Set 'created date' to EXIF for CR2: ?

Features wanted...
SL09

Set 'created date' to EXIF for CR2: ?

Post by SL09 »

Set 'created date' to EXIF does work for .JPGs, but for CR2 (Canon 6D) there is no reaction ...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Set 'created date' to EXIF for CR2: ?

Post by admin »

Maybe the EXIF date cannot be retrieved?

Select the file and run this through the address bar:

Code: Select all

echo <dateexif>;
Do you see a date?

SL09

Post by SL09 »

> Do you see a date?
No, just an empty message box called "Echo".

> Maybe the EXIF date cannot be retrieved?
I suspected this.

'R'-attribute is not set
The files are from a Canon 6D, which incorporates geo-location data without an .xmp-sidecar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When XY does not show the data, e.g. on the Meta tab in the Info Panel (F12), then it cannot retrieve it.

Tip: The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/) will most probably solve the issue, but costs you 10 $. It will also bring you thumbnails and preview of those files.

SL09

Post by SL09 »

Tip: The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/) will most probably solve the issue, but costs you 10 $. It will also bring you thumbnails and preview of those files.
CameraCodecPack from Microsoft did the trick - and it's free ... {MicrosoftCameraCodecPack-x64.msi}
Thanks for the crahs course in using the Address bar - I had no idea

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info! :tup:

SL09

Re: Set 'created date' to EXIF for CR2: ? / show priview ?!

Post by SL09 »

Last time I bought a new camera (2 years ago - a long time ...), the .CR2 previews did not show anymore in the file viewer of XYplorer. Canon itself did not have a solution, but there was a Codec Pack from Microsoft available.
Now I bought a Canon EOS 6D Mark II - and the .CR2 do not show anymore. Nor do the special file functions work (set change date to EXIF, ...). Microsoft has exactly the same version as last time (Version 6.3.9721.0 22/04/2014), naturally without support for the 6D Mark II.

Canon - who really ought to do it, as they cause the inconvenience ! - did not and still has absolutely no intention to provide updated RAW routines/codec. Is there a way or is it planned to integrate the RAW-codecs into XYplorer ?
I would rather not spend extra money (e.g. on FastPictureViewer Codec Pack) if it is not sure this would work. Or: irfanView shows these bew .CR2 also. Are there any DLLs I maybe could copy to make the routines available systemwide - and so also in XYplorer ??

highend

Post by highend »

If you don't have a working codec that allows XY to display / set exif params your only chance is to use scripting (and external exif tools) to provide (nearly) identical features. Ofc this doesn't include previews, etc.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

SL09

Post by SL09 »

Setting timestamps can be done in ExifTool / ExifToolGUI (as I did, before I discovered I could do it also in XYplorer). The missing previews are more inconvenient, it was very nice to see them (and do all the work) in the File Manager I use everyday (XYplorer).

highend

Post by highend »

The missing previews are more inconvenient
Without a working 32-bit preview handler you won't get them...

SL09

Post by SL09 »

Obviously, I am not a programmer. I think, the preview handler is built into XYplorer ? the only thing it would need in addition is the info about the distribution of data in the .CR2 file (where is the EXIF block ? etc.) - for the 6D this info is obviously available.
What about FastPictureViewer Codec Pack ? does it make this info available systemwide, or only for the program itself ?

highend

Post by highend »

the preview handler is built into XYplorer
XY uses installed preview handlers / thumbnail handlers, etc..
does it make this info available systemwide
Systemwide if the application uses it. I don't own this camera and the
Canon EOS 6D Mark II is not on the list of supported ones for the
FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

Provide a raw picture (upload it somewhere and make it accessible) and
I'll try it...

SL09

Post by SL09 »

> Provide a raw picture (upload it somewhere and make it accessible) and I'll try it...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvCWnHRSWpkGaahTzYErFH-tVDc
(MS OneDrive)

6D mark II.CR2 "cannot decode" - same thing in Windows Explorer, where a 'CR2'-symbol is shown - and for OneDrive ...
6D.CR2 shows OK everywhere, in Windows Explorer and XYplorer. MicrosoftCameraCodecPack-x64.msi Version 6.3.9721.0 22/04/2014 is installed.

By the way, I run Win7 pro 64 bit - it seems Canon does provide no codec for Win 10 either.

highend

Post by highend »

The current version of FastPictureViewer Codec Pack works with the mark II, I get a preview, thumbnails, and exif data...

SL09

Post by SL09 »

> works with the mark II, I get a preview, thumbnails, and exif data...
i.e. systemwide, in Explorer and in XYPlorer ?
$ 10 is not so much, but I am a little bit / very much pissed off by Canon - in contrast to Nikon, they do not support their new formats, and they replied "sorry you have to change your working routines" ... :naughty: :evil: