CEA - Custom Event Actions

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: CAE_LocationChange, pleeeeease...

Post by admin »

User Defined Action, yes, I like it. :tup: (shouldn't there be a hyphen? User-Defined Action?)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 03 Dec 2020 16:29 (shouldn't there be a hyphen? User-Defined Action?)
I think, you're rather right than wrong. :mrgreen:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Yes, User-Defined Action would be great. Microsoft uses it with the hyphen in User-Defined Functions here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/re ... rver-ver15
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hearing User-defined Action I just think of a scipt. I think it misses that it's a reaction to something, or am I wrong?
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

autocart

Post by autocart »

For one thing, it should be plural, no matter of the final words.

Secondly, it is not easy. "User-Defined ..." something is at least good because there are already UDC. So, this fits together.

Building on the previous suggestions: Maybe User-Defined ... Event-(Re-)Actions? :kidding:

autocart

Post by autocart »

Filehero wrote: 03 Dec 2020 16:21 Though Reaction is semantically more correct, in the end all commands or actions are triggered by something and therefore share the same super category reaction.
Hence, I would call it User Defined Action, ...
Having thought about it a bit, with the same argument you could say that "action" is an even more generic term than "reaction" and everything falls into that super-super-category.

ATM I am at a point where I would say that "User-Defined Reactions" was a pretty good thought.
Still, in order to add some more ideas:

User-Defined Conditional Behavior
User-Defined Triggered Actions
User-Defined Inductions

or to leave it at
Custom Event Actions, why not?

And maybe change UDC to CC (Custom Commands)? :biggrin:
Actually, there are also Custom Columns. So, maybe this *does* make some sense?

P.S.:
The main point of the last thought process is:
Maybe it makes sense to use the same naming pattern for all customisation categories - either "Custom ..." or "User-Defined ...". I would vote for "Custom ..." because it is shorter.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I worked on a completely new interface, cute and infinitely extensible. Countless hours... :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: But it's a nice new control that will come in handy in other places as well.

I was so involved in the coding that the renaming of the feature got out of focus for me ATM, so I just left as it was before. Look at it and tell me it's alright. :)

Upload coming...

autocart

Post by autocart »

v21.30.0011 - 2020-12-04 17:21
    * Configuration | General | Custom Event Actions: Completely new interface. 
      It's not finished yet but it basically works. Left-click the cells in the 
      Action and Script columns to make your choices / edits.
Looks very nice and neat and is also easy to handle. :appl: :tup:

Suggestion 1:
Maybe it would make sense to still add caption lines, at least if more CEAs are added, to group them into categories again. Otherwise it might become disorienting. But with the current number of lines it might still be ok.

Suggestion 2:
It would be nice if each event's label text, e.g. "After changing locations", was also findable with the "Jump to Setting..." button. Right now it does not find it.

BTW, thank you for adding the changing locations CEA! :party:

carter

Post by carter »

Don,in the new interface add items by their importance(i.e means the most important feature should be put at first,then second lesser important... for e.g in colors - list is the important item.

carter

Post by carter »

Do like the above for sub categories also.

eil

Post by eil »

autocart wrote: 04 Dec 2020 19:50 It would be nice if each event's label text, e.g. "After changing locations", was also findable with the "Jump to Setting..." button. Right now it does not find it.
+ this too.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

autocart

Post by autocart »

Suggestion 3:
Furthermore, it would be nice if the first, maybe 10, characters of the first line of the script would be displayed in the script column next to the gear wheel. That way, one could put a comment in the first line with a label for identification. Thus, one would have a nice overview of the assigned scripts (also serving as a quick check if the right scripts are assigned to the right events).

If Action is set to something else than "Run script", then these characters could be painted in a different color. (At first I thought they could be greyed out, but normally that would indicate that the control is inactive - in this case looking as if no script could be assigned - which would potentially be misleading. But a different color might work?) Or they could simply be hidden - not displayed - in this case.

Suggestion 4:
An option in the Edit Script dialog would be nice that, if checked, automatically sets the event's Action to "Run script" when the dialog is closed.
This option should be checked by default. Or be hardcoded without option to disable it.

autocart

Post by autocart »

Suggestion 5:
It could be nice if one could select multiple events and thus assign the same action and/or script to multiple events at once (in case one would like to do that). I admit that this is only a side thought, though, if you have spare time and don't know what to do with it...

Suggestion 6:
(compare with suggestion 4)
It could be nice that if the Action is set to "Run script" (and there is no script saved already), that then this would automatically open the Edit Script dialog.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 04 Dec 2020 16:53 Well, I worked on a completely new interface, cute and infinitely extensible. Countless hours... :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: But it's a nice new
Just had the very first look.

Nifty! :tup: