Floating Preview: some more candy?

Features wanted...
SkyFrontier

Re: Floating Preview: some more candy?

Post by SkyFrontier »

self wrote:I for two don't even understand why it behaves that way. What possible benefit could justify it? :eh:
admin wrote:I don't remember it. :)
:P
no wonder it's gone...
(for the record: the "pan-on-zoom" thing never worked here, anyway!)
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Talking navigation issues - I still would like to know how others, especially those full of praise for the new mouse-click improvement - cope with it. So we have all those features, Fit Width, Lock Zoom, Lock Zoom Position ... - but I am unable to use them in a smooth manner, because I simply don't know where I am supposed to click? Where do you guys click? I honestly would like to know. Maybe I am missing something?

You always have the status line visible? It seems to be the only area to get a consistent, reliable next/prev click, if you ensure to never move your mouse an inch away. Which I find impossible, I often want to drag regions into view, right-click for the context menu - which does not come up when I park the mouse on the statusbar.
admin wrote:I'm open to better ideas. ;)
I still favor the time-proven method of other viewers. Allowing to click directly on the image, left and right of the middle center line, prev and next respectively. If necessary, make it available only when Blow-up is OFF, I don't need MDBU on fullscreen or floating, that's something for thumbnails.

I find previewing with XY a very distracting experience compared to, say, FastStone where I am not forced to continuously worry about where to click. When I preview, I want to keep my eyes on the images, not on the outer fringe areas, desperate for a free spot to advance to the next pic.
admin wrote:
Stef123 wrote: For the sake of consistency, and to cater to ingrained habits - could the open with ... come on top like elsewhere? Don't know how important it is to still have Prev/Next on top.
1. Well, I think it is where it belongs. FP is a viewer first of all. If you need Open With so often use the keyboard.
That's the other thing I would really like to understand.
Most apps assume - correctly imo - that you navigate EITHER with the mouse OR the keyboard. Some programs even hide their Prev/Next in a context submenu, figuring you won't need them as a keyboard user - and definetely not as a mouse user. Why would you? With alternatives under your fingertips that are more immediate.

I just cannot imagine a keyboarder popping the context menu, THEN using the arrow keys instead of using them right away.
Nor can I imagine a mouser to right-click, THEN click again on Prev/Next. Unless of course, he gets sick of hunting for an area to next-click. Excuse my sarcasm, Don, I know I am the only one not enthusiastic about it. I don't grasp your rationale behind it. Maybe someone can fill me in?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I could indeed add nav-by-click when MDBU is off AND the image is fully shown (no panning / hand cursor necessary). Would that help?

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

I welcome anything and everything in this direction.
Not sure what you mean by "no panning"? That I cannot pan at all? Only via Shift+Arrow keys - which is fine with me (if only it were a bit faster when holding down)? Only via right-mouse panning, which is fine, too. In any case, plase to ahead and implement. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok + Ok.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Wow - now you overwhelmed me. All implemented in one swoop, including the improved panning.
GREAT :appl: - many thanks, so much better now. :tup:

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

FluxTorpedoe wrote: :arrow: Preloading and caching the next and previous photo.
That would be a tremendous speed boost!
Since you seem to be in just the right “Image” spirit, I’m bumping this wish… :D
:whistle:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good move but I'm not even sure it would bring so much speed. The shrinking seems to be the bottleneck (unless your disk is slow). But, I will make some tests if I find the time...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Made some tests and found another way to speed things up notably.

The preloading would be too much work. The current architecture is not made for this. Maybe later when I have more time.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I just recently moved away from XY based tagging system for images. I had loads of tagged files and XY was consuming in excess of 300 MB.

Would you be able to give just one area through which I can trigger my own script.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

nerdweed wrote:I just recently moved away from XY based tagging system for images. I had loads of tagged files and XY was consuming in excess of 300 MB.

Would you be able to give just one area through which I can trigger my own script.
Would triggering the script via keyboard shortcut work?

In FP pull up the right-click context menu and select Advanced Options... (or start with a Ctrl+Right-Click).
In that sub-menu ensure that Allow Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Preview is checked.

Then use User Defined Commands to assign a keyboard shortcut to a Load Script File or Run Script command.
You can use <focitem> in your script to refer to the previewed file.

One caveat is you cannot use a keyboard shortcut which conflicts with those used by the preview.
Help > Floating Preview > Advanced Options Menu wrote:Allow Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Preview: Tick it and you can use all Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in the Floating Preview. This means you can e.g. label/tag/comment the previewed file, or call User-Defined Command scripts, or whatever, right in the Floating Preview!

Note: Arrow keys, Position keys, Space, F2, F5, Esc, Del, Multiply, Divide, Add, and Subtract still have precedence over global Custom Keyboard Shortcuts.
::help 'idh_floatingpreview.htm';

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Hi Qwerty,
I had tried using the custom keyboard shortcuts, but it didn't work well. The normal shortcuts in FP like Zoom to Fit, Fit All, etc stop working then. As a workaround, I am using AHK to trigger the script and it works well.

The script for rating items is completely keyboard driven so no issues there. However; the script I use for tagging then presents an inputselect, I need to continuously move between mouse and keyboard. I am able to do stuff right now, but was looking for this usability booster. No issues if Don doesn't want to put this in.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

nerdweed wrote:However; the script I use for tagging then presents an inputselect, I need to continuously move between mouse and keyboard. I am able to do stuff right now, but was looking for this usability booster.
Re-write the script to be more keyboard driven? :P ;)
(InputSelect isn't too terrible on the keyboard - styles 32+64 often help.)

I admittedly don't do tons of image work or use FP all that frequently, so wasn't aware that broke other shortcuts as well. Shame!

Maybe it could be a new tweak?

Code: Select all

; Tweak: 0=Default (Hidden), 1=ShellContextMenu, 2=Script
CEA_FPLeftClickIcon=
CEA_FPLeftClickIcon_Script=
Or maybe:

Code: Select all

; Tweak: Floating Preview's toolbar buttons
FP_Toolbar=
Then you could tweak it to use CTBs or any of the other buttons (though many won't make sense).

Just throwing out some ideas! :whistle: :biggrin:

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I use style 2 which makes it difficult to use with keyboard. I am all in for the two tweaks you suggested.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will add a (optional) "run script" button to FP.