Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 23 Jun 2016 23:00

I could as well make > not trigger a new list (since it can never match anything).

highend
Posts: 8376
Joined: 06 Feb 2011 00:33

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by highend » 23 Jun 2016 23:04

Mh, I think I'd need to try that to see if this solves the "problem"...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or highend (at) web (dot) de

eil
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Jan 2011 19:44

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by eil » 23 Jun 2016 23:43

congrats with new and as always fast working feature!
TheQwerty wrote:4) "Dbl-click the filter information bar in the list to remove the live filter quickly" might be nice if this were an option for regular VFs as well - I'd find it more useful than the Set VF dialog.
good point.
- When the LFB is shown and the focus is in the list (single pane), press
TAB to move the focus to the LFB.
this made me wish to have a tweak for focus transfer order, that allows to take some elements off. say i want by TAB to go Address bar > Catalog > Live filter(no Tree by TAB at all) = so tweak will look "acf". or one needs Tree > Live filter > Address Bar > Catalog = "tfac"

Filehero
Posts: 2299
Joined: 27 Feb 2012 18:50
Location: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by Filehero » 24 Jun 2016 00:33

Filehero wrote: PS: I'm still struggling a bit getting the "magic" of the/a live filter. Basically, it is "nothing else" but a search displayed in the current tab and which gets auto-updated after each char change of the search string, right?
highend wrote: Filter
admin wrote: Not a search, but a Visual Filter.

Code: Select all

v16.90.0310 - 2016-06-23 19:46
  +++ Live Filter Box: ......
      
      - ....Not a problem, after all a filter is nothing but a 
        non-recursive search.
Yes, life is full of surprises... :mrgreen:

Layout/positioning: I still want it to become a catalog-able item.

FH

binocular222
Posts: 1414
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 05:35
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by binocular222 » 24 Jun 2016 03:14

Something missing here:
- Press Enter does not return focus to List.
- Reset List ($486) does not clear the filter
- 500ms delay seems a bit slow
- get("#657") should return status of LFB
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 24 Jun 2016 08:16

binocular222 wrote:- get("#657") should return status of LFB
echo get("#675"); //works

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 24 Jun 2016 09:14

Thanks for the feedback. Next version will come with some changes.

BTW, the right-click on the LFB icon is reserved for future use. After all this topic is called "Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar". It's planned that you can select between various functionalities for this little box. Therefore we not should put too much weight on its position near or even within the list...

Marco
Posts: 2278
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by Marco » 24 Jun 2016 13:07

highend wrote:7.) Can you add a tweak:

LiveFilterBox_ShowResultsTime=0 <any value larger than 0>

0 = Only apply the filter when you hit return
>0 = Time in ms until the filter is automatically applied

Reason:
Type > to begin a regex filter and 500ms later: The list is empty
If you tried to apply a pattern for multiple files there is nothing to work with (in this case I'd set it to 0)...
I'd say:
-1 = Only apply the filter when you hit return
>=0 = Time in ms until the filter is automatically applied. 0 means instantly.

If you ever used Everything you know what I mean, and since XY proudly sports reactivity as one of its strengths I fail to see the need for a delay. User experience is very important here imho, having a delay feels like the application is slow and sluggish (which is not, in fact, quite the opposite).
admin wrote:I could as well make > not trigger a new list (since it can never match anything).
Sounds like a good solution for regexes. Everything has a separate checkbox for regexes or an inline selector: such selector isn't very "comfortable" imho, because it's a whole string (regex:) and changes the content of the list when typed (being "regex" an actual word). ">" can't do any of this.

Of course this applies only to filename matching.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 24 Jun 2016 14:11

Marco wrote:If you ever used Everything you know what I mean, and since XY proudly sports reactivity as one of its strengths I fail to see the need for a delay. User experience is very important here imho, having a delay feels like the application is slow and sluggish (which is not, in fact, quite the opposite).
Hmmm.... okay, why not! I think you are right. Speed is king. :tup:

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 24 Jun 2016 15:38

highend wrote:6.) An option that typing while a list has focus activates the LFB automatically. Imho this can be a total replacement to the type ahead feature...
A little extreme for phase 1. But a nice idea for later.

Marco
Posts: 2278
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by Marco » 29 Jun 2016 13:23

admin wrote:Hmmm.... okay, why not! I think you are right. Speed is king. :tup:
So far so good. It feels definitely snappier with no delay! I wonder if you can squeeze some more speed from your code: with longer lists (1500+ items on my config) entering one character as filter doesn't feel as reactive as Everything, which handles 100x more items, Subsequent characters, working on a smaller list, are basically instant. Be aware, I guess I'm talking about hundreths of second... However I'm still curious if maybe there's something you can do.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 30 Jun 2016 15:46

The current architecture allows no further speed ups.

Marco
Posts: 2278
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by Marco » 30 Jun 2016 23:20

Gotcha :tup:
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Filehero
Posts: 2299
Joined: 27 Feb 2012 18:50
Location: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by Filehero » 03 Jul 2016 17:58

The LF is cool, especiall <esc>aped <tab>ing. :appl:

However, I think the logic is to greedy. With a list like

Code: Select all

backup__full_b20_s1_v1.txt
backup__inc_b19_s2_v1.txt
backup__full_b19_s1_v1.txt
7z_backup.bat
7z_restore.bat
backup-7z_27.06.2016.7z
backup-7z_20.06.2016.7z
entering

Code: Select all

*.
makes the entries completely disappear, which is sort of useless, isn't it.

Naturally I would have expected the 7z-files to stay listed with the following phrases.

Code: Select all

*.
*.7
*.7z


Why is the filtering different from TAF? Or is it a bug related to the dot?

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47977
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Live Filter for List & Quick Search Bar

Post by admin » 03 Jul 2016 18:33

LFB works exactly like Visual Filter, which is not 100% the same as TAF.
Filehero wrote:Naturally I would have expected the 7z-files to stay listed with the following phrases.

Code: Select all

*.
*.7
*.7z
I see your point, but I'm not sure if making a special case here for the dot would be a good idea.

You might get what you need by just typing this instead:

Code: Select all

7z

Post Reply