Cache Calculated Folder Sizes [feature added in 16.70+pro]

Features wanted...
neil9090

Cache Calculated Folder Sizes [feature added in 16.70+pro]

Post by neil9090 »

With Calculate Folder Size Switched on / Network Calculate also.

Is there a way to cache folder sizes for a user specified time.
I.e. some of my folders are deep with many files and can take a little time to calculate
My problem at the moment is when I navigate to G:\ the autorefresh happens as something is being noticed by XY, so within a second or two of XY trying to calculate the folder sizes, it refreshes and starts the process again bit of a loop which can usually be stopped by pressing ESC.

Also when you navigate to a sub folder and then return to the parent (back button etc), the folder size process starts again, which can be time consuming on a network.

Obviously anyone using this feature would need to be aware of stale information but if it speeds up the use of XY I don't see a problem.

Feature added in 16.70 :appl:
Last edited by neil9090 on 23 May 2016 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Cache Calculated Folder Sizes

Post by highend »

You can easily achieve this by using a custom column and a script...

The script to write the folder size of the current selected folder into the tag database (I'm using extra column 1 in this case):

Code: Select all

if (exists("<curitem>") == 2) {
        tagitems("ex1", foldersize("<curitem>", "<r>"));
        #195; // Save the tags database
        #485; // Refresh the list immediately to display the new size
    } else {
        status "No folder selected, no caching done...";
    }
And this is the definition of the custom column you have to add:
CC.png
CC.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Script:

return formatbytes(tagitems("ex1", , "<cc_item>"), "FLEX");
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

neil9090

Post by neil9090 »

Thanks highend, I was hoping that Don would be able to add the Cache into XY thus in the wish list, I found a similar script here back in 2014 after I had posted.
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... es#p133731

So will probably merge a bit of the your script and the other script.

Thanks for sharing another method, script worked as expected.

I already have a 80k (24mb) Tag file... working really well, although I think I would have to adapt your script as it takes a few seconds to save the settings/tags.

I think I will limit the folder size script based on path so not too many are stored automatically via a column script.

Would be nice if XY could do some sort of background/async script so the columns don't hold up the UI when doing slow processing jobs.

highend

Post by highend »

Would be nice if XY could do some sort of background/async script so the columns don't hold up the UI when doing slow processing jobs.
Yeah, that would be really a nice thing to have... but I'm waiting for threading since... *** a little bit of time *** :mrgreen:

highend

Post by highend »

I already have a 80k (24mb) Tag file... working really well, although I think I would have to adapt your script as it takes a few seconds to save the settings/tags.
We could probably speed that up a bit (by using a regexreplace and fileread / write). The interesting question is: How long does XY need to reload the tag database afterwards...

For example, on a 9 MB testfile, the reading, replacing a line and saving does take about ~280 msecs. * 3 (your 25mb+ file) =~ 1 second. Core I5, 3,2 GHz, SSD

Your "few seconds". How long does it take exactly?

Do me a favor and run this little script to see if reloading the db doesn't take too much time...

$start = now("msecs");
    #887;
    text (now("msecs") - $start) . " msecs";

neil9090

Post by neil9090 »

Reloading tag via your script;
some example times;
1014 msecs
905 msecs
952 msecs
967 msecs
1076 msecs

Filesize of tag is actually 36,051,808 bytes

Saving tagfile only; (#195;)
some example times
1529 msecs
1498 msecs
1451 msecs
1388 msecs
1560 msecs

Not using a SSD (would like to) 5400 HD, i7 2630 Laptop.. ~2 Ghz

highend

Post by highend »

Ok, the "a few seconds" are only 1,5 instead?

From your values: Nothing to optimize here...

neil9090

Post by neil9090 »

Feels longer, and I guess I was clicking the save setting (all) which might make it 2 seconds..

And my machine sometimes goes slow (my issues)!

With many folders being stored the size it adds to the ever growing tag file, but it doesn't seem to make a difference at the moment, if Don could get a cache setting in place instead of having to either use a column or tag field that would be good.

What would be nice is a new column trigger type Display and Click, i.e. show the last value stored aka folder size, but click the column and it would refresh if there was a trigger timeout to refresh after (10 minutes for example).

Obviously all would be solved with background threading of columns/scripts. Although using trigger type "list" might be a solution, but haven't used that much to see how well that works.