will automatically work in XY.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Once Internet Explorer supports it it will automatically work in XY.
I thought IE only came into play on previews, not thumbs?

Based on what I was seeing last night that should have came in IE9, but posts here mention XP so that won't help. Meanwhile, IE11 renders the above image without using a plugin but fails to animate it:
2016-08-24 064118.png
2016-08-24 064118.png (282.03 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Oddly, with SVG in Web Files, XY will preview it here with animation using Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0, but the fish swim erratically and backwards - no preview with SVG in Office files instead. I don't have a thumb handler for them installed so XY also shows no thumbs for it.

WE meanwhile provides no thumbnail or preview for the file - score one for XY! :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:Once Internet Explorer supports it it will automatically work in XY.
I thought IE only came into play on previews, not thumbs?
Uh, yes. I got confused by the topic title.

semicodin

Post by semicodin »

TheQwerty wrote:WE meanwhile provides no thumbnail or preview for the file - score one for XY!
I'm sorry: WE? stands for?