Searching, and other tasks that block actions... move to bg

Features wanted...
Acecool

Searching, and other tasks that block actions... move to bg

Post by Acecool »

There are certain tasks, as I'm finding more and more of them, that block any action from being taken.. ie you can't leave the tab or folder-sizes stop calculating ( although you did mention this may be resolved, I'll need to try the beta shortly ) and while folder-sizes are calculating you can't close other tabs or perform any other actions...

The same is true for searching, file contents or whatever... I accidentally aborted a contents search ( looking for a backdoor in an addon that just updated so it can be reported and the author barred from uploading if they don't remove it ) after a few minutes, and it doesn't pick up where it was canceled, by switching tabs...

Please move these tasks to a background thread so we can continue doing what we want... My suggestion is that, move these blocking tasks to a background system that will also notify us when they're complete ( if option enabled in settings ) via an optional icon on the menu-bar, status bar message, or whatever ( non-intrusive please )... because being locked out from doing anything while a search is on-going or while folder-sizes are being calculated is annoying and time consuming.

RalphM

Re: Searching, and other tasks that block actions... move to

Post by RalphM »

Easier said then done I guess, you might have to read up a bit more on XY's history and the language it is written in, because AFAIK there's no threading available within XY unless the jobs you're talking about are forwarded/delegated to a separate specific exe provided for that purpose (as it was done for background file operations with XYCopy.exe).
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)