Default Explorer

Features wanted...
Dana

Default Explorer

Post by Dana »

My request is that XYplorer have an option to make it your default explorer ... the current method of requiring a user to edit the registry is daunting .... atleast for me.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Given that XY is a portable application, and thus will not modify the registry, should a user (like yourself) want a feature that is only available via registry, then you're on your own to make the mod! This puts you in control, and not XY..

Besides, the way I read the wiki, there is a REG file that just needs to be cut/pasted/saved and then executed...quite simple to do...so where's the problem? :? You can cut/paste, save and execute a file, right? :wink:

Update: I see you posted the same item in the other forum at http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=1408 where the details on the registry mod I mentioned was already posted...if you (or others) want to make a question thread into a wish, please include a link or reference back to that so that time isn't spent replying to a thread unnecessarily, ok? And also try and make post subject as descriptive as possible, so others may benefit from it and find it easier.
Thanks!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

I will just add one little thing here: I too think having XY associated with fodlers (or, as default file manager) is a very good thing & I'm glad I got that on my computer.

It seems many other people liek this, and it makes total sense (I think) when one decide to choose XY as new file manager!

Therefore, and because the REG part on the wiki might have to be updated by user (to put the correct path to XYplorer.exe) so it might not be the easiest/simplest thing to do for a newbie, I think there could be an option winthin XY to both do & undo this registry changes.

Sure, XY is portable, but it already has a "XYplorer in shell context menu" that does some registry changes (not before warning the user of course), so I think this one (Set XY as default file manager) could be added the same way, don't you agree?
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

surrender

Post by surrender »

I agree on that.

mikes16

Post by mikes16 »

I think this would be a nice touch too.