Re: File copy/move - please display more information

Post by admin »

flyingrhino wrote:In the copy / move dialog please also show the following:

Total size to transfer
Total size already transferred
Transfer speed
Number of files to transfer
Number of files already transferred
Is planned. Will come naturally when I do my own copy/move routines as an alternative to the shell routines.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Just because - but I don't suppose you have an anticipated timescale for this do you Don?
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

lukescammell wrote:Just because - but I don't suppose you have an anticipated timescale for this do you Don?
Probably not, it's not even on the Roadmap.... :wink:
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Liquidmantis

Post by Liquidmantis »

I just installed SuperCopier a few days ago and I'm really impressed. It offers all that you want and more. It has a very small resource footprint as well.

[Edit]
Well, caveat emptor (it's free):
jacky wrote: I normally use SuperCopier to handle thoose operations, but it is quite buggy aswell unfortunately, and with it many cool XY features don't work (no select on paste, Copy Here As & other features don't work cause SC creates a folder with the supposed new filename, etc Confused)

So to answer another question asked somewhere else: even though there's some other features I know I'll love, like Catalog alias, etc, the feature I need/want the most in XY would be, for me, to have XY handle the move/copy operations itself; with a good, smart, fast handling, error report, etc

admin
Site Admin

Re: File copy/move - please display more information

Post by admin »

flyingrhino wrote:In the copy / move dialog please also show the following:

Total size to transfer
Total size already transferred
Transfer speed
Number of files to transfer
Number of files already transferred
This has been wished enough times now to make me think about it. :)

Would you (and all the others) still be happy if that progress window you describe would be modal?? Which means: you have to wait until the copy/move operation is finished before you can return to XYplorer.

surrender

Post by surrender »

I would not be happy if its modal. Particularly if I am copying a biig file which will make the whole thing painful.

BTW, is it possible to have a separate window (or a tab in IP) where all the copy/paste operations are shown. I mean something like a download manager, but I know thats too much to ask for (but its cool).

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

I would be happy even if it's modal & I have to wait. 8)

Sure, for large amount of data to move/copy, it'd be best if it wasn't the case, but I honestly would take this over the modeless Windows way we have now, which is slow & painful to work with.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will surely keep the old Shell way alive, i.e. how it is done now (slow and non-modal).

So, as an additional option a new "Fast Copy De Luxe" (fast, informative, modal) shouldn't harm. And if you have Vista, you will kiss my feet for this! :wink:

And: I'm only starting to think about it. Chances are that I find a way to make it non-modal too...

But first:
(1) GDI-usage-trimming
---- release 6.0 --------------
(2) scriptable hotkeys
(3) undo

Liquidmantis

Post by Liquidmantis »

I'm with surrender: I find modal behavior very annoying. But I'm finding out that SuperCopier isn't taking over for a lot of operations so I'd be happy with any sort of improvement.

Your comment about having Vista has me curious though as I find the Vista shell copy to be a marked improvement over pre-Vista functionality.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Liquidmantis wrote:Your comment about having Vista has me curious though as I find the Vista shell copy to be a marked improvement over pre-Vista functionality.
Only hearsay, but massive: "Vista's copy is slow". Not your experience?

Liquidmantis

Post by Liquidmantis »

Not so I've really noticed, no. Maybe I've been too happy with having the replace/leave/rename option on name collisions and skipping locked files rather than just breaking the copy operation to pay attention to copy times.

Honestly, I'd have to A/B with a stopwatch to see any copy time differences. I generally have switched to another task and background the copy anyway. Now if the copy operation was modal I'd be a lot more concerned about copy times. :wink:

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

admin wrote:I will surely keep the old Shell way alive, i.e. how it is done now (slow and non-modal).

So, as an additional option a new "Fast Copy De Luxe" (fast, informative, modal) shouldn't harm. And if you have Vista, you will kiss my feet for this! :wink:

And: I'm only starting to think about it. Chances are that I find a way to make it non-modal too...

But first:
(1) GDI-usage-trimming
---- release 6.0 --------------
(2) scriptable hotkeys
(3) undo
Sounds excellent - incidentally, I can't wait for undo/redo :)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)