feature request: Favorites Bar/Panel

Features wanted...
xyplorerköln

feature request: Favorites Bar/Panel

Post by xyplorerköln »

I would like to have a Favorites Bar or Panel, or some other way to persistently display the favorites, rather than having to click to open a menu first.

(Sometimes it's easier to keep track of what you're doing when you can see all your available options on-screen wtihout having to take action to display them.)

I recognize that this might already be possible with the existing software and I'm just missing it; if so, please point me in the right direction.

admin
Site Admin

Re: feature request: Favorites Bar/Panel

Post by admin »

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Thank you for the swift reply.

So, just so I'm sure I understand the recommendation: For a user like me, you would recommend using Catalog in lieu of the Favorites feature?

In other words, Favorites is sort of a "Catalog lite" and, rather than Favorites being developed into a deeper feature at some point, users with advanced needs are pointed to Catalog instead?

If so, my only suggestion would be: Since the functionality overlaps (at least conceptually to me), the average user might initially think the way I do, that Favorites is the feature they're seeking, and not quickly (on their own) jump to the Catalog.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, yes. Historically the Catalog developed out of a simple favorites panel. It might be the name "Catalog" that makes it a little unintuitive. Think of it as Favorites Panel then.

XY's menu based Favorites are an alternative way to have Favorites. The Catalog offers a command (right-click menu: Insert Category Here / Favorite Folders) to insert those Favorites into the Catalog.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Sounds good - thank you.

My suggestion would be that, at some point, maybe Catalog becomes the enforced feature and Favorites gets deprecated. This might save some time and confusion.

I understand the attraction of offering a quick-and-dirty "Favorites" feature for most users vs. a robust "Catalog" feature for power users, but the overlap just makes it confusing (at first) and a bit disconcerting.

xy_fan

Post by xy_fan »

Dear All,

Is it possible to convert this Catalog pane into a horizontal bar to put above the two folder/file panes in XY? I only need it as an assortment of one-click favorites and the best place for that would be above the panes.

Best regards,
xy_fan

highend

Post by highend »

It isn't
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

FWIW, it's been a longstanding wish of mine that the catalog be alternately accessible as a resizable non-modal popup window instead of taking up space in the main window, since my routine XY window is short in height. Consequently and unfortunately, I don't make any use of the Catalog, which is otherwise a great feature.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

murdock01

Post by murdock01 »

My suggestion would be that, at some point, maybe Catalog becomes the enforced feature and Favorites gets deprecated. This might save some time and confusion.

I understand the attraction of offering a quick-and-dirty "Favorites" feature for most users vs. a robust "Catalog" feature for power users, but the overlap just makes it confusing (at first) and a bit disconcerting.
Actually I disagree. Think of the catalog as the extra toolbar that lots of people wish was there.
I think both the fav menu and the catalog should be left alone. This allows people to choose how they want to manage their fav's; and choice is freedom. You will find that there is several ways to do the same thing in XY but that's the hallmark of a great program - customization to allow each to work as they want instead of making everyone fit a mold.

Also, the catalog is much more than a favorites panel even though if you use it for that then great. I use it as an app launcher, an area for custom menus, special filters storage, drag and execute locations, and more. In fact I have a bunch of catalogs, that I swap out via a keyboard shortcut, depending on what I am doing (working with pics or music, cleaning). I don't use the directory tree anymore. I don't use the menu bar that much either.
Trust me, you will discover how useful this little 'blank slate' is. I am always in favor of increasing the power of the catalog.

It would be interesting to see what it would be like to have the catalog as a horizontal element; the option to put it horizontally above, or maybe even below the lists. I dont think I would like a free floating window - it would get lost among my other windows, but it should be an option for people if they want it.

highend

Post by highend »

@murdock01

Exact same opinion here!
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

Nasri

Post by Nasri »

This catalog is a great help & Just to help others ..there is a youtube video for the catalog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJBNWQRly8
I came back to this forum after I forgot how to set up this setting after permanently having this setting activated in another laptop =p
admin wrote: 01 Jan 2016 20:51 Check out the Catalog.

http://www.xyplorer.com/features.php