News / RSS

Features wanted...
oblivion

News / RSS

Post by oblivion »

I wish... the RSS news feed wasn't broken. :)

Might be Facebook's fault: if you click on the RSS link on the XY website page (down there in Contact details) it eventually resolves to a Facebook "page not found" error.

Sorry if I'm the 157th person to point it out...
-- bests, Tim

...This space unintentionally left blank.

admin
Site Admin

Re: News / RSS

Post by admin »

oblivion wrote:Sorry if I'm the 157th person to point it out...
Thanks, you were the first! :)

Should work now.

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I just noticed this too! I think there were 2 RSS feeds and one has been fixed and the other hasn't.

On the outer most page, www.xyplorer.com, there's currently this broken-by-Facebook "link" element that I've been using in my RSS reader:

link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Subscribe to RSS Feed" href="http://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.php? ... rmat=rss20"

The "RSS" link down at the bottom of the page works fine... though it is different from what I'm used to. I'm used to just seeing pretty much just the new versions posts, but this feed has quite a lot of noise - "Person X like Post Y" and "Person Z commented on some random photo".

Looks like Facebook's putting some controls on their RSS feeds - I see a "key" in the new URL. Youtube's made some RSS changes recently too but I haven't looked into the details there yet.

Final suggestion - a link to any RSS feeds would go great on the "News" page :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the broken link warning. I fixed that now.

You are right, it is not what it used to be. I cannot find a way to RSS only my published posts. As it is now it's almost completely useless. The whole facebook experience is crap to me. I might just remove it completely from my life. Wrong audience anyway.

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

admin wrote:I cannot find a way to RSS only my published posts. As it is now it's almost completely useless. The whole facebook experience is crap to me. I might just remove it completely from my life.
That's a shame -- I'm a big user of newsfeeds and I'd reached the point of making my update process consist of relying on the posting of update notifications via RSS and then using the (frankly gorgeous, props to Marco and Serendipity) SimpleUpdater script to do the legwork.

Until RSS broke, of course.

Presumably any other solution will add expense and/or system load...?
-- bests, Tim

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know any other solution.

It's a shame then, but obviously I have to remove the Facebook RSS link from the site since it's completely useless. I will keep the Facebook page for the time being.

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

admin wrote:I don't know any other solution.
Google groups? I'm sure I've seen RSS done out of those. Don't really know anything much about the publication end, though.
-- bests, Tim

xyrobert2013

Post by xyrobert2013 »

I don't want to derail this onto a conversation on FB, but I will say that I dropped my account a long time ago.
And watching RSS feeds for software updates is my preferred method too.

I think RSS is a fairly simple markup language that's usually delivered via HTTP, so I'll bet you're 90% there to hosting your own feeds. And I'm sure there are plenty of services that'll host RSS feeds for you ... but I'll bet you're looking for a way to do this without having to post about updates in multiple places. You know, years ago I heard about a service that'd monitor web pages for you and send you an email when they changed. I'll bet there's one that would watch your News page and add an RSS entry to a feed they host. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Anyway, thanks for keeping the updates coming! It's always a nice surprise to find new features :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, RSS is back. I now write my own feed. It will cost me about 2 minutes per publication. It's okay if it means independence from FB. :)

RSS: http://www.xyplorer.com/rss.xml

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

admin wrote:OK, RSS is back. I now write my own feed.
RSS: http://www.xyplorer.com/rss.xml
-- bests, Tim