Hide File Extension in Detail-View Only

Features wanted...
dahen

Hide File Extension in Detail-View Only

Post by dahen »

Via [Tools > Customize List > Hide Extension] you can hide the file extension in the file list. It's a great feature, if you display the extension in an extra column in the Detail-View. Which I mostly use.

But often I also use the thumbnail view to better search for images. But in this view, I really miss the file extensions. Beside the Detail-View all other views display just the filename and no other columns. Therefore I have no file extension in these views. But it's bad, because, for example, if you have a folder with *.psd and *.jpg files you can't distinguish between the file types until you click at one and then the file type is only displayed in the status bar. Both have thumbnails.

Feature Request:

Please add another option under "Customize List" => Hide Extension in Detail-View Only

So the extensions will ONLY be hide in both detail-views (details & details with thumbnails). In all other views the extension should be displayed.

THX
-Daniel :wink:

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hide File Extension in Detail-View Only

Post by admin »

I personally never hide extensions, so what you wish goes somewhat into my direction. I wonder if it would makes sense just to do this for the current function: make it apply only to Details view. Any opinions out there from the extension hider crowd?

dahen

Post by dahen »

Ok - fine. You can make it as standard for this function. For me it's fine too. Usually outside XYplorer I never hide the extensions too. But since a while, I like it more and more to display the extension in the second column in the detail-view.

For some projects I use long describing filenames and without the file ext. you have a much better overview and it looks much cleaner. And due to the auto column resize in XY the extension is always as close to the filename as possbile. Fantastic :appl:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The crowd keeps silent? Maybe there is no crowd? Well, I just do it then.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

If you don't normally have extensions hidden and you use Detailed View, it's a welcomed option to have a choice to have extensions hidden or not in these views since you can have a separate column showing extensions. :tup:
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

dahen

Post by dahen »

:appl: many thx for the quick implementation :tup:

Solid Ex

Post by Solid Ex »

Extremely disappointed by this.

Why force this on users? This can and should be an easy implementation of a toggle setting, hide extensions yes or no. I hate when programs tell ME what to do. How odd.

This decision makes no sense to me and clearly is a preference that should be decided by the end user. What prompted this as an urgent "must take this choice away from user" change?

I hate this and am very unhappy by this decision. Very poor taste. That's like forcing a color scheme on a user. Or a random keyboard shortcut being taken away or forced. I mean, think about it.

Now, for whatever reason, we all MUST see extensions in XYplorer list views? Forever? No thanks. Windows Explorer has this feature, XY takes it away from users. Wrong direction. Just wrong. Please, PLEASE reconsider making this a CHOICE. I cannot believe for a second that someone woke up one day and thought

"Hmm, let's see. Extensions are a personal choice. OH MY, OH MY WORD. THESE must be removed ASAP from list view!!! GOODNESS this is horrible what have I DONE? QUICK! SHOW ALL EXTENSIONS!!! Must......show......extensions.....in list....always....." :)))

My two cents.

What an odd thing to FORCE on users after all these years. I'm 10000000% convinced people will disagree with me and that's the point.

IT IS PERSONAL preference. A choice.

You decided for us.

Please make this a toggle setting. Hope this post actually makes it to the forum this time.

Solid Ex

Post by Solid Ex »

1) this change is in poor taste and forces the user to submit to the preferences of the some, rather than individuals. this is a bad move.
2) i have downgraded back to XYplorer.16.50.0200 and will stay on it until this option is put back into the program.
3) it remains clear that posts are not being approved by moderators if they are not glowing and that is also quite poor
4) sad sad times for xyplorer
5) i will truly be amazed if this post actually gets posted to the forum because of the lack of glowing praise

what version of xyplorer can i expect this simple, mundane setting to be put back in? do i have to use windows explorer just to hide extensions in list view? pity.

Solid Ex

Post by Solid Ex »

Please change this back.

I do not want to see extensions in list view. Thank you for giving us a choice, a toggle, a something. :)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Solid Ex wrote: Hope this post actually makes it to the forum this time.
Sorry - seems the other volunterr moderators aren't keeping an close eye on approval queue and I've been spending much less time here in last few months.

This morning, there were pending posts from 3 days ago awaiting moderator action...and I know I'd not been here during that time or I'd have looked at them....you had 3 in queue which I ok'd now.

It's unfortunate that good posts get hung up that way but we have to try and keep spam out so that's why it's being done.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

As I had mentioned above, I didn't have any problems with this change since I do not hide file extensions. For those that do, maybe the fix (or tweak) has to be a choice; Hide all extensions as you originally had, or Hide extension in Detail-View only...based on comments received in the other thread here. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15282
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I changed it because I think it's better like this. No plans to revert this decision. End of discussion.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

admin wrote:No plans to revert this decision. End of discussion.
Wow :roll:

Citation from the webpage:
"Your customer voice is listened to and taken seriously ..."

Sorry Don, this really doesn't sound very customer friendly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) Yes, the way I put this may sound a bit unfriendly. But it's experience. I'm running this forum for 12 years now. You learn where things are going and how to make yourself understood. Some users need clearer words than others.

And, listening to customers does not mean to follow their orders. You will eventually see my point when you happen to agree with one of my decisions... :)

Solid Ex

Post by Solid Ex »

admin wrote:I changed it because I think it's better like this. No plans to revert this decision. End of discussion.
Quite possibly the best example of why non-free, closed source software is never a good idea. One person decides for everyone. The software (or Don, in this case) controls you. Does anyone actually agree that this way of thinking is truly the best way to be?

It's sad to see the developer tell the users what's best for them, and such an odd thing to nitpick: file extensions. I wonder what the next setting or option will be heavy-handedly taken away because "Don likes it this way".

What if he forces a color scheme on us? How about a font size? What about a limit to number of tabs that can be open? I mean, where does it end? Again, what an odd "setting" to take away from the users. It wasn't bothering anyone. I mean, besides Don. :) But then again, looking at the DEPTH of all the configuration options in this program, how hilarious is it that this ONE setting was just too much to bear any longer. It HAD to be removed. Oh brother. Control freak much?

Hey admin, your attitude is quite unprofessional but I'm sure plenty will jump to defend you. Good luck!